BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New in the forum, if i want to replace the throttle body, do i have to take the car to the dealer/indy shop, or i can just do it in my garage?

I have to replace it, but i don't want to spend $400 as labor to dealer.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
You can do it. First time I did a throttle body job was in an apartment parking lot with a 1/4 inch ratchet set.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
That could be caused by a number of things other than the TB.

When you depress the gas, the tach indicates 2000 rpm engine speed but the car is sluggish to accelerate? If the engine speed is 2000 rpm, then the throttle butterfly is opening and increasing the engine speed. Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That could be caused by a number of things other than the TB.

When you depress the gas, the tach indicates 2000 rpm engine speed but the car is sluggish to accelerate? If the engine speed is 2000 rpm, then the throttle butterfly is opening and increasing the engine speed. Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

it is automatic transmission, and i have a good 67K mile, it's a 2004 325ci M54 engine.

At higher RPM , everything seems to be all ok.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Based on your report, I really don't see this being a throttle body issue. I don't have much to go on here but I would suggest that this is either a transmission issue or possibly a transmission software problem. You might want to have a shop check it out for you before you start replacing parts that might not need to be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on your report, I really don't see this being a throttle body issue. I don't have much to go on here but I would suggest that this is either a transmission issue or possibly a transmission software problem. You might want to have a shop check it out for you before you start replacing parts that might not need to be replaced.
Thanks for your opinion, and i am sorry that i forgot to mention the SES light is on, and throwing a throttle body final stage something ( if i remember correctly). I did the check 2 months ago, till now i feel very big lag in accelerating.

Again, i apologize for bring this information this late. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i remember correctly it was throttle valve final stage fault. and the shop told me it is ok to drive for some time until i feel i must replace the throttle assembly.

TxZHP04 , Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Then perhaps this is throttle related. It would be interesting to know the exact code(s) being thrown (and what tool was used to read them). That fault description doesn't seem to match anything I have listed for your car (although it does exist for the older MS42 DME).

Does the engine speed just hang out about 2000 rpm for those 2 seconds before the car starts accelerating or does the engine speed continue climbing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then perhaps this is throttle related. It would be interesting to know the exact code(s) being thrown (and what tool was used to read them). That fault description doesn't seem to match anything I have listed for your car (although it does exist for the older MS42 DME).

Does the engine speed just hang out about 2000 rpm for those 2 seconds before the car starts accelerating or does the engine speed continue climbing?
Thanks for the input.

In the lag time, the speed grows very slow while engine is around 1,500 to 2,000 rpm. The after the lag time, the engine rpm was very responsive and the speed would increase very fast with engine speed.

I am wondering replace the TB will make the light goes off.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
You can do it. First time I did a throttle body job was in an apartment parking lot with a 1/4 inch ratchet set.
Yep, and alot of patience. Got a Big Bore TB and cant feel or hear a difference.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You could also try this:
Unhook the battery for about 10 minutes.
Hook it back up.
Turn on the key (don't start the car) to where all of the instrument lights are on (don't touch anything)
Wait for one minute
Start the car and drive it

Usually the DME runs the throttle body through an adaptation when you do this. This is just a confirmation of the throttle angle being reported as to what is requested.

This might do absolutely nothing but it's easy and worth a shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts