BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am planning out my audio upgrade to my sedan with HK -- question regarding amps..

am planning on running three amps:
-1x 1200w 2 ch amp to power two 10" subs (rms 300 watts per sub)
-1x 2 ch amp to power front component speakers (rms ~100 watts per channel)
-1x stock tiny HK amp to power rear speakers

am I going to have any battery / power issues running three amps like this? should I completely remove the HK amp and run a 4 channel amp to power front components and rear speakers instead?

thoughts / comments appreciated

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't have the hk system. But i went with 2 amps 600x for the sub and a 125x4 for my mids and highs. No problems with the stock bat but mine is only a year old. Plan on replacing your bat more frequently. If you get a new bat make sure it has a 36 month free replacemen. I gurantee you will have to replace it brfore the 36 months.

·
Registered
136 Posts
should I completely remove the HK amp and run a 4 channel amp to power front components and rear speakers instead?

thoughts / comments appreciated
well, you asked :rolleyes: :p

i meant if you are using aftermarket speakers, i wouldn't use the HK amp because of the impedance issues. if you're going to do a true upgrade, you might as well replace the crap paper speakers...

i myself am going with a (60x4 +1000x1) 5-channel amp, nice, clean, simple & takes up less space, less wiring, no current draw issues. i'm trying to conserve my trunk space to retain easy access to my spare tire. okay, so that's my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well, you asked :rolleyes: :p
cents :D
yeah yeah forgot I included that..

I am trying to do somewhat of a budget upgrade / don't want to tear apart the entire system as I'm unsure as to how long I will keep the car..

my current plan is to put new components in the front to replace tweeters and midbasses with their own 2 ch amp & 2 shallow mount 10" subs (in homemade BSW style box) in trunk with their own 2 ch amp, leave all other stock HK crud in place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts