E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1387 Posts

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,419 Posts
Does anyone know what this connector is? It seems plugged to the female but the female seems plugged to nothing. It sits behind the intake manifold, between the engine and the firewall

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,419 Posts
Quick question
I recently did an oil change, oil I used is castrol edge titanium FST European fully synthetic (not hydro cracked) 5w-40. Problem is that in my hurry instead of grabbing the LL04 oil approved for BMW I grabbed the dextron2 oil spec. Now I can't conclude if the specs are equivalent or close enough, but it seems that also the LL04 Castrol doesn't actually mention ll04 on the bottle, that I think so at least. So I'm good to keep it or I am risking my engine? (It's already in for about 1000 kms)

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 780 K km
1,544 Posts
Dextron 2 - is it sort of a joke because it is a tread for silly questions, or you are asking for real?
If you mean to ask, any oil within viscosity 30/40 will work just fine with your engine, even if it is mineral one. Nothing will happen, not for 1000 Km.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,419 Posts
Dextron 2 - is it sort of a joke because it is a tread for silly questions, or you are asking for real?
If you mean to ask, any oil within viscosity 30/40 will work just fine with your engine, even if it is mineral one. Nothing will happen, not for 1000 Km.
Well I posted here cause it is a silly mistake , but the question is legitimate and I haven't been so proficient with all that staff that's going on with oil so I skipped a beat for a second. But I actually yeah I am asking if its okay to keep the oil or remove it. After some research it seems to me that dextron 2 covers LL04 but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 780 K km
1,544 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but Dextron is ATF, and I have no clue how it could be affiliated with engine oils.
Anyway, Castrol 5w40 is good oil, nothing will be wrong with you as long as you change it with intervals not longer than 10K km.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,419 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but Dextron is ATF, and I have no clue how it could be affiliated with engine oils.
Anyway, Castrol 5w40 is good oil, nothing will be wrong with you as long as you change it with intervals not longer than 10K km.
Yeah my intervals are exactly that, 10K kilometers, actually the standard is dexos2, not dextron, sorry if I messed up, yeah dextron is Atf I know, though it would have done a good cleaning

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,029 Posts
All oils leave behind a thin colored film. Some more than others. I haven't used Castrol in some time.
It used to be, that it left a light to medium brown color under the valve cover.
Redline also left behind a film, owing to more oil/less detergent IMO.

The newer Shell/BMW oils are very clean in this respect.
The "Castrol Film"as I call it, is of no harm.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,419 Posts
All oils leave behind a thin colored film. Some more than others. I haven't used Castrol in some time.
It used to be, that it left a light to medium brown color under the valve cover.
Redline also left behind a film, owing to more oil/less detergent IMO.

The newer Shell/BMW oils are very clean in this respect.
The "Castrol Film"as I call it, is of no harm.
Yeah, that was my understanding too. Have you any opinion about dexos2? Will I be good or do I have to better change it for an LL04?

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,029 Posts
I would avoid the use of a LL-04 oil. See my recent information from Germany about LL-01, LL-01FE and LL-04.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,419 Posts
I would avoid the use of a LL-04 oil. See my recent information from Germany about LL-01, LL-01FE and LL-04.

Yeah I know that's not as good as LL01, but I'm not sure I can get LL01 anymore here in Greece

1361 - 1380 of 1387 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.