E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1387 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They have this thread in the Audi Forum (I'm no traitor, my girlfriend had an oil issue) Section and I thought we could use one in the E46 section.

So here is the place to feel free to ask anything you want about your car, there is no question too dumb. If you read something in this thread you have the answer for, please chime in.

I think this way we will avoid new posts in the section with question that have been covered numerous times. Nearly everyday we have someone asking a simple question.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have been burning a lot of oil. I use 0w-3 oil, is that too thin?

(JK - I like the idea here, I could see it being stickied if it catches on)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Do stickers really add more horsepower? Where do you buy blinker fluid? Is it really that cool when VTEC kicks in? I walked up to a girl yesterday, pointed at my car, and said "BMW." Why didn't this seal the deal?

·
Administrator
19,195 Posts
Do stickers really add more horsepower?
Cactus stickers on your bicycle seat will make you ride faster.

Where do you buy blinker fluid?
Same place you buy muffler bearings.

Is it really that cool when VTEC kicks in?
Only if you're rocking some JDM.

I walked up to a girl yesterday, pointed at my car, and said "BMW." Why didn't this seal the deal?
You need to point with a certain appendage to really make an impression.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,604 Posts
Does anybody else hear their fuel pump running outside their car? I guess I've effectively made my engine idle so quiet when standing beside the car I now here it over, or about the same loudness, the engine. Pump and filter are OEM and have about 15k on them. :dunno:

One more: Should I attempt a manual swap without a lift? The extent of my DIYs is having done a full suspension replacement to OFHG and VANOs. And should I wait for my automatic to fail?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
On a more serious note... Today I think my auto transmission failed on me. For a couple months the car was having rough shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. I probably should've had it looked at, but I decided not to because I just graduated from college and plan to buy a new car in the next year or so. I also only do city driving, no highway.

This is my second auto transmission. The first one failed at ~ 66,000 miles (reverse gear). The repair set me back $4,000 just for a rebuild. Now my car is at 143,000 miles and the transmission won't shift out of second.

I guess there is no way of know what's wrong until I get it looked at. I just have trouble thinking about spending another $4k on a car that is worth less than that now.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Initially I was thinking it was as simple as a transmission fluid flush and filter change. Now I'm not sure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does anybody else hear their fuel pump running outside their car? I guess I've effectively made my engine idle so quiet when standing beside the car I now here it over, or about the same loudness, the engine. Pump and filter are OEM and have about 15k on them. :dunno:
The pumps are pretty noisy, more so when the tank isn't full. Fill the tank, and it'll dampen the noise.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thread: Questions you thought were too dumb to ask

Is it possible to have a car for such a long time, but also you've never touched a window regulator or the FSR?

Almost 3 years with my e46, I've replaced the FSR (the one gone bad was original) but I haven't replaced a single window regulator.

Many members talk like they replace regulators every fuel-up.

1 - 20 of 1387 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.