BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on Fiat coming to the states as part of the Chrysler deal. I am beginning to like that. I hope that Alpha Romeo will come back too that will give people more cool options for cars that are fun to drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fiat are MUCH better than they used to be 15 or 20 yrs ago. I'm glad they're coming over. Having said that, Mercedes couldn't get Chrysler up to scratch and BMW gave up on Rover in the UK (in the 90s). Not a great track record for European companies taking over failing auto makers.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on Fiat coming to the states as part of the Chrysler deal. I am beginning to like that. I hope that Alpha Romeo will come back too that will give people more cool options for cars that are fun to drive.
They've been planning Alfo Romeo's return for years now it seems... haven't heard any news on that though and I'm not holding my breath just yet.

As for Fiat... bad timing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess Alpha is coming this year to the states. I do remember there were a few spiders around in the 80's always thought they were cool. Like the look of them it would be nice to see some alternatives. Did not see any fiats that woudl float my boat though.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
I guess Alpha is coming this year to the states. I do remember there were a few spiders around in the 80's always thought they were cool. Like the look of them it would be nice to see some alternatives. Did not see any fiats that woudl float my boat though.
Will this fiat float your boat ?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Fiat are MUCH better than they used to be 15 or 20 yrs ago. I'm glad they're coming over. Having said that, Mercedes couldn't get Chrysler up to scratch and BMW gave up on Rover in the UK (in the 90s). Not a great track record for European companies taking over failing auto makers.
+1

I would have to agree that if Daimler Benz could not make Chrysler profitable then it is very unlikely that Fiat will be able to do so.

In the early 80's I had a 1972 Fiat 124 Sport 2 door coupe 5 speed. It was a blast to drive and while it had limited power, the handling was terrific = it took corners like it was on rails. But the motor gave up the ghost on me and after I personally towed the car home, the car disappeared off the street shortly after that. So I never did figure out what went wrong with the engine. These cars were never that reliable.

The old style Fiat 124 4 door sedan lives on today as the Russian-built Lada.
They are still being made there today, and there are millions of these running around in Russia, and even a good number of them in Cuba too.

I cannot vouch for the reliability of a modern Fiat, but I am sure many here on the forum may have experience with them.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I had a 1969 Fiat 850 spider, and a 84 Alfa Romeo Guiletta. I liked them, but the electrical and maintenance with Italian cars is a joke. They look and sound nice....but in my opinion, they are overpriced, cost tons to maintain....and will fail again in the US. Now, when I was stationed in Italy, they were cheap to buy. I personally like Lancia. The prices on a new Alfa are straight up lame for their reliability....but than again....English Lucas wiring sucked also on Jags. If I was to get an Alfa, I would get a spyder, old one....you can find them for a few grand used.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
How the heck does this belong in the general E46 forum?

·
Registered
588 Posts
^^^ thanks now i cant stand up from my computer desk for the next couple minutes

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Alfa need to get back to making RWD cars, apart from that I love their styling and sound.

Have they said which model Fiats they'll be selling there yet?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I don't know if anyones realised this yet but they're called alfa romeo, not alpha

and to save everyone 10 seconds, heres proof so you dont have to google it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts