E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a newbie so any help is appreciated.......i want to purchase an M3 but i was very overwhelmed by the agressiveness of how it drove when i first test drove it.....(compared to how my IS300 feels)

how long did it take you guys to get use to driving it from your previous car? a few buddies of mine told me it took them about a week or two to get used to the aggressiveness.....same for you guys?

also when i put it in automatic mode, i felt a lag when it shifted.....(more so then when i shifted in SMG mode).......is there some kind of ground kit to reduce the lag?

i want the m3 badly, but i'm afraid i can't handle the aggresiveness....... or basically does it just take time to get use to? when i first test drove it, i let off the gas when i shifted and it shook the car (scared the hell out of me)- so the guy told me to keep the foot constantly on when shifting.......the shaking also happened again when i let off gas and then stepped on it again to enter the parking lot.......can someone please explain why this happens?

also, do you guys find yourselves driving more in SMG mode or automatic?

thanks for your input.. :)
 

·
name's PHIL
Joined
·
5,887 Posts
buy a 6 speed then......u should really test drive both

OH and over whelmed by the aggresiveness :spit: , i'd get used to it in a sec..........a Dodge Viper now pushing 500+ is something to be over whelmed about :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He and his said:
buy a 6 speed then......u should really test drive both

OH and over whelmed by the aggresiveness :spit: , i'd get used to it in a sec..........a Dodge Viper now pushing 500+ is something to be over whelmed about :)
hahaha....well remember i'm coming from driving an IS300........this M3 has about 100 more hp so thats why i was in aww when i drove it.... :bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
ThisFlyGuy said:
i'm a newbie so any help is appreciated.......i want to purchase an M3 but i was very overwhelmed by the agressiveness of how it drove when i first test drove it.....(compared to how my IS300 feels)

how long did it take you guys to get use to driving it from your previous car? a few buddies of mine told me it took them about a week or two to get used to the aggressiveness.....same for you guys?

also when i put it in automatic mode, i felt a lag when it shifted.....(more so then when i shifted in SMG mode).......is there some kind of ground kit to reduce the lag?

i want the m3 badly, but i'm afraid i can't handle the aggresiveness....... or basically does it just take time to get use to? when i first test drove it, i let off the gas when i shifted and it shook the car (scared the hell out of me)- so the guy told me to keep the foot constantly on when shifting.......the shaking also happened again when i let off gas and then stepped on it again to enter the parking lot.......can someone please explain why this happens?

also, do you guys find yourselves driving more in SMG mode or automatic?

thanks for your input.. :)
Get a 6spd! I had and SMG for about 7 months and thankfully I made the dealership take back the car for numerous reasons and I got a standard instead. I regreted the SMG and doubted the decision everyday but it all worked out in the end. Thank God because I wasn't truely happy with the SMG. The SMG is a lazey mans standard. With the SMG I also felt like I could not feel the car, something about not having a clutch just didn't feel right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
ThisFlyGuy said:
i'm a newbie so any help is appreciated.......i want to purchase an M3 but i was very overwhelmed by the agressiveness of how it drove when i first test drove it.....(compared to how my IS300 feels)

how long did it take you guys to get use to driving it from your previous car? a few buddies of mine told me it took them about a week or two to get used to the aggressiveness.....same for you guys?

also when i put it in automatic mode, i felt a lag when it shifted.....(more so then when i shifted in SMG mode).......is there some kind of ground kit to reduce the lag?

i want the m3 badly, but i'm afraid i can't handle the aggresiveness....... or basically does it just take time to get use to? when i first test drove it, i let off the gas when i shifted and it shook the car (scared the hell out of me)- so the guy told me to keep the foot constantly on when shifting.......the shaking also happened again when i let off gas and then stepped on it again to enter the parking lot.......can someone please explain why this happens?

also, do you guys find yourselves driving more in SMG mode or automatic?

thanks for your input.. :)
I dont know if your IS300 is manual or automatic, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, then its normal.

You cant just take your foot off the gas when accellerating and then let the car slow down all of a sudden and then step on the gas again (to go into a parking lot), the car will buck you (ESPECIALLY in sport mode). You just have to be more smooth. I have a 6 speed so i cant comment on SMG, but when I test drove my car, I barely knew stick and I didn't really find the car "aggressive" or difficult to drive, just fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
ThisFlyGuy said:
i'm a newbie so any help is appreciated.......i want to purchase an M3 but i was very overwhelmed by the agressiveness of how it drove when i first test drove it.....(compared to how my IS300 feels)

how long did it take you guys to get use to driving it from your previous car? a few buddies of mine told me it took them about a week or two to get used to the aggressiveness.....same for you guys?

also when i put it in automatic mode, i felt a lag when it shifted.....(more so then when i shifted in SMG mode).......is there some kind of ground kit to reduce the lag?

i want the m3 badly, but i'm afraid i can't handle the aggresiveness....... or basically does it just take time to get use to? when i first test drove it, i let off the gas when i shifted and it shook the car (scared the hell out of me)- so the guy told me to keep the foot constantly on when shifting.......the shaking also happened again when i let off gas and then stepped on it again to enter the parking lot.......can someone please explain why this happens?

also, do you guys find yourselves driving more in SMG mode or automatic?

thanks for your input.. :)
If you want to reduce the shifting lag in the automated mode you have to set it to A4 or A5.

For sequential mode you want to put it in S4 or S5. The higher rpms you're at the faster and firmer the shift will be.

I only use automated mode in traffic. Rest is sequential.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,715 Posts
I know exactly what u mean by the aggressiveness. What Drivelogic program was the SMG set on? Was it in sport mode? When we went to test drive my M3, the dealer had set the drivelogic all the way to top and the sport mode was on, so it was on the most aggressive SMG mode possible, and we didn't know that and we spun out just coming out of the parking lot.

You're not supposed to lift the gas up when you shift using SMG, it's actually not good for the car, you're supposed to continue the constant throttle.

My M3 has gotten better as it really does "Learn" after a while. All of your friends that have said that they got used to their cars in a week or so is true, but it's also because the car settles down. At least mine did... :)

good luck with the M3 buying, you'll love it if you got the $$ for it. any more questions, e-mail me, [email protected] or AIM: revolt1112
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2001BMW330xi said:
I know exactly what u mean by the aggressiveness. What Drivelogic program was the SMG set on? Was it in sport mode? When we went to test drive my M3, the dealer had set the drivelogic all the way to top and the sport mode was on, so it was on the most aggressive SMG mode possible, and we didn't know that and we spun out just coming out of the parking lot.

You're not supposed to lift the gas up when you shift using SMG, it's actually not good for the car, you're supposed to continue the constant throttle.

My M3 has gotten better as it really does "Learn" after a while. All of your friends that have said that they got used to their cars in a week or so is true, but it's also because the car settles down. At least mine did... :)

good luck with the M3 buying, you'll love it if you got the $$ for it. any more questions, e-mail me, [email protected] or AIM: revolt1112
thanks for the input guys........i guess i need more drive time...... :thumbup:
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
12,638 Posts
now now guys don't be cats i can tell you about it because

i have a 2003m3. if you want the bucking to almost be gone don't put on the sport button in any of the a modes in city driving. when you put on the sport button you have to drive fast period. then you can kill any 6 speed on the road hehehe.... and when you shift in s mode leave your foot on the gas. you don't have to take it off like the 6 speed guys do when they change
gears. i myself leave the car in a3 in the city driving without the sport button on. car is quick enough and you don't get that bucking in 1 to 2 gear i would say 95 % of it goes away. but if you like you can drive in the s modes put then you would have to shift. took me a few weeks to get use to driving and shifting between all the modes. took me 6 months to learn about not driving with the sport button on in the city in the a modes. don't forget that it will
make your driving more fun by far. just remember more yellow lights are lite
the more faster car will be with less lag time. but you will have a lower mpg
average less lights on you will get better gas millage. i get around 15 mpg mix
between city and highway with geting on my car in a5 or s6 with the sport button on. if you have any more questions just ask me and i will answer you honestly.

one thing you should know if you buy the smg or a 6 speed m3 if you are going to drive in the snow as little as 1/8" of a inch you will need 4 snow tires.
if you don't have snow tires on your car you will slide very where with 4 snow tires you will be driving almost as good as bmw x3. remember this if you get a
e-46 m3..... good luck and happy to have you in the forum and congtr. on
geting a m3...

to just give you some stat's on the m3
0-60 in 4.8 sec.
1/4 mile any where from 13.2 with the right set up
1/4 mile in a6 with sport button on and just floor it you will get low 14. sec.
1/4 mile in s6 with sport button on and floor it i got a time of 13.88 sec.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
arggg.... how many times do I have to tell ppl SMG IS 6SPEED!! :nono:
You should say Regular Manual vs SMG !!
Soon, SMG will be only transmission available for all the M cars when they come with 7speed SMG!! And don't even think about 7speed regular manual, it won't happen! 7speed is only possible with SMG's super fast shifting, regular manual will not match 7speed SMG's performance... well even current SMG is starting to take over manual anywayz look CSL, Ferrari Enzo, etc
SMG RULES~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
mybada said:
arggg.... how many times do I have to tell ppl SMG IS 6SPEED!! :nono:
you know, i was such a stickler on this until this weekend. a friend asked me how the m3 comes. and i said "smg or 6 speed". then i said in my head "aw crap i don't believe i just said that." so... i'm gonna go hide now. :eeps:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bobm3 said:
i have a 2003m3. if you want the bucking to almost be gone don't put on the sport button in any of the a modes in city driving. when you put on the sport button you have to drive fast period. then you can kill any 6 speed on the road hehehe.... and when you shift in s mode leave your foot on the gas. you don't have to take it off like the 6 speed guys do when they change
gears. i myself leave the car in a3 in the city driving without the sport button on. car is quick enough and you don't get that bucking in 1 to 2 gear i would say 95 % of it goes away. but if you like you can drive in the s modes put then you would have to shift. took me a few weeks to get use to driving and shifting between all the modes. took me 6 months to learn about not driving with the sport button on in the city in the a modes. don't forget that it will
make your driving more fun by far. just remember more yellow lights are lite
the more faster car will be with less lag time. but you will have a lower mpg
average less lights on you will get better gas millage. i get around 15 mpg mix
between city and highway with geting on my car in a5 or s6 with the sport button on. if you have any more questions just ask me and i will answer you honestly.

one thing you should know if you buy the smg or a 6 speed m3 if you are going to drive in the snow as little as 1/8" of a inch you will need 4 snow tires.
if you don't have snow tires on your car you will slide very where with 4 snow tires you will be driving almost as good as bmw x3. remember this if you get a
e-46 m3..... good luck and happy to have you in the forum and congtr. on
geting a m3...

to just give you some stat's on the m3
0-60 in 4.8 sec.
1/4 mile any where from 13.2 with the right set up
1/4 mile in a6 with sport button on and just floor it you will get low 14. sec.
1/4 mile in s6 with sport button on and floor it i got a time of 13.88 sec.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanks man.......by the way, love your car!!!! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
ThisFlyGuy said:
thanks man.......by the way, love your car!!!! :thumbup:
Hello there I am a newbie to SMG also
After reading leos website I had enough knowledge on SMG and how to use it

Within a week I am very comfortable in driving the SMG around town or highway

1) I can up-shift in A4 mode as smooth as an automatic in city driving and I have just learned to upshift smoothly in very agressive driving also , it was challenging initially to shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd when giving lot of throttle
The trick is to shift when the rpm's have levelled off and not rising and by slighlty backing off throttle ( takes practice to time this perfectly )

2) A3 mode is very smooth in city , you just have to feather the throttle as the car automatically shifts from 1st to 2nd

In both modes I have the sport mode off


Good luck
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top