BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this thule roof rack off my friends jetta. she had no use for it so she gave it to me for free. do you think this would still work on my E46? it fits perfect on top but i cant seem to find the correct mounts for my car. haaalp!

this isnt my pic but its identical to the one i have.

·
Registered
682 Posts
no, you either need to get the e46-Specific base, made by Thule (fits into the flip-up slots on your roof), or Yakima Q-towers which are universal

both companies websites will help you find the right base

the load bars should work

you will of course still need to buy a bike carrier

EDIT: Yakima Q-towers might not work with Thule bars (don't quote me on that though)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, you either need to get the e46 Specific base, or Yakima Q-towers which are universal
fuuuuuuuuck! thats money i dont wanna spend...on a lighter note someone asked to buy it from me for $100

·
Registered
159 Posts
dunno if they might fit w/ certain clips, but NOT worth it imo. I have the Thule specific BMW model, comes off/on in like 2 minutes and doesn't mess up the paint

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it would be for a snowboard but yeah i hear what you're sayin...damnit

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Fit kits are very hard to find for the E46 because of the Thule specialty piece, but they do/did exist. I think one of them was discountinued. You are looking for an E46 Sedan "fit kit"

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fit kits are very hard to find for the E46 because of the Thule specialty piece, but they do/did exist. I think one of them was discountinued. You are looking for an E46 Sedan "fit kit"
yeah a fit kit is what ive been looking for but no luck

so sell them for $100 and buy the ones u want...
cuz it would be cheaper/easier to find a fit kit than go out and buy and brand new one.

Complete Thule roof racks for bikes cost somewhere around $600
yeah they are expensive as hell

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
yeah a fit kit is what ive been looking for but no luck

cuz it would be cheaper/easier to find a fit kit than go out and buy and brand new one.

yeah they are expensive as hell
3065 was the kit for either the coupe or sedan at one point iirc, might want to look that up. Fit kits differ based on the foot pack, so tell us what model foot pack you have. Should be written on it somewhere.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Complete Thule roof racks for bikes cost somewhere around $600
?? no they don't.. unless you're including the cost of the bike.

I purchased my OEM roof rack system+bike attachment+snowboard attachment for less than $300 total.

·
Registered
682 Posts
?? no they don't.. unless you're including the cost of the bike.

I purchased my OEM roof rack system+bike attachment+snowboard attachment for less than $300 total.

show me where...website?

price I gave is from Thule, I understand it might be cheaper if you order it when you buy your car. I'm assuming OP isn't going to be buying a new car just to get a deal on bike rack

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i know THAT exact one wont work. but i wanted to buy a different foot pack. fvck it i'll just buy a new one

·
Registered
589 Posts
show me where...website?

price I gave is from Thule, I understand it might be cheaper if you order it when you buy your car. I'm assuming OP isn't going to be buying a new car just to get a deal on bike rack
huh? Just go to your BMW dealer and ask. You don't need to purchase a new car just to get a roof rack.......

Cost to consumer after dealer discount is $165.00 for base assembly and $95.00 for bike rack. Looking at it right now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts