E46 Fanatics Forum banner

this may come off sounding a little stupid

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  330exeye 
#1 ·
But the sound a fuel pump priming in an E46 sounds similar to any other car correct? I turn the key and the only priming I hear is what sounds like HVAC doors or something or another opening/closing in the dash. Sitting in the back seat I can't hear the pump.

My question is then, does the E46 pump humm when the key is turned into second position just like any other car?

#8 ·
Yeah, I'm mad that I haven***8217;t paid attention to what it sounds like. I know what the pump sounds like in my old car, it echoes in my head.
I'm about 85% sure it***8217;s the pump, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and tried to turn the car over. It yielded the same results as with the fuse still installed. its covered under the extended warranty I got with the car, even a free tow but no company will tow the car while im at work. Which I understand.

#9 ·
I call the mechanic to tell him a tow truck will be dropping the car off and he says yeah were driving it off now, whats the problem? :wtf: no matter what i tried last night I couldn't get it to work, same went for this morning. tried multiple times to no avail. and the two guy says he was able to drive it up and down the flat bed.
does anyone know what this means?

#10 ·
Yes, the fuel pump should hum for a few seconds when you turn the key to position 2. You have to give it a minute or two before it'll do it again, but the sound should be noticeable even with the vents behind the dash opening and closing.

So you've checked the fuse. How about the relay? You can swap with the horn relay to test. You can also check for voltage at the pump if you have a voltmeter.

#11 ·
Didn't check the relay. guy at the shop said he would look into it anyway and get back to me. 3hours later and nothing. next time I need to just have it taken to the dealership. the shop up the street is good If I know what the problem is and I say fix it. but when it comes to trouble shooting, forgetabout it. Damnit, looks like another day with little sisters seabring vert :throwup:

#12 ·
Don't quit yet! This is definitely some troubleshooting and repair you can DIY (including the pump if that's the problem).

As for the vert, at least the weather's not too bad in Philly right now! :rofl:
Or is it? :eek:

#13 ·
Key word, for now. there is a reason my 16 year old little sister scores a 2000 seabring vert as her fist car and I started with an 89 golf. the rear class although it sits there, is completely disconnected from the fabric around it, so if it rains, I'll have to run outside put a tarp over it, and the drive home I should expect to get wet because the roof is beat to trash. but it was only $300 from a friend.
not giving up, normally I'd DIY all this myself, but I figured, I've got the warranty, why not get some play out of it, up to now the only thing it covered was a new battery, but even that was just the dealership feeling bad I had the car back in two weeks after I bought it.
I know its either the relay or the pump. I wish I had tried the relay before I took it in, it didn't even dawn on me. I figured since I checked the fuse that was that. Once I get out of work I'm going to call the shop and figure out what exactly they've been/are doing with the car

#14 ·
Forecast says rain so hope you get it back today then or you'll be "bringing the sea" wherever you go. Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist. (I think dmax is rubbing off on me. Not literally, of course.)

Ah yes, I would have taken advantage of the warranty, too. Well, good luck. Sounds like a simple fix to me!

#15 ·
So this is where it stands now. Mechanic could not replicate the issue, nor could I in the two day's I've had it back. I have a shaky idle at times, but nothing like when my DISA/DESA, whatever it was, went bad. This weekend I'll be doing an oil change, fuel filter change overall check up on the car.
Next week I plan on VCG and SPark Plugs Although I'm sure they have nothing to do with the issue at hand, it's jus something I've had on the calendar to do for some time now.
I've also ordered a new relay from the dealership, we'll pop that in, along with the new fuel filter that'll be two 2/3 taken care of.
*sigh,* forget this warranty bull, I'm not going to wait for the car to break before I fix a problem

#17 ·
I'm surprised I get asked that so frequently. I was poppin shots of my car one day and as I was shooting we got a quick sun shower, the roof was wet, car had just been waxed so the water beaded up on the roof, popped a shot of the shark fin and voilà, we have the mysterious signature picture that leaves so many puzzled. haha.

#18 ·
Car is back in the Damn shop, died out on me as I was driving home from work...during rush hour traffic, on a a two lane rd. with no pull off :facepalm: pull off to the side only to find the flat bed can't pull up in front of me due to the angle. I know its the pump, car felt like it was sputtering while I was driving, so I went into 6th gear floored it and the car started to sputter bad! went to third drive fine for about 20 feet then sputtered out and died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.