BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or this is why you should do prior research before ordering parts.

So my 2002 330ci has been randomly stalling for what seemed to be no apparent reason for about a year. Finally about a month ago the service engine soon light came on. I took it to autozone to get the code read. They told me it was the intake camshaft sensor. I asked if it would make the car stall and they said yes. So they brought me inside to look up the part at the counter and this is what they showed me >>> autozone cam sensor webpage result.jpg

I put the part in the engine light went out and I thought I was all good. The light came back on the next day.

The resluts were the same as when I went home and searched it myself on their site. I sent a complaint through their support page and heard back from the regional manager the next day. I explained to him that his instore computer system and online search results were both wrong. He sounded a little unsure but said it would be no problem the return even though it had been installed already.

I then searched many other sites to find that they were all showing the parts opposite what autozone had and they were almost all half the price of autozone also. So I ordered my parts and when they came in swapped em out and the light went out and stayed out. And I returned the autozone part no problem.

Here's some of my other results>>> AA autozone cam sensor 33.jpg AA bav auto cam sensor 33.jpg AA bma cam sensor 33.jpg AA fcp cam sensor 33.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
You could have bought a Peake Research fault reader for the price of the wrong sensor and never had to worry about AutoZone again. For me it was the best (and first) investment I made for my BMW.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you would of just bought an OE part to begin with (which is a must for sensors) then you wouldn't of had that problem. I'm not judging, I did the same exact thing. I got a defective part. Fed up, I just went to the dealership and paid the extra dough which immediately turned off the light and it hasn't been back in 5 or 6 months.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You could have bought a Peake Research fault reader for the price of the wrong sensor and never had to worry about AutoZone again. For me it was the best (and first) investment I made for my BMW.
How would the peak tool tell me? I would've got the incorrect part at AutoZone still anywaywhen it is incorrect in their system. The peak tool would give me a code and I would bring the code and fault reason to them and tell them it was my intake sensor and they would have still sold me the exhaust one all UNKNOWINGLY!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'd never buy a sensor at Autozone

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sounds like autozone was actually good to you and gave you your money back with no problem. Its a generic autoparts store and mistakes like that will happen. What's you problem?? Go to a dealer, pay premium price and get the exact fit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They're ok for cheap parts fast. I've gotten into many verbal arguments though bcuz the know it all employees swear by what the computer lists as correct parts and I'll clearly be holding a different part than what the computer lists in my hands for reference.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Don't trust autozone's parts catalog. Don't trust autozone employees because they can barely tie their own shoes and only rely on the parts catalog.

You tell them what you need, not the other way around.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Autozone for sensors? I do not think so. But okay for spark plugs, as long as they do not have the Autozone brand name on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
autozone isnt geared for BMW's

It is geared for the high % of cars on the road, camrys, explorers, mustangs, etc. Try to get a Volvo part there, it aint happening. I do use autozone for cheap parts, but critical parts for BMW come from elsewhere (note, yes I do have an AZ waterpump in the BMW).

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of autozone. I think there customer service kind of sucks
Wouldn't that depend on the employees at each individual store? Like do the GA staff members get on the phone to my PA Autozone workers and tell them to treat me with condescension?

Actually I've always had great service from my local Autozone. Guy even took my old battery back and found a way to get extra credit on a new battery for a real nice savings!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
never buy aftermarket sensors, especially from autozone.. You can buy oe
Sensors at partsgeek.com for half price..

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Wouldn't that depend on the employees at each individual store? Like do the GA staff members get on the phone to my PA Autozone workers and tell them to treat me with condescension?

Actually I've always had great service from my local Autozone. Guy even took my old battery back and found a way to get extra credit on a new battery for a real nice savings!
Well you would be correct. My autozone you stand around for 15 minutes before you're even looked at. I only buy parts for my Beetle (1973) and oil and fluids for the BMW's. That's about it.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Well you would be correct. My autozone you stand around for 15 minutes before you're even looked at.
Interesting. I can't walk into mine just to browse. Guys ask me if they can help as I walk thru the door. Kinda like in a furniture store when you just want to look around.
You are correct, and I don't buy BMW parts at any chain store. Just the basics. Mostly chemicals.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Peake tool would have helped because you never would have had to take it to Autozone in the first place. Generic code readers make mistakes too; usually by not being specific enough. The Peake tool reads the code, you look it up and you get online with your favorite parts supplier.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Autozone for sensors? I do not think so. But okay for spark plugs, as long as they do not have the Autozone brand name on it.
Make sure you get the 4 electrode plugs. NGK BKR6EQUP are OE for the car. Some people have problems with others, but i've been running Bosch Platinum +4 for over 10k with no problems.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So you went to auto zone, made a repair with an over priced crappy sensor on your BMW with no other information besides a code and the guy behind the counters word (that probably drives a Honda civic with everything from their pimp out aisle on it), and your upset the repair didn't fix it and you had to get another part from somewhere else?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts