E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I came because I wanted some opinions and advice on this. I work at a carmax and I could get a wholesale 2001 BMW 330i with about 111k miles for about $800, but based on the warning lights lit up it may need a new transmission and some work done to the break system. Seems to run fine other than being in limp mode due to the tranny. It's an automatic so ultimately I would want to swap it to a manual anyway. Would the money/work be worth it? (I have some mechanical knowledge and experience but nothing this serious). Thanks. Will include pictures if someone tells me how lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
There are plenty of threads here talking about manual swaps - if you manage to diy then cost could be reasonable. You can find used auto at junk yard for $200 - no warranty - specialist will charge you $1-$2k to install - so again maybe only worth it if you think you can do the job yourself - I think this is hard without access to a lift ...
 

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
Joined
·
5,311 Posts
It's already worth more that in parts. If you're willing to do the work then there's a guide to get you through it. You might even get lucky if the transmission and brake issues turned out to be simple fixes as they sometimes are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input so far

I think I'll have the safety inspection done and see what comes back. Seems like it could be a lot of different things that cause the transmission light and limp mode. I will update you with my results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was the vin search on RealOEM?
I'm not sure if it was realOEM or not.

I just got the results back from the safety inspection. Didn't do too bad. The issues found are as follows:

Leaking shock needs to be replaced,
A couple away bar end links need replacing,
Windshield washer motor inop,
Rack boots torn,
Diff bushings need replacing,
And of course it's in limp mode which I already knew about.

Didn't give me any of the codes so I guess I will have to read those myself.

I think I've decided to buy it and do further diag myself. Worst case I'll just part it out as mentioned. I want to swap the trans (which I believe to be the issue) anyway so I don't think I can come out losing at just under 1k out the door.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top