BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm more than likely moving to Florida before the end of they year, and would love to bring my UK E46 over.

I've heard that this can be a tricky business with the regulations required for vehicles in the US.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject, or better yet has done it themselves?

I doubt I could get the same type of car for the money I paid for it over there...

Cheers,

CB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a UK plate car, cheaper there than in Ireland by a country mile.

Driver sits on the right-hand side over here.

I know of an ex colleague who took his Jaguar to Texas when he moved. Think it was an old car thou, mid-80s, possibly 90's car.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
i should pass the snifer, and in FL they dont really do much emissions tesing. you should be ok. figure a couple gran to transport.

·
Registered
273 Posts
To be perfectly honest, you'd be better off selling it and buying a car in the states. BMW's are ALOT cheaper over the pond.

·
Registered
357 Posts
if the driver sits on the right side I doubt they will register it in US.
There are many imported right hand drive cars in the US. My freind drives a right hand drive skyline imported through California. Florida does no emission testing and I would think Florida would be the easiest place to register it.

Even so unless the car has sentimental value I would sell and repurchase over here just based on cost and the simplicity of registration.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the car must be at least 25 years old in order to be imported to the US. The California company that imports Skylines into the US has a special permit for them. I own a RHD 1973 Datsun FairladyZ that was imported into the US in 1986 by someone that was station in Japan thru the military. That was a different time and the laws have changed. My friend is trying to import a Lancia Integrale from Italy and was told that the newest he can bring over is a 1985 and has to be federilized before it can be registered. The process can be a real headache and very costly. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
^+1

You just dont realize how cheap E46s are in the states.

But you could definitely import a vehicle into the states, just check the requirements thats all, but its all useless unless you want to import a model which isnt available in the states from factory, Ex: E46 M3 CSL, any other car would be just a waste of money.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You're going to be hit with endless red tape and headaches trying to import your car into the states. By law, you can only import cars that are 25+ years old. Everything else is working around the system/having a fat wallet/having "connections" within the Department of Transportation. I'm sure if you sold it, you'd have enough USD to buy yourself a 325i or 330i here with the same money.

·
Registered
119 Posts
seriously unless if its something we don't get in the states i really don't see the point of it
your just gona have to dish out tons of money tring to get it here and what not.
if youre really wanting to do it then theres always ways but of course there gona need to be a lot of $$$

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
i should pass the snifer, and in FL they dont really do much emissions tesing. you should be ok. figure a couple gran to transport.
Are you sure? :loco: It's more then that then meets the eye...

-TrippinBimmer

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
A many said, it doesn't make sense at all to import your car to the states, even more so beacase it is a UK model.
I don't know anything about your financial situation, but assuming you are not sitting on a pile of gold, here's a few tips you may find useful:

If you are 100% sure you are moving here long term, then sell your car. However, if your perspectives are still uncertain and the car is paid off, it may be wiser to keep it back home for now.
If you never lived in the US before, meaing you never had a US driver license and have no credit history here, don't expect to get a low interest rate car loan and cheap auto insurance. In this case, it may be best to start in Florida with a $3K low maintenace car, which you can pay cash and drive on liability insurance only.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 2 things you will require on your vehicle are certification labels for EPA and DOT standards. The emissions (EPA) will be under the hood, the safety in the drivers door jam. Clearly it will not meet safety due to RHD, so you can pay a Registered Importer (RI) to modify your car to comply with US standards, or like everyone else said here leave it in Ireland or sell it and purchase one in the USA. You can possibly contact the EPA and US DOT and see if a 1 year waiver is available for temporary importation, but you would be required to remove the vehicle from the US at the end of that time if they grant it. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Zero resale after importation, so price in two way shipping into the value equation. I'd also charge you more if I was an insurer.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I imported a vehicle from the UK last fall.

It was a vehicle produced for the US market, so it was much easier.

PM me if you have any questions.

FYI- It's much easier to go from US to UK with a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts