1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Buy the scanner and a used laptop or desktop with windows xp off Craigslist.

Chrome book would be expensive than a used xp laptop and will need to be connected to Internet all the time. May be not the case(I don't know much about chrome book)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Drivers may be an issue and XP would is a known quantity with the software.

Let us know if you get it working.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I didn't think you could install programs, only Internet based apps? Isn't chrome a cloud-based operating system?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
To OP, don't buy the chromebook unless you plan on installing windows xp/ windows 7 on it. It will not run the software that you want it to. Chrome OS is a web browser based OS, meaning that you basically have an entire machine that can only web browse. Go to best buy and buy a 200$ gateway with an i3 and you will be way better off.

For the trolls: I do not hate Chrome or Google, but as someone who devotes their career to computers and cars I have learned shortfalls of useless laptops such as the Chromebook.

·
Banned
7,231 Posts
Pick up an 11 to 13 inch Netbook with Windows XP on craigslist.

If you're buying this computer for more than just BMW scanning, look into the Acer TimelineX series. These are ultrabooks.

My system is dual boot XP/Win7
Intel i5, Nvidia graphics, 8 hour battery.
Cost $340 used and still had warranty.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
does anyone know of a decently cheap scanner? maybe one that is compatible with MAC?
There's a code scanning app on the apple app store, you could google that and find out how to make it work. I think you need a cable still, but I bet that's cheap.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I didn't know that the reader is limited to XP OS. I guess I'll look into buying a cheap old laptop that is XP compatible. Thanks guys! I actually had a tablet that runs windows 7 but my brother sold it to buy a galaxy tab (let)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If you really want to save a lot of headaches find an old XP computer with a serial port. It'll make your life so much easier.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You don't have to spend any money to buy any used Windows XP computer, I guarantee you that this BMW 1.4 scanner will work on any version of Windows 7, you just have to know how to install the driver, besides, it comes with a small CD with PA soft program and you can upgrade to the newest version free online.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
You don't have to spend any money to buy any used Windows XP computer, I guarantee you that this BMW 1.4 scanner will work on any version of Windows 7, you just have to know how to install the driver, besides, it comes with a small CD with PA soft program and you can upgrade to the newest version free online.
I would go with an XP system if your main goal is PA Soft 1.4. I used to use an XP based PC and the battery/charging port jacked up. So I bought a used laptop and upgraded it a bit. Needless to say it is windows 7 based and PA Soft only works about 50% of the time..... Some times it sees the car, some times it doesn't.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would go with an XP system if your main goal is PA Soft 1.4. I used to use an XP based PC and the battery/charging port jacked up. So I bought a used laptop and upgraded it a bit. Needless to say it is windows 7 based and PA Soft only works about 50% of the time..... Some times it sees the car, some times it doesn't.

I don't know about that, mine sees the car all the times. Have you ever used it on Windows 7? if you did, may be you didn't install the driver correctly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts