E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at odds with my cars power. The damn shark injector is not out yet. I'm waiting to get a AEM intake to go with it. Also other mods are just to expensive. I'd rather add some furniture to my house or update my computer system.

I have a 2001 325ci step. Would you get a 2004 325ci SMG or just wait for the 2005 new 3 series E90 Sedan? or wait till 2006 and buy a new coupe?

Well one issue is that my kid is two years old. So since I bought my car and not leased, I was thinking to keep it until the end and just buy a new sedan then which will be 3/2006 when it's paid off. That way I have a second car. Since my salary hasn't really gone up, a 2004 330ci SMG is still out of the range I want to spend on a car. The one issue is that my wife is absolutely wants a automatic since she my drive the car from time to time.

So

1. Trade and get a 2004 325ci SMG at least speed will jump to 0-60 in 7.1 versus current step 8.1. Bumper to bumper warranty will run out next year. Instead of getting extended warranty for 2k, put that toward new car with longer 4 year warranty.

2. Keep 01 325ci step till 03/06 and buy a 06 sedan as a second car.

3. I complain about 325 power to much, just trade into a almost base 03 or 04 330ci SMG.

4. Forget about it and just wait till 2006 and buy a new coupe since it will have more power and updated styling, your kid doesn't need their own doors till 7 or 8 years old.

I guess the other thing is that the body style of the current e46 coupe is barely begining to look dated. By 2006 who knows what else will be out there and then e46 will be like the current e36.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Get a Base 330 over a 325ci. You'll save weight and you can brag about that. If you can also, get the performance package, and treat yourself. You don't need too many options, just get xenons for sure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
is the coupe coming out in 06?? i thought it would be out in 05

·
Banned
1,770 Posts
Re: Thinkin would you trade a 01 325ci Step for 04 325ci SMG or wait 06 coupe or 05 sedan

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
The one issue is that my wife is absolutely wants a automatic since she my drive the car from time to time.

:brent2:

·
is now a 2L! woot!
260 Posts
04 325i's will have SMG now?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'd wait to get a new body style coupe (granted if they aren't ugly)....like you said the current coupe barely looks dated..in fact, I don't think it looks dated at all (the sedan..perhaps..but not the coupe)...I think the E46 coupe will "age" better than the E36 did...and an E36 M3 still makes me turn my head. Plus you'll have a paid off car!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Thinkin would you trade a 01 325ci Step for 04 325ci SMG or wait 06 coupe or 05 sedan

LOL,

I guess you aren't married. Because if you were, you'd know it's more like this

:bow:

srcstc said:

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
1,973 Posts
I think you'd get better advice from the wife!

Do whatever fits your budget!

My single *ss sold my 325ci & got a 330i while I could :lmao: (getting married soon!)

·
Registered
345 Posts
so r '04's 3 series having SMG or not?:dunno:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The current 04 coupes don't have SSG you are correct but.

I heard by the end of the year there will be a e46 SSG option including the Z4.

I guess you missed the autoshow news, here's a repost related to the 2004 3 series:

"All models will have the option of either a five-speed automatic or BMW's new six-speed Sequential Manual gearbox (SMG). Other new options include a DVD-based navigation system, voice activated telephone and navigation controls and a wide range of 16-, 17-, and 18-inch wheel designs."

Full Time Hit Man said:
04 Coupe don't have SSG. Only have it on the Z4.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
0-60 1 second difference is significant to me

That's like saying you won't notice a difference going from a 325 stick to a 330 stick. About 1 second right?

simsima325 said:
330, u wont notice that big of a difference going from 325 step to 325 stick or SMG if they have it

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
Re: 0-60 1 second difference is significant to me

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
That's like saying you won't notice a difference going from a 325 stick to a 330 stick. About 1 second right?

i feel that the difference between the 325 and 330 is significant, and goes deeper than a simple 1 second difference between 0-60 times. over the whole rev range, the 330 produces more power, more quickly. this you will no doubt notice in varying driving scenario's, where the difference between 325 step and stick is going to be less noticable (although def. noticable, due to the power lost by the step tranny)

what it comes down to is what makes you smile when u mash the pedal, so if the 04 SSG 325 comes out and u are pleased, the by all means go for it, facelifted model looks :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to disagree about the difference between a 325 and 330 being that much. I own a 325i with a 5 speed and jsut got back from bmw's 2 day school where we mainly drove 330i's with the steptronic. Anyway, I would not trade my car for a 330 steptronic anyday. The 330 just felt slow and bogged down (even in semi-manual mode) compared to mine with a 5 speed... To see if this was the case all around I drove a friends 330ci with a 5 speed today and it felt much better than the steptronic and had nocicably ore power than my car so I may look into it with the new performance package, or wait a while till I can afford an M3.

Finally on the last day we were able to put almost every bmw made through one of the road courses they have, including M3's with 6-speeds, and the smg, and the concensous of almost everyone there was that the 6-speed was the better route. The smg is almost fool proof in that its computer will not let you downshift if the wheels are turned to a certain point, etc, but in doing so it is like driving an automatic, all you do is either push a lever or pull on the paddles, but never have full control since the downshifts are truly decided by the computer...(in fact there s an automatic mode on it, but it shifts really hard in that mode)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts