E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 00 323i new back in October of 1999.. I never buy extended warranties but I figured the repairs on this car were expensive, so what the hell, I bought it for $1700.. It was a 7 year/70000 mile bumper to bumper with a $50 deductable. Since I'm selling my car now I decided to give the company that held the policy a call to get a transfer form for the new owner. To my great surprise I find out that the Company which held the policy has been floundering (in rehab) for the past two years. And in so many words that meant that I didn't have an extended warranty.. I got humped.. Now the fumes are comming out of my lower orifice and so I call the dealer that I bought the car from.. Naturally there was the "we are so sorry speech".. I asked why I wasn't informed of the situation a few years ago and got some horse poop story... I was told not to worry because the dealer was covering the warranty service for the remainder of the 7/70.. But it was just for me and they would not uphold the warranty if I sold the car... Now I have to call this guy up who wants to buy my car and tell him there is no 7/70 warranty for him.. I read stories about this happening, but you never think it's going to happen to you..Well it CAN happen to you... So think twice before you pay $$$$ for that extended warranty that may or may not be there down the road when you need it.... Just some food for thought....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Threatening them with legal action usually works wonders ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AVRed1 said:
That sux. Why cant they make the warranty transferable.
BMW depends on a lot of return customers. I guess they don't want to make their customer base unhappy, so they decided to cover the car for the remainder of the 7/70 but just for their customers only....

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
That s*cks

I would think BMW has no legal obligation to step in on the warranty. :read: Good PR but no obligation. So suing them would net nothing.

Also, if what you say about the policy carrier is true - financial troubles - litigation will probably get you a judgement but no collection. :bawling:

So the moral of the story is - when buying a extended warranty, check out the carrier of the policy and be sure they are big, substantial history and have deep pockets. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Specifically...

coffee said:
hey man, sueing BMW got me $2,000............ :thumbup:
Did you get a judgement against (or settlement by) BMW specifically in a case where you purchased an extended warranty from a 3rd party supplier that did not live up to the terms of the agreement?

Or was your $2000 for some other contended damage?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had the same problem with my wife's grand cherokee. The company backing my warranty company when down and let a year worth of claims accumulate. When they did not pay, all the debtor went to my warranty company, the warranty company file for chapter 7 or 11. They said that all policies from this day on will be honor but those whom had theirs since back when are out of luck. i file as part of the chapter 7 and was told by the court that to be a part of the chapter I had to be present at court. this is b.s. since I am 200 miles away from the court plus they said that there was no garranty that I get anything. Also keep in mind that the court this company hire is on the same city in TEXAS and you know what they say about those good old boys in Texas.

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,284 Posts
rsjean said:
Did you get a judgement against (or settlement by) BMW specifically in a case where you purchased an extended warranty from a 3rd party supplier that did not live up to the terms of the agreement?

Or was your $2000 for some other contended damage?

Was not relavtive to an extended warranty but it was warranty related.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
What do you have in writing?

That's why we have a court of law.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rsjean said:
I would think BMW has no legal obligation to step in on the warranty. :read: Good PR but no obligation. So suing them would net nothing.

Also, if what you say about the policy carrier is true - financial troubles - litigation will probably get you a judgement but no collection. :bawling:

So the moral of the story is - when buying a extended warranty, check out the carrier of the policy and be sure they are big, substantial history and have deep pockets. :thumbup:
The Financial Officer who sold me the policy at the dealer also told me that if I did in fact sell the car she would pro-rate the policy as if I turned it in and I would wind up with about $600 to $800 refund from the dealership. I told her that was all well and good but I still lost a good selling point, in so far as that I could not offer a potential buyer the remainder of a 7/70 extended warranty. At least I know that if I don't sell the car, I still have an extended warranty to fall back on. And by the way... After having the car posted for sale on both the Roadfly, e46 Fanatics and local newspaper (Newsday) for 2 weeks, I only received 1 phone call on the car. This guy is going to look at the car in a few days from now.. I think it's a good deal....An 00 323i with 34000 miles, sp/prem. pkgs., leather, steptronic, 18" Breyton wheels with new RE750 tires, showroom condition, garage kept, never driven in snow or rain.. All that and I'm only asking $20 grand... Only in America.... I hate to tell you guys this but if I sell the car I'm going to get a new Mazda 3S with auto and a 160HP engine. I took one for a test drive and this baby flies.. It don't handle like a BMW, but what car does, except for some $100 grand exotic. I want a car that takes regular gas and gives me good mpg's, looks good, performs good, has front wheel drive for winter snow driving and most of all donesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain after it's out of warranty. And the new Mazda 3S fills that bill.... I getting ready to retire so I want a car that isn't going to eat up half my pension every month....

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Someday...

you'll be back... ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
The lawyer will ask for your doe and tell you that he will do what he can. Your rights on a bankruptcy court of getting your money are very small. First, employees need to get paid, then all grand father debts (bonds, preferred stocks, etc.), then you have the money tha company will need to stay in business and then after paying the lawyers and the court then you are the one. You had the warranty for 2-3 years, the prorated amount out of 2000.00 would be around 700.00 and the percentage you get from the bankruptcy settlement is 30 percent. You now have 210.00. You then subtract this from the time that it took you to fill out the form to become a party of the bankruptcy and the time you spent following the trial, give it 2 hours at 25.00/hr and now you have 160.00 left from your 2000.00. I'm not counting the drive to the court, lawyer, or anything else related to this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.