BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,303 Posts
Yeah, I read that a while back...be careful out there.

·
Registered
832 Posts
wow, that story is mind-boggling... really hit me, i will be a much safer driver i bet, more aware... thanks for the post

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
this is not the first time i've read something like this... I remember reading about how a highschool student in FL was racing after school, crashed into his own mother on the freeway and killed her...

·
'a certain moderator'
35,565 Posts
thanks for that link... i like to think i drive a little smarter than a stupid ricer racing in traffic, but it def. makes me think twice about ever gunning it off the line again...

thanks, everyone on the board should read this story and slow down in traffic

-brendan

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would have to say that everytime I hear a story like this, it makes me realize what an idiot I was when I was younger. Not only that, but how lucky I am to be alive after several similar stunts. I've seen first hand, the carnage caused by several accidents, and it simply amazes me how stupid people can get with a fast car, lack of maturity, and nothing else better to do.

My prayers go out to every familymember and friend who has been affected by this tragedy.

-Cyberhide

·
Registered
277 Posts
i've gotta say, that TAYLOR guy is an idiot!! here's a post regarding stupid driving that killed two people, one being a young child.

and this main concern is a "left lane hog" as he put it! the bottom line here is, if those idiots weren't racing and speeding......this would have NEVER happened!!! yes, i completely agree.....the lady should've had her kids belts on.

TAYLOR.....if you're reading this, think about that mother's loss....and you think we've got problems?!

that's my 2 cents!

john

·
Registered
405 Posts
that is a very sad story. i do not race, and am glad I don't b/c of consequences like these. my condolences go out to the families of the victims. i hope this sends out a strong message to those people who are not racing, but rather putting other lives in danger.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I just had my breakfast.. This is awfull.. Cars are potential murderweapons, sometimes I also tend to forget that.. It's always good that someone refreshes your mind..

Thanks for the post, I feel sorry for the innocent victims :tsk: :tsk:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Mac Fly said:
i've gotta say, that TAYLOR guy is an idiot!! here's a post regarding stupid driving that killed two people, one being a young child.

and this main concern is a "left lane hog" as he put it! the bottom line here is, if those idiots weren't racing and speeding......this would have NEVER happened!!! yes, i completely agree.....the lady should've had her kids belts on.

TAYLOR.....if you're reading this, think about that mother's loss....and you think we've got problems?!

that's my 2 cents!

john
While that story was very touching, I agree with Taylor.

He makes some valid points about people in the left lane who are a hazard because they do not pay attention to drivers behind them moving at a faster pace. If everyone ****ing got out of this 'i am king' mentality on the ****ing road, and simply adhered to ONE rule: slower traffic keep right, then you know HOW much safer roads would be??? Everywhere in europe they do this and it's absolutely amazing. You don't even HAVE to high-beam people, and they don't get all ****ing crazy, giving yo the finger and **** when you do. Pepole here are just ****ing retarded

I always make it a habit to wave back at people who move over for me - because a) they feel that they did the right thing, and b) other people see it, and think woah, maybe i should try that. And you know what, it's a ****ing chain reaction. maybe it's slow, maybe it won't work completely, but if enough people do it, it might make some difference.

I have my mirrors set "racing style". No blindspots. I am CONSTANTLY checking, i can tell you, while lookign forward, the colors and make of the car behind me, and on each side.
it's all about awareness. situational awareness. in fact, it shouldn't even be conscious. you should automatically register and be aware of all events occurring around you - driving safely is as much making sure osmeone else doesn't **** you up as much as making sure you don't **** somoene else up.

All of these distractions - they should have levels of license. People shouldn't be allowed to ****ing listen to the goddamn RADIO if they don't have enough mental bandwidth to be able to concentrate on the road and radio

·
2,263 Posts
What people don't often realize is that we're driving a fast moving 3500lb lethal weapon, and it is very dangerous and very easy to screw something up. I don't know how comfortable I'll be driving even near the limits of my car once I get it back, having been in my accident... it'll be a while before I start driving it hard, that's for sure.

That guy Taylor was a real jackass. He did have some points but he definitely lacked tact, and he was making some really bad assumptions.

First of all, she was in the right lane, second of all for all we know the kids unbuckled themselves. I used to silently unbuckle myself all the time as a kid to fool my parents, and they never knew. Let's not blame the mom without all the facts.

And further, let's not blame the mom for not being the 100% perfect defensive driver. Yes, it is possible that she should have been more aware, especially after having just made a turn - she'd have seen the headlights while looking before the turn, though if they were still at the light then she would have had no idea - but those cars were approaching so quickly that the time needed to see, compute, and react likely wasn't enough anyway. And that garbage about her being expected to pull into the shoulder and that she's an idiot if she can't do an emergency stop is ridiculous. A car going 80mph in an area with stoplights catches and overtakes a 40mph or less car in the blink of an eye. And as stated, the stop on the rumble strip was unpredictable and messed up the accord's trajectory, how would the same be avoided in a VAN, a larger and less controllable vehicle? And to think he even suggested that her signal and brake lights should allow even the dumbest of drivers to react was laughable, again because of the speed of this whole thing, and the fact that the accord was dumb enough to pass on the right in the shoulder. OK, yeah, sure it would have reacted to her signalling :rolleyes: And if she had so much as tapped her brakes while still in the lane that Accord would have driven right up her ass.

Yes, in theory Taylor is right - better safe than sorry, and defensive driving - accounting for the stupidity of others in addition to safe tactics yourself - is extremely important. But 1 driver in 100 would have avoided that situation, I bet, and not even the most educated defensive driver in the world could be absolutely expected to react quickly in that situation and do something that saved all those lives.

And to suggest that she could have been ticketed is ludicrous. Not even the grouchiest motorcycle cop would write her a ticket in that instance. I don't care what the law is.

The phrasing, using "reasonable" and "normal" pretty much leaves that law to the cop's interpretation anyway.

Anyway, Taylor (and Amir) are right about left hand slowpokes and speeding etiquette... no question. And Taylor's adamance (is that a word?) about defensive driving is admirable, I suppose. But there's no good way to apply that to this situation to make that woman anything other than a victim. I feel horrible for her and her armless son, and may her daughter rest in peace. As for the racers, well, no comment.

I have never been much of a racing risk taker but one night I did fire it up on the Junipero Serra in SF at 2 am. 2 cars in front of me, an old 5.0 stang and a riced out CRX were revving, and from behind them I jokingly revved too. The civic moved over and let me in (wide, 6 lane road). Noone else around, but still. A couple lights later I realized that I had topped out at 120 (I won, btw, and the stang asked me if I was an M5, lol), and ended up pulling over shaking my head at how stupid I was. One of my 1-2 shifts was so hard that I pulled the shift knob off, and I remember taking my eyes off the road to look to see what happened. I had of course slowed to 30, but still. Taking my eyes off the road = dumb move. Racing = dumb move. Speeding so ridiculously? dumb move. Suppose one of my tires blew out, or one of theirs, or someone turned in. Bang. Dead.

Lucky for me, in my accident, the only thing I hurt was my car. And again, a dumb move. Wasn't used to the coils yet, carried too much speed into a corner that was tighter than I expected, smacked the curb, shoved into a wall. And I got LUCKY.

That was a tangent. Sorry, I do that when it's 5am. Moral of the story: please just drive responsibly. You can have fun, even on city streets, without being an idiot.

·
2,263 Posts
I should back amir's post up a bit more, he's right on with the situational awareness. I think that my best asset as a driver is my awareness of all else going on around me. I've avoided so many near accidents due to idiot bay area drivers... the one I didn't avoid was my own damn fault. I used to say that "if everyone drove like me there'd be no traffic jams and no accidents, and everyone would get places faster" Not true, since I drove into a wall, but still, suppose I'm the best situationally aware driver on earth...I still can't say that I'd have been able to safely move a minivan out of trouble. Those things are tough to maneuver... not the same as a lane change and brake with a Bimmer...

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Theoretically, on some level taylor is right. And the woman in the minivan should be shot for not buckling her kids in.

HOWEVER, when you're in the FAR RIGHT lane of a MULTI-lane road, you have NO REASONABLE expectation that some asshole is going to try to pass you on the shoulder. ESPECIALLY when there isn't much traffic. I can tell you for a fact that I would NOT have moved over. I'd have assumed that the asshole in the Accord would move left. Of course, everyone in my car would also be buckled in.

Perhaps the most important lesson (aside from "don't ****ing race on public roads!!!") to be learned from this is that the ONLY INTACT SURVIVOR was BUCKLED in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts