E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i had what seems to be the classic expansion tank crack and trans thermostat. problem.. Only owning the car 3 weeks kinda pisses me off but oh well, previous owner is a lair. So I've now got those 2 parts replaced ran the car not knowing how 2 properly bleed the system 15min running an overheated shut it down. Looked on here found out that i was probably needing 2 bleed the system, well did that 2 day all seemed good. Had it idle for close 2 40 min with no overheating. drove it to pick up my son,"about 2 miles" as I pulled in the drive way the heat gauge was rising quick, so I'm thinking thermostat right off, the upper house is hot and the lower is cold. Just wanting 2 confirm my hunch is right. 100 dollars for thermostat or 60 for water pump...thinking about replacing both but just the one causing my overheat tell next pay day

33,347 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat issue. Is it throwing any codes? Are you sure you bled it correctly and fully? Oh and please stop using the number 2 in place of the word :ben:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bleed the system right. not my first go round with a car that had to bleed, just read to make sure BMW didn't have a special way of doing things. Throwing codes...yeah but nothing concerning this. secondary air blaa blaa. been a week scenes i looked at it so i don't remember the other to "2" lol right off hand. and ok didn't know it was having a English test today sorry j/k

33,347 Posts
Omg the grammar is so bad :rofl: it really makes it hard to follow your post. :eek:

Okay so if the lower radiator hose is cold and the upper is hot it sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck closed. Did you just replace it though?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Did you bleed it with the front of the car slightly elevated? I've had issues where if I bled it on level ground it would seem to be ok until the engine was revved above idle like when driving. Bleeding it on the slight incline of my driveway made enough of a difference that I got the last air bubbles out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i replaced the a/t thermostat that was broke/clogged. the previous owner had put stop leak into the system. although he swears he didn't, i know better. I need to flush the whole thing after i replace this T stat

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you bleed it with the front of the car slightly elevated? I've had issues where if I bled it on level ground it would seem to be ok until the engine was revved above idle like when driving. Bleeding it on the slight incline of my driveway made enough of a difference that I got the last air bubbles out.
did exactly that, my drive has about a 30 degree or so slant down, so i backed the car in to raise the front.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahah so I didn't bleed it fully today after the thermostat change. I drove it around for about 20 min, all was good tell I got on it. Ended up blowing the upper radiator hose completely off both sides at the clamps:banghead: ALWAYS TAKE YOUR TIME AN MAKE SURE YOUR ALL GOOD PEOPLE. Or look like a dumb ass on the side of the road having to ordering a part. Because neither auto zone or oreilly's cares BMW parts:facepalm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts