E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mahle thermostats are junk. Mine was opening too fast from new aswell. Got a second new Mahle installed, works fine, but when I floor the car, the temps drop too low to ~70C. A friend had the same issue. Borg warner thermostats work fine...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just boiled the old thermostat, it worked just like it's supposed to :confused: Opened just before boiling
I would first get a genuine, or borgwarner thermostat. Another friend of mine bought 3 new mahle units, all of them were faulty. Swapped it out with a borgwarner unit, all works as expected. I suspect the electrical heater in the mahle thermostats does not work as intended

·
Registered
101 Posts
This made me wonder. Have you ruled out the fan being on (or on full speed) all the time? On the manual cars it should only come on when needed, commanded by the DME. If you have INPA there's a test you can do where you tell it to spin at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100%. If you step through those with the engine off you'll be able to hear when it's on (or you can get out and check) and the pitch will increase with speed. Or you could just start the car with the engine cold* and make sure it isn't spinning.

*question to fellow fanatics: would the AC need to be off too?
Ac would have to be off, with the AC on, the fan should spin almost all the time(but not at 100%), especially if you drive slow or are standing still.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts