BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found some great DIY's on replacing the thermostat (Thank you everyone for the great DIY's in this forum), but I cannot find the torquesettings for the four bolts that connect the thermostat to the engine. I do not want to overtighten and potentially snap a bolt, but I also do not want to under tighten and have a leak.

I would really appreciate the torque specs for these bolts. thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yes, 10 Nm or 7 Ft/lbs. they're very low torque. Barely more than hand tight plus a 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. After I have the thermostat back on, would it hurt anything to fire up the car without the fan reconnected (just to verify the seal before reconnecting everything?

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Thank you guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. After I have the thermostat back on, would it hurt anything to fire up the car without the fan reconnected (just to verify the seal before reconnecting everything?
I wouldn't but again im no expert. The only reason i woulnd't do it is b/c i'd get paranoid something would break w/o the fan. Just slip it back on, takes like 5 mins at max.....unless you have an auto; in which case you need to talk to a non-noob lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an auto..IT sucks to put it on and takeit off again...But I am with you..better safe than sorry (also a noob)

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
No problem to start the engine without the mechanical fan. Some even remove it permanently and rely only on the electric fan in front.
I like the idea to inspect the thermostat and the connecting hoses withile engine is running, before bolting the fan on.
Just don't let the engine overheat, which will happen if you let it idle long enough and your electric fan wouldn't turn on for some reason.
Before mounting the fan, make sure the viscous clutch isn't stuck- it should rotate- not freely, but without great resistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts