BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with that? It was 37 degrees the other day and the car chimed at me and I look down and 37 degrees was blinking on my dash. Eventually it stopped blinking. Then like 5 minutes later it did it again. Very odd. Hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
BMW thermometer thingy tells you when its 37 degrees out b/c that when water freezes. Pretty much telling you to drive with caution.

·
Registered
370 Posts
things like that makes me love my BMW even more :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Normal. It is a freeze warning. Its basically there to remind you to keep your RPM's low until the engine reaches normal operating temps. It's still buzzes me when it goes off.

Videoholic said:
What's up with that? It was 37 degrees the other day and the car chimed at me and I look down and 37 degrees was blinking on my dash. Eventually it stopped blinking. Then like 5 minutes later it did it again. Very odd. Hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It beeps becuase its warning you of the low temp and be careful of ice on the road. Also it automatically defrost your rear window so you can see

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
Doesn't anyone read their owners manual these days :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
BMW thermometer thingy tells you when its 37 degrees out b/c that when water freezes.
Crap, how'd I ever pass chemistry class thinking water froze at 32 degress :D

Chip-

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
carguy84 said:
Crap, how'd I ever pass chemistry class thinking water froze at 32 degress :DChip-
Pure water aka H2O freezes at 32 degrees F. The water in our car is not pure so it freezes at a little bit higher than 32 degrees.

·
Registered
270 Posts
als said:

Pure water aka H2O freezes at 32 degrees F. The water in our car is not pure so it freezes at a little bit higher than 32 degrees.
So this is to let us know when the water in our cars is going to freeze. How odd.

·
Registered
504 Posts
BAVARIAN323i said:
It beeps there because black ice forms higher than 32 F
Thank you, I was hoping someone would give the correct answer!! Water on the ground (becasue of wind chill) can freeze at around 37 degrees. Especially on bridges and overpasses as they aren't warmed by the earth's surface. This ice (black ice) is more dangerous because it forms once already on the ground and freezes clear...it can't be seen or distinguished from standing water. Hence, the warning in our cars.

·
T!TSLVR
1,258 Posts
Read the manual.. it's an ICE WARNING.....

it's set to warn you of possible freezing conditions.... the cool thing is... it doesn't keep doing it if you go to 38, then back to 37... it only does it once.. and does not reset until the temp goes back up to 45 (or something like that). :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
:rolleyes: :tsk:

I don't think BMW is worried about the water "in our car" since there is little one can do about it. They're more concerned with ice forming on the streets that your car will likely encounter in <37 degree weather in the winter.

Chip-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts