BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, long time lurker but haven't posted much. Figured it might be time to make my own build thread on here even though I already have one going on in one of my local, Vancouver forums (so first bulk of posts will be copy/pastes) but I'll be updating here too going forward. Enjoy.

How many of you recall your first car and thinking you were hot ****? I definitely remember this with my Integra from back in the day. So heres a brief timeline that brings us to today.

1995 Acura Integra (db7) - purple piece

First thing ever. Thought it was the hottest **** on the block. Swapped out the poverty deck in this thing for a pioneer stereo only to rip the original cone speakers in this thing. Oh man did I think I was cool. :heckno: This thing got written off after this incident.

04 Honda Civic (em2) - broke student/Honda kid

Was great on gas, incredibly reliable, needed very little maintenance but lacked in the luxury, refinement, and excitement area. I liked it, very simple, and after a few mods here and there I'd say it was fun. That being said I vowed to never own a Civic again. (no offence to the Honda guys, i know that there are some dope builds out there)

03 Accord (uc1) - graduated and working
Simply put, it was stock honda accord. 4 cylinder coupe and fully loaded. Great car for the average person that needs something to get them from point A to point B. Very comfortable. Super easy to work on. The oil changes on the k20 were probably my favourite thing to do on this car but even after doing enough of those I needed something more that was a) fun and exciting and b) a bit of a challenge (be careful what you wish for)...

2002 330ci - :woot2:
Few years back after driving my ex's M3 I knew at one point I needed a BMW in my life (she said everyone who got behind the wheel of it got cursed/blessed with this desire). So here we are today. I knew I wanted something that would be fun but hopefully not too expensive on a daily basis and was on the lookout for either a 325 or a 330 either coupe or sedan but most importantly HAD TO BE IN MANUAL.

I will do another post of work completed and upcoming jobs but in the meantime heres a pic from 2014 after cleaning the brake dust off my wheels back when photography was still a thing for me:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Swapped out the old angel eyes with some CCFLs. The old ones were cracked and falling apart within the headlight - they had to go.

Aftermath:

After this I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Both jobs very easy to do at home but can be a bit intimidating for some since with the fuel filter you're literally sitting over a tank of open gas.

Once those were replaced decided to swap out interior lights for LEDs (pics incoming shortly).

Next things I'm considering on my to-do list as preventative measures:
Diff + Tranny fluid replacement
Subframe reinforcement kit
DISA
Expansion tank (water pump replaced not too long ago by previous owner)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
October 2014:
DISA rebuild kit also came in and was anxious to work on this. Given what we all know about the DISA it had to be dealt with. Heres a photo of the new parts.

This rebuild kit is awesome. Great quality and CNC machined in the USA. Really high quality replacement compared to the oem flapper. I'm pretty happy with this purchase.

Front brakes were squealing a bit and finally the light for maintenance came on. Akebono brake pads and sensor ordered and replaced. New pads came in Halloween morning so I decided to swap those out just before heading to the party. Quick and easy job thanks to all the support on these forums.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New angel eye harness came in the mail today that has two triggers in the relay unlike the original kit that would only activate when the car turned on. This harness was ordered from Umnitza.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
November 2014:
So as many of you had heard e46s are being called in for a recall on their airbags from Takata. This spans out to other manufacturers other than BMW who have been using these. First thing first - took my car in to Auto West (local dealer) for air bag change their. Afterwards it was maintenance time.

A few weeks back as I was driving behind someone this car started to slow down immediately in front of me, like really hard on the brakes in traffic - obviously a big wtf came out from me. Car turns off in the corner and before I know it a huge rock pops up from underneath the guys car and I go right over it! I was pretty pissed. Pulled over and started to check for any leaks - nothing leaking. But I DID notice that my oil level light was goofing off (essentially it would light up when I turned on the car and dim 5 seconds afterwards which is an indicator of a crapped out oil level sensor). Over the course of several hours before and after driving I would check my levels to make sure nothing was leaking - we good on that end.

Get home, get the car up and find this.

Well ****. This god damn rock pierced the front subframe brace! But as luck would have it this rock didn't hit anything else under the car. Even had her inspected at Auto West after my recall and they didn't anything. Instead, this stupid ass rock went directly into my oil level sensor while completely avoiding the oil pan!

Comparison of the old subframe brace and the fresh one I picked up from scrapyard. Apparently this is a vital component which effects your suspension - any damage to it can be detrimental so I didn't want to hammer the hole back into smoothness.

Ordered a bunch of goodies again from my favourite online parts site.

Car is back to normal.

Next thing I'm considering: possibly Clutch Delay Valve delete but would like to read a little bit more on this

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
January 2015:
Have more parts on the way but one of the few that came in today were my sweet ***** lights

Decided to get rid of the clear corners and go for smoked instead. These were purchased from Khoalty. Looking at the lenses closely I noticed these too were stamped with DEPO, however, I found the fit to be really good and smooth.

Clear corners are sold btw

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
February 2015:
My roof rack came into Point Roberts (just across the border into Washington, I leave in Canada and some parts shipping to a US address is cheaper/free/exclusive) today. The border guard had trouble believing this thing would take a roof rack. Lo and behold!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Late February 2015:
Not a WHOLE lot new, spent my Friday evening changing out the valve cover gasket. Excuse the horrid picture as my hands were covered in oil.

This was an interesting sight. Going to be doing spark plugs and chain tensioner spring during my next oil change. But then I had another ***** goodie come in.

HIDs in fogs happened.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
March 2015:
Not a whole lot of stuff new, ended up swapping out the serpentine belt since its been starting to get ridiculous and loud. Upon inspection turns out 2 pulleys will need to be ordered as well as new expansion tank + expansion tank cap + hoses + oil + filter.

Picture included for our visual people here

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
April 2015:
GF ended up getting me an M Performance shift knob just as a token of appreciation (know what I'm sayin? ;) ) so I ended up changing that out. Seeing as the shift know was almost fused to the shifter I started to imagine creative ways of trying to remove it. I came across this picture which seemed promising.

But instead after enough pulling on my knob i finally got that stupid thing off. Only little nudge with the shifter in 2nd and off it came! Update with the M performance knob and alcantara boot.

I'm really loving the feel of this. It sits significantly lower than the stock knob and feels heavy. My only gripe is now I want to get rid of my armrest since with it my hand slouches down over the knob. Will be looking into buying those parts soon. Or I might just pick up this kit of ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51168235570/ES2526395/

In mechanical news, more oil and my pulleys came in the mail. Will be handling that just before I head down to Nissanfest at Evergreen Speedway on Sunday (yea, I know, shhhhh).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Late April 2015:
So I got pretty lucky. Just before Nissanfest I ended up finding someone on craigslist who was selling his black "armrest-less" centre console since he did the opposite swap in his e46.

VERY happy with this now that my elbow doesn't bump into anything.

Also my Yakima High Roller bike rack came in for when I go up to Whistler.

Using Yakima's Mighy Mounts this bike rack can be attached to any manufacturer cross bars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
April 2015:

More maintenance stuff w00t. Actually just preventative stuff since I'm meticulous with these types of things. Next up - CCV.

There are two ways to approach this: a) joining the big brother club to make friends with young child who has hands small enough to fish their way in and under the intake manifold to pull this hideous freaking thing out or b) removing the intake manifold completely which will allow significantly easier access. With this I'm planning on cleaning the throttle body while this thing is apart. Looks like I will be swapping out the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) as well since it seems theres some oil leaking from that area. Apologies for the stupid square photos, I mainly post this stuff to instagram too and I don't feel like re-uploading these photos elsewhere.

On a side note, my dad found my old shift knob lying around the house and wanted to bring it to my attention.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Few days later April 2015:

So I tackled the CCV this weekend - this was a legit pain in the ass.

Super simply in theory but god damn all the little things along the way make it a pain from the orientation of the clamps on the intake boots to simply pulling off hoses to sticking my big gorilla hands in small tight spaces. That being said I'm happy its done and pretty happy to do it myself instead of sending it to a mechanic. A huge thanks to the BMW community for providing lots of DIYs and giving me the confidence to just do it.

So heres a proper example of a little thing that will slow you down. Something as simple as clamps on the rubber intake boots were for whatever reason positioned to face down as if whoever will be removing these will be working on the engine from underneath. Maybe that was standard during assembly, maybe someone from the factory is just ****ing with me, ended up getting these out with a 6mm socket and my gorilla fingers twisting from underneath.

Cleaning the Throttle body and idle control valve FEELS like it made a bit of a difference. To me it seems like there might be the ever so slight better response after cleaning.

This hideous thing (CCV + Hoses) was soaked in oil. Hoses going into it were starting crack.

And just a view of the intake manifold with all the components off. I started to look further at the intake manifold pull and realized its too much of a hassle doing all the additional items (which may break due to age) to make inserting the CCV easy. At the end of the day It wasn't too difficult to navigate underneath. From what I take it seems that a lot of people attempt to mount the CCV first, screw it into place, and THEN attach all the hoses, however, actually having it float around guiding your hoses in makes the job significantly easier. The top hose going back into the manifold had to be rotated to lock onto the CCV - only advice here is to remove any brackets or wires blocking it from fully rotating.

All things aside, refer to BavarianAuto's youtube channel for guidance and wisdom as they provide an awesome tutorial on how to accomplish this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
June 2015:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
September 2015:
Nothing too crazy done recently other than switching out the water pump. The water pump on this car was once replaced at about 120,000 kms and it wasn't leaking (at least not that I could see anywhere), however, I started to hear a bit of a slight vibration/rattle during lower rpms that got me spooked since previous owner never specified which aftermarket pump they bought. As seen in a previous post I had already replaced most of the pulleys with the exception of the waterpump since it would need to come out as a whole.

Changing out your pulleys and water pump is VERY easy. With the serpentine belt off you can give all your pulleys a wiggle to see what needs to be replaced. In the video above I'm wiggling the waterpump (disregard the gloves, it was hot). For anyone interested the replacement impeller the previous owner used was a GEBA (made in Germany).

So new BMW water pump was installed instead (currently at 161,000kms).

BMW pumps were strongly frowned upon in the past since the impeller had a tendency to fail given its plastic design. With these new "remanufactured water pumps" better quality bearings were used and the impeller itself is now composite which is stronger than plastic but lighter than aftermarket pumps with metal impellers. This switch to a lighter impeller should increase the life of the bearings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
November 2015:

Meyle HD Front Control Arm Bushings and Behr Final Stage Resistor. My HVAC has been acting funny where it would work intermittently only to die on me on Monday. Good thing I ordered these in early.

I remember back in summer I was suggesting to my dad to pick up a bmw 2002 that was up for sale to work on as a project car. He said to me "Do I look like a masochist?". Trying to replace my god damn Final Stage Resistor with my big gorilla hands reminded me of that today.

Old on the left, new one on the right

Front Control Arm Bushings will probably get dealt with the following weekend. What a pain in the @$$ getting to them it was when you're confined with space.

Several tugs on the LCAs and you can see it moving around in the old bushing and making noise. With lots of twisting and pulling i managed to rip the metal carrier off the boot itself leaving the rubber/metal bushing remnants still attached to the arm. With this I quickly went over to Lordco for a 3 jaw puller which made my day significantly easier.

Once that was cleaned up I got the new Meyle HD bushings on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
February 2016:

So after enough pondering and debating I finally pulled the trigger on some M Performance splitters.

A little ricey, yes. That being said after installing these I noticed quite quickly the fitment on these isn't the best :/ really expected better from this particular website. So now I'm debating what to do with these next as they protrude out the sides and I know now amount of glue or double sided tape will keep it tucked in. Any ideas?

Obligatory car shot

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
April 2016:
Not a whole lot new except I finally got around to changing out the timing chain tensioner spring @ 175,000 kms

As you can see, the old one on the left is a bit shorter than the new one

One of the annoying things rattling in the car :| finally pulled this **** off. Apparently these heat shields were tack welded on to another piece of metal thats still lodged between the exhaust manifold and engine block.

One of the basic things one should change

Coming up next:
VANOS seals has come in the mail, VANOS anti-rattle kit and associated hardware (gaskets) are on the way

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
May 2016:
Finally received all the necessary components to do the VANOS job including a fresh oil line since mine is leaking too. VANOS seals and anti-rattle kit were ordered directly from Beisan Systems. There appear to be other kits out there as well but all research always points to go with the Beisan solution.

Now all thats left for me is to source a vice, some rubber vice jaws and find a weekend where I'm free to do this (most likely long weekend).

Outside of that I decided to repaint my custom (made by Josh Avery) diffuser. My gf got this for me last year but I havent posted a picture with it installed yet and during winter it got a little whether down. Any of you guys following Josh on instagram may have seen that surprise post lol.

Not a WHOLE lot new, decided that I'm going to tackle the Vanos when I come back from my trip to Ukraine. In the meantime I've extended the mounting holes and repainted my diffuser.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
June 2016:
Spent a week in Ukraine and ended up picking up a euro center console tray.

A little battered but I got a VERY good price on this, lol. The best part is that it looks significantly cleaner than the cup holders and can STILL hold a drink for my while sitting lower without getting in the way of my shifting (testing on Sea2Sky up to Whistler yesterday since I had one extra day before I had to return to work).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts