BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As my summer daily driver sat in the garage, I decided that it was time for a CCV replacement. Inspired by my other E46 (an M56 SULEV model), I decided to do this in an unconventional way; by replacing the plastic valve cover on the M54 with an aluminum one from an M56 engine, and retrofitting the dipstick tube from the M56 engine.

-The M56 valve cover has the CCV built in, as a serpentine chamber that can be opened and cleaned every time the valve cover gasket is changed.

-The M56 dipstick tube doesn't have a second channel to drain oil from the CCV back into the oil pan. It is otherwise the same.

-The valve cover gasket for the M56 is flat, metal-reinforced, and lays right onto the head, rather than being put onto the valve cover first.

Went on eBay and found these.

Bought an M56 valve cover gasket set as well. Then I got to work. Perfect fit.

A comparison of the M54 dipstick tube (left) and the M56 dipstick tube (right):

The M56 dipstick tube uses two O-rings. The bottom O-ring is the same as the M54 dipstick tube O-ring. The part # for the top O-ring is 11437519850.

Capped-off the smaller port on the intake vacuum distributor.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OE M56 valve cover breather hose on (Part # 11157513756)

To top it all off, here is everything with the pretty engine cover. All done with OE parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
What? M56 valve cover fits onto M54? This is the first time I am reading this :wow:
In for final result :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated the post. Waiting on one more part until it's complete.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Good thing you got the black plastic cover with the valve cover, as it doesn't show up in the BMW parts catalogue anymore, must be NLA.

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,942 Posts
Interesting. I still prefer my catch can. Adds extra vacuum to the crankcase.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thing you got the black plastic cover with the valve cover, as it doesn't show up in the BMW parts catalogue anymore, must be NLA.
It seems to readily available brand-new. Part # 13537515326.

ECS Tuning sells it:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325i-M54_2.5l/Engine/ES33656/

There's also a used one on eBay right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-03-05-325i-2-5L-M56-SULEV-OEM-Engine-Plastic-Vanity-Cover-13537515326-/181614008806?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4909d9e6&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
102 Posts
oh man I just did my gasket 2 weeks ago, If I saw this mod before it would defenitly go to my engine! Btw , does it fit M52TU?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's seriously fvcking brilliant. I wish this worked on the M52.
oh man I just did my gasket 2 weeks ago, If I saw this mod before it would defenitly go to my engine! Btw , does it fit M52TU?
It would work on the M52TU, since the M52TU is essentially an M54. However, I don't think the M52TU coils would fit, so it would probably require you to upgrade the harness for the coils. The M52 is a completely different animal.

Also, I updated the original post.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Nicely done .... when the weather warms up a bit, let us know if there are any driveability issues that surface. Wouldn't expect any, but let us know.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm curious how this has never come up before... Seems like an oddly good idea.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You must be one lucky sumbit¢h cause there's nothing for M56 valve covers on ebay.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You must be one lucky sumbit¢h cause there's nothing for M56 valve covers on ebay.
The valve covers themselves run just under $300 new, which I believe also includes the VCG and spark plug seals. Yesterday, there was one used black plastic cover for around $75 on ebay (search on the part number 13537515326).

1 - 20 of 221 Posts