BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have facelift coupe 330Ci 2005 with xenons.

It seems like the headlight bulbs that are closest to the grille never turn on.

The headlight assembly has 2 circles with bulbs in the middle and the turn signal.

The turn signal turns on as parking lights and the one next to it turns on as the main driving light and for the high beams.

But the other one closest to the grille never turns on.

Could it be my lamps are out on both sides or what? When do those bulbs come on?

thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is not my car, but the lights in the red circles are the ones I'm asking about, when do those turn on?
thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The circled lights in question function in the following ways depending on your car's configuration.

They are used as Daytime Running Lights.
They are used as Highbeams (regular HL assy or modded Bi-Xenon HL assy)
They are used as Flash to Pass lights.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Also known as highbeams? Push forward to keep on
Not on models equipped with Bi xenon headlights which is what the OP has.

For your car they only function as day time running lights which have been turned off on your car (the dealer does this) so now they are just flash to pass, which is when you pull the turn stalk towards you.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
Not on models equipped with Bi xenon headlights which is what the OP has.

For your car they only function as day time running lights which have been turned off on your car (the dealer does this) so now they are just flash to pass, which is when you pull the turn stalk towards you.
DingDingDing! Correct answer.

Also, fun fact, on the newer models (E92 and later) they help with "cornering" - in addition to the headlights swiveling, the inner lights illuminate when you turn the steering wheel. Weird feature.

Just thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it seems pretty strange that these lights are only there as flash-to-pass lights on my car. That's why I was wondering, I figured they must have a more important function than that and maybe something was wrong with my car.

I already knew that they are not used as high beams for my car, which made me wonder even more what exactly they are there for.

But thanks for your responses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts