BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid thread to some but an important one to me.

I've seen too many people die due to not wearing a seat belt. Friends, family, fellow E46fanatic members and so on.

I am now fully committing to the following and hope that you all will join me.

1. I vow to wear my seat belt every time I get into a vehicle
2. I vow to ask passengers to use their seat belt as well

Two simple commitments that will save lives when necessary.

Let’s make this the biggest awareness drive on our site by replying with or without comment.

Coffee - Jay

:thumbup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm in..... Great thread, I hope everyone joins in.

Click!

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
I consider seat belt use a great Darwin factor in the survival of the human species.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As an EMT, I've seen some of the results of no-seatbelt. I'm really anal about seatbelts. Everyone should be...

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
My car does not roll until everyone is belted up. It's such a habit I have a hard time just backing the car out of the garage without a seat belt on.

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
COOL!!!!

Great to see you guys on this thread.

I myself always hated wearing my seat belt but when I had my daughter 4 years ago, I began to think about the "what if's". I also hated how it wrinkled my shirt!!! But now, I have a system to avoid the wrinkles... hahaha
Honestly, I feel sooooooooo unsafe without my seatbelt on. I never leave home without it................... on that is. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They should put a device that stops engine from starting w/o the seat belt

·
Registered
404 Posts
seatbelts feel 10x more comfortable with shoulder pads

·
Registered
313 Posts
One more fact I learned that should be an even greater incentive!

At least on the 5 series, i do believe this applies to 3 series as well, if you're not wearing your seatbelt as a passenger, the car's safety management system considers the passenger seat to be empty. Thus when you have a side impact or front impact crash, the airbag on the passenger side will not deploy...

i asked about this at a body shop the other, the 5-series only had the driver side airbag deployed. He said the passenger was not wearing a seatbelt so the airbag did not deploy...

maybe that one more incentive to have your passengers wear seatbelts.

Now that i think about it, the airbag ir probably lethal if it deploys without you wearing your seatbelt, read that somewhere.

·
Banned
2,232 Posts
I don't even notice I'm wearing them... it's second nature to me. I think the reason that some think they are uncomfortable is because they just dont wear them much. Gotta get used to them...although I don't think its that uncomfortable.

My dad got in an accident as a teenager in a VW Bettle (it didn't have seatbelts so I guess it was unavoidable..) but anyways he went face first through the windshield after hitting and Olds Delta 88 head on.

Wear your seatbelts guys...it's the law, and it'll save your life. I'm even thinking about getting those clip in 4 point harnesses for autocrossing! But I'd probably wear it all the time thinking I'm Michael Schumacher.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
330Pilot said:
One more fact I learned that should be an even greater incentive!

At least on the 5 series, i do believe this applies to 3 series as well, if you're not wearing your seatbelt as a passenger, the car's safety management system considers the passenger seat to be empty. Thus when you have a side impact or front impact crash, the airbag on the passenger side will not deploy...

i asked about this at a body shop the other, the 5-series only had the driver side airbag deployed. He said the passenger was not wearing a seatbelt so the airbag did not deploy...

maybe that one more incentive to have your passengers wear seatbelts.

Now that i think about it, the airbag ir probably lethal if it deploys without you wearing your seatbelt, read that somewhere.
I'm quite sure the car uses a weight sensor to tell whether there is a front passenger. The airbag was also designed to help unbelted occupants.

Here's a link I found from Edmunds...

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/45863/article.html

·
On the Lamb
170 Posts
Its funny cus when I goto the mid-east where the seat belt law is not enforced I feel naked without it on and everyone is like WTF??? Force of habit a good habit none-the-less :D now how bout everyone switching to a harness :D that's a lil more secure :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts