BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

301 - 320 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
could i get some feed back on some of my pictures?

IMG_0770 by durty30, on Flickr

IMG_1125 by durty30, on Flickr
I'll try my absolute best to stay objective here - there's probably not much to say anyways, your photos are great already! At this point anything I say can be construed as splitting hairs :rofl:

1a.) Some of your highlights could do with a reduction - the shots of the blue E30 and S2k being the best examples where a reduction in exposure and/or different positioning could have helped even things out. (I suffer from the same issue in run n' gun shots in bright midday sunlight - most of the time it can't be helped unless you have the luxury of setting up camp and really dialing down the exposure in-camera or have the patience to correct it in post.) What I like to do is expose for highlights - shoot in aperture priority and set an exposure compensation of -0.7 stop, or even -1 stop. It's easier to bring details back out of underexposed areas than it is from overblown highlights.

1b.) Use a polarizing filter if you don't have one already - it'll kill reflections and harsh highlights and really make the car pop out from the background. I personally forget to use mine most of the time, but whenever I do bring it out I'm very pleased with the results - it's a must have for shooting shiny cars IMO.

I hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
could i get some feed back on some of my pictures?
Here's my personal opinion.

The tone on this one is great but I think the car should be a little more towards the bottom of the frame. Rule of thirds kinda thing.

Picture is overexposed. Expose for the car and use fill flash on the engine and/or lower part of the bumper if needed.

This is exposed perfectly but the subject is not interesting at all. It's a played-out idea in the first place...but he's wearing a Darth mask while driving a white car...just doesn't make sense. He should have a storm trooper mask on.

The one is excellent...the fence adds a feeling that the audience was actually there at the event. I would have cropped differently though, so that the car was closer to the bottom of the frame than the top. Also, the pole (?) on the left side of the picture is distracting. Maybe crop some (but not necessarily all) of that out.

This has a blue-ish hue to it. Did you do that on purpose? I'd color correct to make the colors more natural. Otherwise great composition. Maybe move slightly to the right so the "Hot Coals Only" isn't cut off by the car.

The framing of the car between the trees is great. However, the background sky, windshield and hood are blown out. The passenger side and bumper are underexposed. Shoot from the other direction, or use external flashes.

The pavement is a little overexposed. As guitarhead429 mentioned, shoot with a little lower exposure and then adjust the car in post-processing. I personally prefer the shadow/highlight function.

301 - 320 of 351 Posts