BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its driving me insane!

My 01 E46 SE switches its hazards on when ever it feels like. Sometimes when stationary with the alarm on, sometimes when driving. Sometimes it will flash once, then go off, other times it will flash constantly as if the button had been pressed, but it hasn't.

I have had to set up my CCTV to WATCH the car now, because it keeps happening and draining the battery! :(

The only other problem is the rear "brake light out" light is on, on the dash. But its fine (I've read this is an earthing problem, so will fix it when I get some time later). I only mention it incase they are related.

Any searches I've done bring up people with their hazard warning switch not working. Mine works fine, it works too well in fact!

This thread is good: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512654 but the switch isn't broken.

Can ANYONE please help me fix the hazards problem! Its driving me mad!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
This might sound like a dumb question, but could you have spilled some crap on the switch? I know I dumped half a cup of coffee on mine and it never misbehaved, but I think I got lucky! This is assuming that the switch on the 01s is right in front of the cupholders like mine is.

Bart

·
Registered
81 Posts
This happened to me. Not EXACTLY sure how I fixed it but I am pretty sure that the cause was a short behind the dash. To fix I removed the pod holding the guages and just moved the wiring around a bit. There are two screws at the top of the pod, just remove and pull on the reset knobs slowly to remove. After separating the wiring the issue went away and has not returned.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This happened to me. Not EXACTLY sure how I fixed it but I am pretty sure that the cause was a short behind the dash. To fix I removed the pod holding the guages and just moved the wiring around a bit. There are two screws at the top of the pod, just remove and pull on the reset knobs slowly to remove. After separating the wiring the issue went away and has not returned.
I think RCS328 is in the right track. One other thing I can think of is the flash module and/or fuse that is going bad but still slightly good.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
E46 SE?

Try taking apart the console where the switch is and cleaning it out or replacing it. It also may be a malfunctioning relay :dunno:

·
Registered
968 Posts
the ******* that had the car before me obviously spilled coke all over it or something. it sticks, and is hard to push, but it doesn't malfunction.

·
Registered
606 Posts
this used to happen in my dads e36 when he would start it. sometimes it came on sometimes it didnt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No spills that I know of. No problems with the central locking, which I'd expect would also be causing problems if there was a spill.

No shorts (other than the brake light warning being on).

The button isn't sticking. Its off.

I didn't think there would be a simple fix :( Shame!

I'll try removing the switch and seeing what happens :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Trust me, not the switch. The BMW master tech and I troubleshot this for the better part of a week off and on. No charge thank goodness. The module is located behind, well actually it is the switch where you turn the light on. I removed this first and played with it to no avail. I then moved to the cluster. I could actually make it turn on and off by moving the wiring around. Weird part is it would only do it in extreme 95+ heat. Never did it during the winter or spring months. I have now gone 2 years without it going off, you are correct, it will drive you insane. My wife used to laugh at me. She will hit the emergency light switch every once in awhile to see what I do......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah great!

So you're saying its this part circled?

Thanks a million for this! I was punching my hazard switch at one point! :D Talk about road rage! :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
The part that you have circled is the light/control module, plus quite a bit of other stuff too. That is where the mileage and some other info are stored as well, it also controls the emergency flashers but the part is probably not the cause. There is a short somewhere. That module is about 8 inches long. Anyway, you can try taking it out and moving the wiring around. Just remove the trim and you will see the two screws that hold it on. Just do not unplug it with the battery hooked up. After you pull the module out, move it around and try and get the flashers to come on. If they do not move on to the guage cluster. Do the same with the wiring behind it. If the flashers come on then you are close. I traced the wires as far as I could reach to search for exposed wires but never could see or feel any. But I could twist the cluster and cause the flashers to light up. I basically twisted it as far as I could away from the offending twist and shoved it back in. Problem solved now for a couple of years at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts