E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This post is not me looking for help, or trying to find a mod, or wondering what oil or gasoline I should use, I posted it for two reasons. I just want to share my story with you guys and I want to provide another reason for all of us to feel prideful about the cars that we already love more than pretty much anything else on the road.

In April of 2009, I was feverishly searching for a car to buy as my first. I had worked for 4 years before (at our family business for 4 and my friend's father's business for 2) saving up money for a car. I was all over ebay, copart, autotrader, etc. searching for a car that reflected my hard work and love of driving. I was doing so much research because I didn't want to be just another high school kid with a piece of :censor: Saturn or Hyundai paying more for repairs than I did for the car. So the search continued until I came across a car. It was a Steel Blue/Black 2001 330i with 82,XXX miles. There was one issue. It was a wreck.

It needed pretty much a whole new front. A new air-box, Mass Airflow Sensor, fan housing, radiator, radiator parts, AC parts, both front fenders, front bumper, hood, all 8 front lights, the windshield washer reservoir, driver window regulator and a few suspension parts. Call me insane for buying a car that needed so much stuff, but for $3,500, I jumped at the chance. My dad and I drove to Queens in NY (about 90 miles away) and paid cash, put it on a flatbed, and bought it home.

I bought all of the parts for it (like 1800 dollars) and my father and I got to work. We put most of the parts on the car by ourselves and it took absolutely forever, but after paying my dad's mechanic friend $200 to fix the last few things we just couldn't do by ourselves and all of the fluids (besides brakes) being drained and replaced, the car was done. It was in my driveway inspected, washed, waxed, but not yet registered, patiently awaiting the day when I'd be able to register the car (too complicated to explain).

Then the day came. I took my test in my dad's Subaru wagon (the car I had driven the most untill that point) and passed. At the DMV, while I was doing my license stuff, my dad was secretly registering the car at another desk. That was my birthday gift, when I finished my licence, I walked back to my father and he presented me with the registration and somehow this snake got the car insured without me knowing as well. I was ecstatic and ran home to drive it.

I loved the car and drove pretty well, for about a week, untill September 11th the car went through its second accident :banghead:. I am a jackass and did a nice 180-to-guardrail at slow speed cause I wasn't used to it on the wet yet. I pretty much killed the rear right quarterpanel and had to get it bent out and repainted, along with the rear left axle (i guess?). Since I don't do bodywork I had to give it to a guy to do this. That cost me 800 bucks, and then the piece of the axle cost me like 200 to buy and then 100 to install. I didn't bother with insurance I'd rather do it myself than pay premiums forever.

The car is now finished again, and after two months of driving around with the SES, oil, and coolant lights and 4 trips to the inspection station, my car finally has everything sorted out and passed 3 days ago. The amount of happiness I'm at right now is incredible. So much so, that I did a full detailing in 40 degree weather yesterday.

You can make fun of me for driving stupidly at first and call me class of 09 or a spoiled brat or whatever you want, but I did all the work to buy this car, pay off both accidents, and did quite a bit of the work myself with my father to fix it. I love this thing and plan on driving it through my college years till the day it dies somewhere.

I just want you all to know just how much of a beating these cars can take and still make us happy :)

Grand Total for the car: About 7,000 dollars after both accidents.

I saw an clean-title 03 Neon (not an SRT4) for $8,995 at a dealer yesterday.:lmao:

That said: :hi: everyone :)

(I wish I had pics of the car after the accidents, just the finished product though)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Alloy wheel

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well done putting it together with your Dad, you will not forget those times in the future. Take a defensive driving course, learn how to skid and control the car in a controlled environment. You will be a much better driver afterward. It is an investment, however, it will be well worth it to you in the future and may in fact save your life some day. DO IT!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Congratulations on your fine car, and good luck with your writing career. :)

It's "indestruct i ble" though. That's OK, your publisher will catch the typos. :lmao:

Hey, I'm just busting your chops. Well done! :bow:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Congrats And it is actually a cool story Looks like you did a great Job on fixing it up!

LET THE MODS BEGIN!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So down for the defensive driving course. When I scrounge up a little more money I'll do that. It wasn't as much an accident as me turning to my friend saying "check this out" switching off DSC and hitting the guardrail. I'm not saying I'm an incredible driver since but I definitely take it easy on corners and stuff. Then after my course and college I might get into some mods. Anything like cheap(and tasteful of course) that I can do now to just make it look a little less like the e46s I try to fruitlessly signal to on the road that don't signal back cause they're being driven by 45 year old trophywives?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha sorry about the length i just came in the house and had some time during the game and wanted to share.

·
Registered
208 Posts
nice job man. I did the same thing with one of my 4 Audi A4 Quattro and I know exactly how you feel when you mentioned replacing and repairing all those parts as i did after running into a boulder. Welp as that was when I was 19 years old and times are different I couldn't buy a wrecked car now unless its a crazy deal. I commend you and your pops for doing all that work, especially your pops cause I know you couldn't do it yourself, as i know i couldn't. Again nice job, and hope to see some mods coming! OH! and gat damn that thing is a TANK! Pce

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Well at least you got that first accident out of the way (the accident before you bought the car doesn't count). I think that we all have went through those first wrecks when we were younger. I know I did. I tend to take more chances while driving knowing I can fix it. DON'T DO THAT!! Anyhow, cool story!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, my dad really really did a lot of the work, I was kinda the apprentice but did a lot of research and found any DIYs I could and obviously picked up some stuff a lot along the way. I was shocked to see his knowledge, I had no idea how good he was. But all those hours in the garage were really nice together. And yeah getting the accident outta the way was pretty nice because my friend and I were safe and paying for the accident didn't cost me as much as it should have. It really is night and day though with my driving, I used to try to be "badass" and take turns much, much too fast or spin my tires when I rolled away from a stop sign or light. I'm done with that. I have no idea how to drive agressively yet so why should I try?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Good job on making your first car one you had to put plenty of work into. :thumbsup: That's gotta be the best way to make it something you'll really appreciate and take care of.

It was a Steel Blue/Black 2001 330i with 82,XXX miles.
Heh, I bought my steel blue 2001 330i when it has 82,xxx miles on it too. Mine just wasn't wrecked and it has the gray interior. (I'd prefer black...)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The way I saw it, why should I buy some random car I wouldn't care about then wanna buy a nicer one every time I drove it?this way I have a nice car and I really appreciate it cause of the time we put into it. Tangent, what are some nice mods that look good on our color? I see the blacked out kidneys, did you black out your chrome on the side of the car too?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot bob! At first I wasn't a fan of the steel blue though I didn't like it as much as some other colors. But it really grew on me!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh how could I have forgotten! Nick helped a lot with the car too! He is my mom's boyfriend's neighbor and a guy with a lot of talent who replaced my wheelspeed sensor, checked my codes countless times, and has given me tons of advice on where to find parts and other stuff. Without him I'd probably still be fixing the car! And wouldn't be on these forums

Thanks nick!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Scrub. i encourage you to Disregard 99% of what going nuts says Hamster>Going nuts

1 - 20 of 38 Posts