E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
thats how mine looks.
still rolling.
hoping to have it fixed next month.

thats the driver side rear mount right? thats the one on mine, looks the same way.
checked the other 3, theyre not ripped out yet. lol

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
24,345 Posts
yep that is a shame. sorry to see this. even worse is that it wasn't discovered earlier so you could have just done the plates. now it's gonna need a lot more work/materials.

i'd see if you can have your insurance cover it. if BMW insists it's not a defect then it must have happened from a road inpact..right :eeps:

and no, it's been discussed before. this is not (nor would i suggest) any type of fraud

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
yep that is a shame. sorry to see this. even worse is that it wasn't discovered earlier so you could have just done the plates. now it's gonna need a lot more work/materials.

i'd see if you can have your insurance cover it. if BMW insists it's not a defect then it must have happened from a road inpact..right :eeps:

and no, it's been discussed before. this is not (nor would i suggest) any type of fraud
That's a great idea. I'll be getting in touch with them later today to see if I can file a claim :)

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
no way that was inspected and 6 months later turned into that. no way. Why didn't you take it to the dealer under the recall to get inspected?
Had it looked at back in 2009 and it was totally fine..

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,998 Posts
Hmmm? A dealer inspection in 2009, then 3 years later this?

I don't think that that dealer dropped the rear axle carrier. Something was brewing 3 years ago. I'd go back to that dealer and have a little chat.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

I don't think that that dealer dropped the rear axle carrier. Something was brewing 3 years ago. I'd go back to that dealer and have a little chat.
That's certainly a possibility. I'm just amazed at the extensiveness of the damage and the fact that the car remained strong and drove sturdy with no real indicators (minus the audible clunk I heard the last few days I drove it)...

Either way, the pearl is a superstar for making it this far.. Achilles will rise from the ashes.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
24,345 Posts
this could easily have happened in three years time.
Achilles will rise from the ashes.
it's "Phoenix", mixing up your mythology

·
Registered
7,229 Posts

I suspect many dealers didn't bother dropping the rear axle carrier. I know when I brought my car in, the inspection seemed to be too quick.

This issue is starting to worry me. I'm seeing a lot more of them pop up than before (especially with the M3s). Really don't feel like dropping my rear-axle carrier to check though.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
24,345 Posts
I suspect many dealers didn't bother dropping the rear axle carrier. I know when I brought my car in, the inspection seemed to be too quick.

This issue is starting to worry me. I'm seeing a lot more of them pop up than before (especially with the M3s). Really don't feel like dropping my rear-axle carrier to check though.
well this first part is true, as Doug knows. i told him to recheck his subframe mounts by cleaning the area(which his first dealer did not do). that's right before the deadline and sure enough he found small cracks that the dealer did not find earlier that year. saving him around $5k.

it's not hard to check, you can just loosen the bolts to drop down a little more to inspect. but cleaning all dirt and grim off to see what's under is the most important to find the beginning stages of the cracks. when it's pulled out completely is when it's obvious...but also too late.

·
Registered
29,522 Posts
well this first part is true, as Doug knows. i told him to recheck his subframe mounts by cleaning the area(which his first dealer did not do). that's right before the deadline and sure enough he found small cracks that the dealer did not find earlier that year. saving him around $5k.

it's not hard to check, you can just loosen the bolts to drop down a little more to inspect. but cleaning all dirt and grim off to see what's under is the most important to find the beginning stages of the cracks. when it's pulled out completely is when it's obvious...but also too late.
How far can the rear subframe be lowered once you remove the bolts? Wouldn't the shocks or drivetrain be stressed a bit?

·
Registered
7,229 Posts

I suppose it's not all that difficult... I really don't have the time as of late though. Are there any driving symptoms in the early stages of failure?

on a car that's two generations old and after a class-action lawsuit? lol.
Well... I think what kinda sucks is that early E46s got > 10 years to develop an issue and have it fixed, while those of us with later models barely got 5-6 years coverage. It should've been 10 years from the delivery date of the car or something along those lines. Not that my complaining about it will change anything... but yeah, it pisses me off when I think about it.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,998 Posts
Alex might be right that it could happen in 3 years. I know his 'check your subframe thread' did save me a ton. Anyway, you don't have to drop it if you see a tear outside the bushing, of course...you'd drop it a little just to look above...

Kalim told me that the TIS says just loosen the rear two bolts while supporting the carrier as it lowers. The whole unit weighs maybe 500 lbs so a good jack under it would be good.

Anyway, Mango, I think an inch with a good flashlight should be enough to look around on top...inspection mirror. I'm sure there's undercoating above that bushing, so if you remove the undercoating and don't find anything, be sure to spray it with something (maybe?) before closing things back up again. And that's what bmw says to do somewhere...trust me, trusting Kalim!

Your alignment will get messed up if you loosen the front two bolts on the rear axle carrier, so leave them be. Never heard of a failure 'only' in the front.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
^ the front cracks too Doug.
usually they go driver rear mount, then driver front, or passenger front.
Thing is the fronts tend to crack and cave in, while the rears tend to rip out.

And nothing is exempt, saw a FB feed from a a reputable tuner where a bone stock 03 M3 convertible, ripped the hell out, and ive heard of a few tourings fail from my buddy that works at the dealership.

Its a damn shame. this and those frikin vapor barriers are to me, the biggest let downs as far as BMWs QC and manufacturing is concerned.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,998 Posts
Interesting, Snik. Didn't know that...obviously!

My driver's rear was worst off...pass rear too. Don't recall about my fronts

The vapor barrier is kind of cheap, but it is waterproof and sound deadening while being light. I know some cars have tougher stuff...some just a polyurethane sheet. Anyway, don't be so hard on BMW for a VB...subframe is quite a bit larger of a failure.

I thought later on in the model run they supposedly stiffened the floor.

Anyway, I bet we'll begin seeing more and more things like this, especially from those here who bought the car from someone who ignored getting it inspected, or didn't have a clue what the inspection was for and didn't personally verify.

Hopefully someone reading will go back to the 'how to check subframe' threads and find something before it gets as bad as Chase's.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.