E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
on a car that's two generations old and after a class-action lawsuit? lol.
Ok Is It not a faluty with BMW ? I mean lets think about It how many BMWS world wide have this Issue ? 2gen late or not Its still a fault , If they can do a recall on tails seeing our cars are 2 gens old then they can sure as hell fix there mistakes.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
lol homeless is a big issue too. I am surprised ppl don't just donate all their spare $ instead of buying ipads and drive BMWs.
I always donate but just not with money , Clothes , shoes and etc..I see what youre saying..

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,997 Posts
How did the race go with the 330ci automatic on 18s?
George didn't make it, but we're trying for this weekend...and I'll let you know.

But, I got within a quarter second of a 330ci manual...and about 2 mph...so I'm pretty close!

As far as BMW still being 'responsible,' I have to say I agree with Mike. It's up to 13 years old now, and BMW can't be responsible for all the things that owners might have been doing with their cars in that time. At some point, age, corrosion, neglect is going to take its toll on a car.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mazda Canada still covers there line of cars from 2005 and on due to the cheap paint used..

·
Registered
29,522 Posts
Yeah anything done on BMW's part which is outside the warranty and/or the law, is simply out of good will and PR-related. That being said, such a basic component of a car should not fail and could leave BMW liable for any resulting property damage or injuries which occur from the failure. It's not reasonable that a floorpan gets torn out but I also don't see it causing a catastrophic crash or failure. The noises will warn you well before it gets to the point where it causes an accident. So a business case also has to be made. All comes down to money.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Work is underway to fix the subframe on Achilles (formerly the Green Pearl)....

RRT is taking tons of pictures so I'll keep this updated visually for you guys :hi:

In their own words

RRT said:
Ouch! This is one of the worst, but believe it or not, not the worst E46 subframe issues we have seen. This one is going to take some extra time but we will get it fixed up and back out on the road.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,997 Posts
So, I'm glad it's in good hands, Fern Green brother!

And now...I bet you didn't except the forthcoming Spanish Inquisition! :lmao:

For our reading public, I'm curious what led you to finding this and how it was that it wasn't noticed before? I know guys hear creaking or groaning. You must have a loud exhaust or sound system or something, huh?

Also, not knowing your maintenance habits or the knowledge of those poking around under your car, I'd just ask whether you have anyone to hold partially responsible for this. If a dealer had your car in for its $150 oil change, I'd have a talk with someone there, I think. Just saying...nothing personal!

What were you feeling in the last days of the Green Pearl driving around? Floaty a bit maybe?

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Strangely enough, the car felt reasonably tight and responsive. And, while I heard creaks over strange inclines (any time the chassis would flex), it was only recently that there was anything obvious (audibly anyway).

As for work on the car, RRT has done all mechanical work on the vehicle for the past 3 or 4 years and every time I've had it in for work, I've asked them to look at the subframe. The vehicle was in their shop towards the end of last year for some light touch up work and, at that point in time, they told me the subframe looked absolutely perfect with no visible cracks. Now this leads me to one of two possibilities :

1. RRT was checking and there was no visible damage.. perhaps the subframe was weaking from the inside out and it lead to a sudden catastrophic failure in the thousand or so miles the car has been driven since late last year.

2. RRT failed to inspect the subframe (or failed to do it thoroughly enough) and, in turn, did not notice the damage that was brewing.

I unfortunately have no recourse for the latter as it would effectively be my word against that of the shop... I'll take their word at face value as they've never given me a reason to question such (especially James the owner)... but this is a hefty bill for sure.

I'm going to try and check with BMW NA to see if they can help out with the costs (of which RRT is already willing to help me thankfully).

In the final days leading up to the discovery though, I did notice a popping noise whenever I would decelerate. For example, if put into first and given gas, the car sounded normal.. but as soon as I would let off the gas, I would hear a rubber popping sound as if you were slapping two plastic/rubber tubs together...

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,997 Posts
So my dealer inspected my subframe under the settlement, then just about a week before the period ended, I inspected myself.

At that time, I had a crack visible outside the bushing...but I had to clean off the undercoating to see it...as per all the directions here. I don't know if there wasn't a crack when it was inspected by the dealer or whether they didn't lower the subframe to check the area above the bushing...I just know that in one year's time, I had a small tear (forget if it was 1 or 2" outside of bushing).

It's good your shop is helping you out and I think they should and that speaks highly of them. They probably didn't know to clean off the undercoating and look. I understand that's an 'inside' thing, but they might have also advised you at the time to get a subframe inspection done at dealer...and you should have read about it here.

Anyway, that's the way it goes. It's certainly not your shop's issue that it tore, but it certainly bears some responsibility. BMWNA seems to be helping out some it seems somewhat quietly.

If the shop is going to remove the floor, maybe BMW would supply the part for you?

GL!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Who is RRT? How much are they estimating the damage at?

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,997 Posts
Wait, DMAX. So you have a torn floor panel? Did you get it fixed? or just living with it? confused.
Sorry, it's fixed under settlement at bmw dealer with body shop. I inspected it myself a year after the dealer inspected it and didn't see anything. My inspection was just a week before the settlement period ended.

I've got a new floor and foam epoxy. Oh, baby!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Nothing new, typical 323/328 failure. Whats interesting is that is happening on a show car that is never driven , thats whats interesting. Meaning the floor is even weaker them I thought .

Wish you luck in fixing it, as to do it properly it'll cost you much over 3500 closer to 5000. Need new subfloor,subframe mounts, diff mounts ....

·
Registered
91 Posts
As far as BMW still being 'responsible,' I have to say I agree with Mike. It's up to 13 years old now, and BMW can't be responsible for all the things that owners might have been doing with their cars in that time. At some point, age, corrosion, neglect is going to take its toll on a car.
Man, seeing these threads seriously pisses me the fcuk off.

This is not the first time... E36s have this issue too along with failing aluminum foil rear shock mounts. I completley understand your point regarding neglect, but these cars a designed to be the ultimate driving machine, no? This is clearly a design flaw across multiple generations and models, I feel BMW should stand behind their cars and be responsible for it regardless. This isn't some crap ass expansion tank design, this is the frame, the foundation of the car. It is BMWs fault for not designing these areas correctly.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.