E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Don't worry, the Fern Green 3s can handle a tear no problem!

Turner kit maybe. Look into just getting the whole floor piece and take it for welding in. Dealers with body shop will be most reliable, and mine was done in 3 days...guy had done hundreds of them.

I believe I'd read that the floor from the vert is what they're using as it's beefier sheet metal, and getting the epoxy foam treatment would be a nice little thing to add on to stiffen things up.

Sorry to see Pearl is torn up a bit; hope you get it all straightened away soon. Oh, and I think she will be the same again. May be a good time to get bushings replaced back there too.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
DMAX, any strange noises or clunks from yours, esp. after the drag racing? I'm surprised yours has held up so well after 233k miles. I suppose NOT stancing, slamming, stretching, and poking MAY help some but I'm not sure??
:shhh: I see what you did there ;)
Sorry, Mango, but drag racing was all in a day's work for my car, It took it in stride as I knew it would. It was only 88 mph, but hopefully this weekend, if the race goes on, I'll get up to 90.

Also, 323I00, I didn't see what he did there...but then I'm not as sharp as I used to be either!

But, I suppose it's not doing the things you said and keeping an eye on things. I really haven't done anything in a long while. I need to change oil (drag raced at something like 12K miles on oil).

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
How did the race go with the 330ci automatic on 18s?
George didn't make it, but we're trying for this weekend...and I'll let you know.

But, I got within a quarter second of a 330ci manual...and about 2 mph...so I'm pretty close!

As far as BMW still being 'responsible,' I have to say I agree with Mike. It's up to 13 years old now, and BMW can't be responsible for all the things that owners might have been doing with their cars in that time. At some point, age, corrosion, neglect is going to take its toll on a car.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
So, I'm glad it's in good hands, Fern Green brother!

And now...I bet you didn't except the forthcoming Spanish Inquisition! :lmao:

For our reading public, I'm curious what led you to finding this and how it was that it wasn't noticed before? I know guys hear creaking or groaning. You must have a loud exhaust or sound system or something, huh?

Also, not knowing your maintenance habits or the knowledge of those poking around under your car, I'd just ask whether you have anyone to hold partially responsible for this. If a dealer had your car in for its $150 oil change, I'd have a talk with someone there, I think. Just saying...nothing personal!

What were you feeling in the last days of the Green Pearl driving around? Floaty a bit maybe?

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
So my dealer inspected my subframe under the settlement, then just about a week before the period ended, I inspected myself.

At that time, I had a crack visible outside the bushing...but I had to clean off the undercoating to see it...as per all the directions here. I don't know if there wasn't a crack when it was inspected by the dealer or whether they didn't lower the subframe to check the area above the bushing...I just know that in one year's time, I had a small tear (forget if it was 1 or 2" outside of bushing).

It's good your shop is helping you out and I think they should and that speaks highly of them. They probably didn't know to clean off the undercoating and look. I understand that's an 'inside' thing, but they might have also advised you at the time to get a subframe inspection done at dealer...and you should have read about it here.

Anyway, that's the way it goes. It's certainly not your shop's issue that it tore, but it certainly bears some responsibility. BMWNA seems to be helping out some it seems somewhat quietly.

If the shop is going to remove the floor, maybe BMW would supply the part for you?

GL!

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Wait, DMAX. So you have a torn floor panel? Did you get it fixed? or just living with it? confused.
Sorry, it's fixed under settlement at bmw dealer with body shop. I inspected it myself a year after the dealer inspected it and didn't see anything. My inspection was just a week before the settlement period ended.

I've got a new floor and foam epoxy. Oh, baby!

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Hmmm? A dealer inspection in 2009, then 3 years later this?

I don't think that that dealer dropped the rear axle carrier. Something was brewing 3 years ago. I'd go back to that dealer and have a little chat.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Alex might be right that it could happen in 3 years. I know his 'check your subframe thread' did save me a ton. Anyway, you don't have to drop it if you see a tear outside the bushing, of course...you'd drop it a little just to look above...

Kalim told me that the TIS says just loosen the rear two bolts while supporting the carrier as it lowers. The whole unit weighs maybe 500 lbs so a good jack under it would be good.

Anyway, Mango, I think an inch with a good flashlight should be enough to look around on top...inspection mirror. I'm sure there's undercoating above that bushing, so if you remove the undercoating and don't find anything, be sure to spray it with something (maybe?) before closing things back up again. And that's what bmw says to do somewhere...trust me, trusting Kalim!

Your alignment will get messed up if you loosen the front two bolts on the rear axle carrier, so leave them be. Never heard of a failure 'only' in the front.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Interesting, Snik. Didn't know that...obviously!

My driver's rear was worst off...pass rear too. Don't recall about my fronts

The vapor barrier is kind of cheap, but it is waterproof and sound deadening while being light. I know some cars have tougher stuff...some just a polyurethane sheet. Anyway, don't be so hard on BMW for a VB...subframe is quite a bit larger of a failure.

I thought later on in the model run they supposedly stiffened the floor.

Anyway, I bet we'll begin seeing more and more things like this, especially from those here who bought the car from someone who ignored getting it inspected, or didn't have a clue what the inspection was for and didn't personally verify.

Hopefully someone reading will go back to the 'how to check subframe' threads and find something before it gets as bad as Chase's.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Chase, in response to Block's post above, I'll just say I was thinking more like a clam! LOL

The plate they've made looks like it's much heftier than the sheet metal that was there before. It would be nice, though, if they filled in those little holes at least so water doesn't sit down below at least.

I'm sure that from a cost/benefit point of view, you'll be ahead of the game. Welding is really strong...even if it doesn't look so pretty. It almost looks like they were using the cardboard to make a template to fit a piece of metal in the back as a brace...or was that just to stop your carpet from getting burned?

Nice to see the progress so quickly. Let us know how you like your repair...I'm sure you'll be fine for many years. Hope so!

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Thank you Blocked! I have to say that I just welded for the very first time and that welding looked somewhat better than mine! (I fixed a bracket on a '74 Alfa Spyder for the alt.

Anyway, one thing I've learned about mechanics is that they know what will work. Chase said this was a racing shop, I think, so I'm sure the final repair will be fine...and that he'll easily get weeks of driving pleasure out of his car!

Also, you know, it's a little too late to complain about the approach they took with this...except for those openings you noticed. They won't like Chase for saying anything, since they've already primed it...but they'll just need to clean off the primer and do some more welding is all.

1 - 12 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.