E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29,522 Posts
DMAX, any strange noises or clunks from yours, esp. after the drag racing? I'm surprised yours has held up so well after 233k miles. I suppose NOT stancing, slamming, stretching, and poking MAY help some but I'm not sure??

·
Registered
29,522 Posts
Yeah anything done on BMW's part which is outside the warranty and/or the law, is simply out of good will and PR-related. That being said, such a basic component of a car should not fail and could leave BMW liable for any resulting property damage or injuries which occur from the failure. It's not reasonable that a floorpan gets torn out but I also don't see it causing a catastrophic crash or failure. The noises will warn you well before it gets to the point where it causes an accident. So a business case also has to be made. All comes down to money.

·
Registered
29,522 Posts
well this first part is true, as Doug knows. i told him to recheck his subframe mounts by cleaning the area(which his first dealer did not do). that's right before the deadline and sure enough he found small cracks that the dealer did not find earlier that year. saving him around $5k.

it's not hard to check, you can just loosen the bolts to drop down a little more to inspect. but cleaning all dirt and grim off to see what's under is the most important to find the beginning stages of the cracks. when it's pulled out completely is when it's obvious...but also too late.
How far can the rear subframe be lowered once you remove the bolts? Wouldn't the shocks or drivetrain be stressed a bit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.