E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

RRT said the only times they've seen a subframe in worse shape, the car was brought in on a flatbed. This is the rear passenger side which makes it even more peculiar.

I've been trolling the subframe discussion forum and it seems like there is no use in contacting BMW NA about reimbursement.. but I suppose it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Work is underway to fix the subframe on Achilles (formerly the Green Pearl)....

RRT is taking tons of pictures so I'll keep this updated visually for you guys :hi:

In their own words

RRT said:
Ouch! This is one of the worst, but believe it or not, not the worst E46 subframe issues we have seen. This one is going to take some extra time but we will get it fixed up and back out on the road.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Strangely enough, the car felt reasonably tight and responsive. And, while I heard creaks over strange inclines (any time the chassis would flex), it was only recently that there was anything obvious (audibly anyway).

As for work on the car, RRT has done all mechanical work on the vehicle for the past 3 or 4 years and every time I've had it in for work, I've asked them to look at the subframe. The vehicle was in their shop towards the end of last year for some light touch up work and, at that point in time, they told me the subframe looked absolutely perfect with no visible cracks. Now this leads me to one of two possibilities :

1. RRT was checking and there was no visible damage.. perhaps the subframe was weaking from the inside out and it lead to a sudden catastrophic failure in the thousand or so miles the car has been driven since late last year.

2. RRT failed to inspect the subframe (or failed to do it thoroughly enough) and, in turn, did not notice the damage that was brewing.

I unfortunately have no recourse for the latter as it would effectively be my word against that of the shop... I'll take their word at face value as they've never given me a reason to question such (especially James the owner)... but this is a hefty bill for sure.

I'm going to try and check with BMW NA to see if they can help out with the costs (of which RRT is already willing to help me thankfully).

In the final days leading up to the discovery though, I did notice a popping noise whenever I would decelerate. For example, if put into first and given gas, the car sounded normal.. but as soon as I would let off the gas, I would hear a rubber popping sound as if you were slapping two plastic/rubber tubs together...

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
yep that is a shame. sorry to see this. even worse is that it wasn't discovered earlier so you could have just done the plates. now it's gonna need a lot more work/materials.

i'd see if you can have your insurance cover it. if BMW insists it's not a defect then it must have happened from a road inpact..right :eeps:

and no, it's been discussed before. this is not (nor would i suggest) any type of fraud
That's a great idea. I'll be getting in touch with them later today to see if I can file a claim :)

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
no way that was inspected and 6 months later turned into that. no way. Why didn't you take it to the dealer under the recall to get inspected?
Had it looked at back in 2009 and it was totally fine..

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hmmm? A dealer inspection in 2009, then 3 years later this?

I don't think that that dealer dropped the rear axle carrier. Something was brewing 3 years ago. I'd go back to that dealer and have a little chat.
That's certainly a possibility. I'm just amazed at the extensiveness of the damage and the fact that the car remained strong and drove sturdy with no real indicators (minus the audible clunk I heard the last few days I drove it)...

Either way, the pearl is a superstar for making it this far.. Achilles will rise from the ashes.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
it's "Phoenix", mixing up your mythology
:lmao: true... I decided to dub the Pearl Achilles given the "heel" of the car has caused catastrophic failure... Always thought of the rear wheels as the leg so I figure the subframe mount can be the heel :)

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
^If that's true, the CABs are the t*ts. or would those be the windshield washer nozzles?
Wheels = feet = shoes
Headlights = tatas or eyes?
Rear bumper = @$$
Front bumper = mouth
exhaust pipe = :eeps:
Motor = heart

:dunno:

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
For those critiquing the repair done, all I can really say (as I'm not a tech) is that :

- these are just the pictures they sent. I'm not sure what the finished product looked like (or how far along the process the "ugly" repair was... for all I know, they painted it to clean it up
- The shop has been doing one or two of these repairs a month and is extremely reputable. When they initially told me about the damage, they said it was impossible to tell how extensive it was until they removed enough of the car to get in there and check it out... once they had gotten in the work, they let me know that they wouldn't have to redo the entire floor pan as it was structurally sound

I'm hoping for the best :hi:

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
With the help of RRT and a good friend, finally had Achilles put back together and was able to pick him up today

Total subframe bill was 3100 FWIW

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
suppose it could have been worse

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
OK, so the major charges incurred as a result of the subframe.

- E46 rear subframe reinforcement kit - 149.95
- Check subframe for cracks - no charge
- Install e46 rear subframe reinforcement kit - 1,470
- Repair major damage to subframe mounting point, trunk floor, and wheel well. Remove and reinstall aftermarket components and stereo equiptment - 787.50

Total - $2407.45

Additional costs incurred
- Oil filter kit - 8.78
Motul 5w40 at 11.29 a piece x 7 = 83.93
Fuel filter - 24
Motul brake fluid 11.99
Shop supplies - 40
Oil service - 47.50
Replace fuel filter - 73.50
Four wheel alignment - 150
Hazardous materials removal - 20

So, in total
Labor : 2786
Parts - 318
Tax - 15
Total $3120

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I think I'll take care of the reinforcement sometime this summer. Hopefully it won't develop a crack between now and then
Definitely a good idea. I figured that with my driving style, mine would be fine.. but apparently it can happen regardless of how easily you drive your car.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I take it is way cheaper to install the kit before your car tears?
Not entirely. If the tear is minor, the limited welding that will be required shouldn't jack up your costs... if it goes unnoticed and the crack becomes a big tear, than you're going to pay far more. I paid roughly 800 additional dollars to cover the repairs done to fix the crack/tear in my subframe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.