E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

RRT said the only times they've seen a subframe in worse shape, the car was brought in on a flatbed. This is the rear passenger side which makes it even more peculiar.

I've been trolling the subframe discussion forum and it seems like there is no use in contacting BMW NA about reimbursement.. but I suppose it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My drivers side looked like that on my 328ci, it costed around 2000 euro in labor and new bushings to get fixed. It is doable but the damage has to be cut out and replaced with a new fabricated peice which a good metalworker can do

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry dude! I searched my butt off in regards to the subframe issue when I started having all of my other issues with the car, fully expecting to find something wrong since it seemed to have every issue that an e46 can have. I lucked out when I looked, all was okay. In my research I did find that a lot of current owners are getting partial payouts from BMWna to assist in paying for the repair. Seems like the key to getting anything is staying on their backs about it and being as polite as possible. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Chase, if you are calling around for quotes, since you are in MD go into S2 Dynamics. Pat is a great guy and very knowledgeable. He quoted me $700 to do the reinforcement kit from Turner. But he did say that was without any subframe damage to start with. He said if there was damage already it would make the job a bit harder and price would change a bit. But still worth a shot, as it is much cheaper than most other places as a baseline.

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
Don't worry, the Fern Green 3s can handle a tear no problem!

Turner kit maybe. Look into just getting the whole floor piece and take it for welding in. Dealers with body shop will be most reliable, and mine was done in 3 days...guy had done hundreds of them.

I believe I'd read that the floor from the vert is what they're using as it's beefier sheet metal, and getting the epoxy foam treatment would be a nice little thing to add on to stiffen things up.

Sorry to see Pearl is torn up a bit; hope you get it all straightened away soon. Oh, and I think she will be the same again. May be a good time to get bushings replaced back there too.

·
Registered
29,522 Posts
DMAX, any strange noises or clunks from yours, esp. after the drag racing? I'm surprised yours has held up so well after 233k miles. I suppose NOT stancing, slamming, stretching, and poking MAY help some but I'm not sure??

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
DMAX, any strange noises or clunks from yours, esp. after the drag racing? I'm surprised yours has held up so well after 233k miles. I suppose NOT stancing, slamming, stretching, and poking MAY help some but I'm not sure??
:shhh: I see what you did there ;)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Im surprised BMW wont warranty this any more when Its there biggest Issue ..

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,995 Posts
:shhh: I see what you did there ;)
Sorry, Mango, but drag racing was all in a day's work for my car, It took it in stride as I knew it would. It was only 88 mph, but hopefully this weekend, if the race goes on, I'll get up to 90.

Also, 323I00, I didn't see what he did there...but then I'm not as sharp as I used to be either!

But, I suppose it's not doing the things you said and keeping an eye on things. I really haven't done anything in a long while. I need to change oil (drag raced at something like 12K miles on oil).

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.