BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas, I went to go buy/borrow some MB Quart speakers, but all they had were the Reference series component system in stock... they should do fine for the experiment's sake. the RSD216 woofer is the same size as the DSD216 and PSD216. the PSD216 might have a larger/deeper basket. I took my door panel off and it fits, but you will need a custom trim ring(made from wood) or you need to secure the speaker with metal brakets. When we installed QM215.61Q's we used metal brakets to secure it to the stock screw locations. I personally would rather router a wooden trim ring. The RSD216's came with the MB quart rings, which WOULD NOT FIT the area for the speaker at all. So the Reference, Discus and Premium lines should all fit the coupe area wise, the PSD216 should make the depth requirement also. All i need now is to borrow an E46 sedan so I can test the fitment. I'll have pics up shortly(waiting for battery to recharge).

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,995 Posts
hurry up! lol jk

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
ahh ok so it will fit but will need some sort of custom rings or brackets.. (sorry just had to re-state that)

Tex! Where's your sedan!

Bender:

How hard is it to make custom wood rings? I have a jigsaw, but no router... :)

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delirium said:
ahh ok so it will fit but will need some sort of custom rings or brackets.. (sorry just had to re-state that)

Tex! Where's your sedan!

Bender:

How hard is it to make custom wood rings? I have a jigsaw, but no router... :)
will fit the coupe with custom trim rings to hold it in place... you could use a jigsaw too. pics on the way.

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock screw hole locations in the boxes. see how the quarts dont line up with the screw locations. Not using the MB trim ring here, since it wont fit in area outlined in green.

Attachments

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oversized MB Quart trim ring... cant use the trim ring that comes with the MB Quart

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
speaker location with HK speaker out... black ring is the stock ring that the hk sits on.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,995 Posts
wait, you have hk..we all have non hk...does that make a difference in the stock fitments? lol

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Wow that space looks like a tight fit for the speaker.. custom trim piece does not look that hard, its only held in at 3 places? Its almost as if the MDQ needs little arms to strech out to the brass screw holes.. great info bender....

Any info on sedans yet? I think you can just go to the dealer & take off a door panel from the showroom vehicle. Just let them know you will put it back & that you are a PROFESSIONAL

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Delirium said:
Wow that space looks like a tight fit for the speaker.. custom trim piece does not look that hard, its only held in at 3 places? Its almost as if the MDQ needs little arms to strech out to the brass screw holes.. great info bender....

Any info on sedans yet? I think you can just go to the dealer & take off a door panel from the showroom vehicle. Just let them know you will put it back & that you are a PROFESSIONAL
yeah just three screws. you could use metal brackets to secure the MB quarts to the three screw holes. thats what i did for the Q series... nothing on the sedan yet. I wanted to get a 2003 loaner and pull the radio out... haha swap it for my 2002 radio. they wouldnt know by looking at it. ha.

as far as HK and non HK, it should be the same. same size door.

·
Registered
402 Posts
how think of a piece of wood are you guys using. would 1/4 inch masinite work or should i go with 3/4 mdf and make a notch for the lip of the basket to fit in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts