E46 Fanatics Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
-finally, when are they going to stop putting disc drives in these things? this is just kind of a musing/joke and I see nobody else has brought this up... they might as well include a tape deck. I mean really... this applies to all the manufacturers: I'm sure some people out there *still* have CDs and DVDs to use, but come now. Why on earth... just put a SATA tray in there and let people plug in 2.5 inch solid state and HDDs instead, it would be WAY more useful :D
Not sure if you are joking with the 2.5 SATA tray idea but I don't think there is much appeal to that. You can get a microSD in 64GB. If that isn't enough you could plug a HDD or SSD into the USB port. No harm done in keeping the CD tray for the few people that might use it. Just my 2c. Cheers!

·
Registered
Facelift 330ci 6MT
1,581 Posts
As for FLAC files, I dont have any but what was that music file that you sent me to test "elfer"....it played that fine, was that a FLAC file?
It was an Apple Lossless file. Similar in concept to FLAC but different in execution. Both are lossless compression formats but, whereas Apple Lossless is a propriety Apple format, FLAC is an open source format that plays on many packages across many platforms.

At the moment I maintain two versions of my music library. One in FLAC for my home media centre(s) and one in Apple Lossless just for the car. If the N6 does have FLAC, I'll be hanging an SSD off of its USB and doing away with my iPod, iTunes and Apple Lossless library entirely :)

FLAC was going to be one of the first things I try when I get my N6. But that won't be for a week yet, I imagine. I could certainly mail you a FLAC file, Jeff, if you think you might get a spare minute before then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jon-k, yea I was mostly joking as stated. That kind of storage volume is well beyond necessary (64gig micro SD is perfect for big mobile music collection). My point was that it would be preferable to optical discs for use of space.

I look forward to confirmation on FLAC format :)

Here are some lossless test files to try on the N6, in flac and Apple format, up to 24 bit 96k:

http://spottedpeccary.com/faq/

24 bit 96k should be no problem for the N6's Burr Brown DAC, assuming the interface decodes the specific file format.

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
I put the files on an SD card, popped it into my test unit on the bench.

FLAC files played fine.

ALAC did not.....Im assuming they need to be on a ipod? The one elfer sent me worked but it was on an ipod.

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
ok, well thats pretty simple then.....the answer is YES it will play lossless files, in whatever format you have them on whatever device they are meant to be played on.

·
Registered
Facelift 330ci 6MT
1,581 Posts
Indeed. If I were you, I'd add both to the supported file formats listed on the product pages of your JandT site. Lossless playback is a Big Thing to many of us who consider ourselves audiophiles. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Took car apart last night and received and installed N6 tonight. Still have some leaning to do (mainly nav), but so far so good. Sounds a lot better than stock radio.

Sent emails last night and tonight to Jeff with some install questions. He responded within minutes. Can't beat that type of customer service!

Thanks, Jeff!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

81 - 100 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.