BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 500 Posts

·
58mm of Bliss
4,398 Posts
I havent read the whole tread, so perhaps you have done some of this already.

Get rid of the electric window openers, lot of weight. Replace windows to lexan ones. Airbags in doors have to go too, replace the doorpanels with a single cheet of CF. Ad a strap to close the doors with. I'm not sure but i think leather seats are heavier than fabric ones, replace and make sure they are manually operated. Or get proper racing seats, CF ofcourse, replace backseat with two racing seats also.

On the outside, as mentioned before CF hood, trunk & roof. Front fenders perhaps if available. I have seen CF doors for the Ci model. CF rear and front bumber. Lighter wheels is a good thing, makes more difference than you would belive.

The fueltank is a heavy beast, replace with a fuelcell in trunk. At the same time get rid of the carpet in the trunk. Original exhaust system is built to last a long time. Heavy!! Replace with a lightweight system.

A set of coilover chocks will probably save some weight too.

Quite expensive, but if it should make any difference at all you have to go all the way. I would rather begin in the other end and gain more power from the engine with a supercharger. And still have a sporty car with comfort.

Will continue following your progress with interrest.

Since I have a little bit of experience with everything you suggested:

-Using Lexan to replace any window makes a vehicle non-street legal. In case you were to do this (illegally) your weight savings would be under 10Lbs for both sides.

-The inner door panels weight 13 Lbs each.

-Airbags are a total of 13 Lbs for 5 of the front 6. (You want to keep the steering wheel one for looks) If you are going to remove one, you may as well removed them all because the system will be disabled at that point.

- Stock seats are 65lbs, aftermarket fiberglass ones with brackets are about 30 Lbs. CF seats will save you a whopping 4 lbs over fiberglass for 3-4 times the price.

- Stock fenders are 8 lbs...hard to make them lighter than that without some structural issues.

- Hood, trunk, roof, and doors will cost 6k for about 150lb reduction. To do the doors you will NEED a roll cage with either an X brace or nascar style bars. (Again, part of the road specs for cars to be street legal) The cage will add all of that 150lbs savings back into the car if done right. Don't do the doors, and you'll save about 40- 50 Lbs total for around 4+k.

-Wheels you can go about 16lbs lighter than stock total before it gets to be either really expensive or really unsafe. IMO though, the best mod of the bunch. Affects acceleration, braking, and handling a great deal. I added some larger wheels that were 20lbs heavier than stock total and lost about 2 MPH at the drag strip. (Call it a 20hp handicap at the traps)

-The fuel tank is made of plastic, and it's lighter than you think. The only reason why fuel cells weight less than the stock tank is because they are smaller and don't have all the emissions stuff attached to them. Remove the emissions stuff....and you guessed it...you're not gonna be street legal. Also, the mounting of the fuel cell will add some weight, as you are required to have a certain gauge of material around it and it will need supports.

-The carpet in the trunk weights 8 Lbs I think. Think big back there...like a spare tire and you'll hit the jackpot!

-The stock exhaust system is 69 Lbs. The TSE3 weights about 60lbs unmodified, 65Lbs with cats installed. Spend big bucks on a Kromer Kraft custom exhaust with Aluminum center sections and you will get down to a feather-like 40Lbs.

-Coilovers are an average of 10Lbs lighter than stock.

Buy a supercharger and you'll go faster than with all the above done for 1/4 the price and still have a car you can give chicks a ride in.

(From the PEI330Ci BMW weight archives) :p

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
^^^ words from the master of weight saving! :bow:

A street legal kromer exhaust would be nice. Hey pei330ci, how much did your exhaust cost in all its shiny, ceramic-coated perfection?

Currently I'm just finding it a problem getting weight off the front of the car. It's really easy to get stuff out of the back, but not really in the front. I'm curious as to how necessary the engine driven fan is, considering manual transmission cars don't even have them.

Also for some reason, a transmission and oil cooler seem really appealing to me for some reason:hmm:. I wonder if they have any noticeable benefits on the longevity of fluids in a street car.

·
58mm of Bliss
4,398 Posts
^^^ words from the master of weight saving! :bow:

A street legal kromer exhaust would be nice. Hey pei330ci, how much did your exhaust cost in all its shiny, ceramic-coated perfection?

Currently I'm just finding it a problem getting weight off the front of the car. It's really easy to get stuff out of the back, but not really in the front. I'm curious as to how necessary the engine driven fan is, considering manual transmission cars don't even have them.

Also for some reason, a transmission and oil cooler seem really appealing to me for some reason:hmm:. I wonder if they have any noticeable benefits on the longevity of fluids in a street car.
Thanks!

I don't talk about the cost of stuff on my car, sorry. (I prefer to keep the focus on the product, not the price) If you are interested in what a custom system from Don Kromer costs, call or email him. Another enthusiast on this forum is having something made for his car after seeing my pictures.

The front of the car is really tough, not much there that can be removed without a compromise of some sort.

Those coolers will add weight...

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
You can take out the rear seats, door panels, rear deck, trunk liners, and trunk carpet which would be reversible.

But I really don't see the point in doing this if you plan to drive the car everyday.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Since I have a little bit of experience with everything you suggested:

-Using Lexan to replace any window makes a vehicle non-street legal. In case you were to do this (illegally) your weight savings would be under 10Lbs for both sides.

-The inner door panels weight 13 Lbs each.

-Airbags are a total of 13 Lbs for 5 of the front 6. (You want to keep the steering wheel one for looks) If you are going to remove one, you may as well removed them all because the system will be disabled at that point.

- Stock seats are 65lbs, aftermarket fiberglass ones with brackets are about 30 Lbs. CF seats will save you a whopping 4 lbs over fiberglass for 3-4 times the price.

- Stock fenders are 8 lbs...hard to make them lighter than that without some structural issues.

- Hood, trunk, roof, and doors will cost 6k for about 150lb reduction. To do the doors you will NEED a roll cage with either an X brace or nascar style bars. (Again, part of the road specs for cars to be street legal) The cage will add all of that 150lbs savings back into the car if done right. Don't do the doors, and you'll save about 40- 50 Lbs total for around 4+k.

-Wheels you can go about 16lbs lighter than stock total before it gets to be either really expensive or really unsafe. IMO though, the best mod of the bunch. Affects acceleration, braking, and handling a great deal. I added some larger wheels that were 20lbs heavier than stock total and lost about 2 MPH at the drag strip. (Call it a 20hp handicap at the traps)

-The fuel tank is made of plastic, and it's lighter than you think. The only reason why fuel cells weight less than the stock tank is because they are smaller and don't have all the emissions stuff attached to them. Remove the emissions stuff....and you guessed it...you're not gonna be street legal. Also, the mounting of the fuel cell will add some weight, as you are required to have a certain gauge of material around it and it will need supports.

-The carpet in the trunk weights 8 Lbs I think. Think big back there...like a spare tire and you'll hit the jackpot!

-The stock exhaust system is 69 Lbs. The TSE3 weights about 60lbs unmodified, 65Lbs with cats installed. Spend big bucks on a Kromer Kraft custom exhaust with Aluminum center sections and you will get down to a feather-like 40Lbs.

-Coilovers are an average of 10Lbs lighter than stock.

Buy a supercharger and you'll go faster than with all the above done for 1/4 the price and still have a car you can give chicks a ride in.

(From the PEI330Ci BMW weight archives) :p
You said it ^^^

·
It ain't cheap to be cool.
4,099 Posts
You have already done all of the things that I would say, I have the insulation out of my trunk and under the seat and like you said there is no sound quality difference. While your tranny is being worked on you should see if it is cheaper to put in a manual, auto's die, if you want to keep the auto then you should really put in a tranny temp gauge and a cooler, heat is the biggest killer of auto's.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Jorge Saca by any chance? :rolleyes:
hhhmmmm......could it be him.......LOL......
yes, im having one made aswell..... a little different than adams because of my quad style rear bumper......
what Don suggested, is he will use a very small muffler right after the headers, and then the big oval wich will split in to two big oval tips....
we will see how it comes out...
TSE3 is heavy... as adam said, it only weights a few pounds less than stock.
regards
jorge saca

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
hhhmmmm......could it be him.......LOL......
yes, im having one made aswell..... a little different than adams because of my quad style rear bumper......
what Don suggested, is he will use a very small muffler right after the headers, and then the big oval wich will split in to two big oval tips....
we will see how it comes out...
TSE3 is heavy... as adam said, it only weights a few pounds less than stock.
regards
jorge saca
I definitely want to know how that exhaust turns out. I'm interested in how much it weighs and the sound levels so I'll be keeping an eye out on your threads.

But recently, I've been around a lot of race cars and I feel like I could just run straight pipes now. The exhausts on these Super GT and Formula V6 cars are so loud that they can make a metal staircase shake from 100 feet away. In comparison, a TSE3 exhaust at full throttle is quiet. There are also a few 3-series race cars rolling around in the paddocks where I work and they have straight pipes. The only time the 3 series race cars are all that loud are at full throttle and the car with just a simple race muffler is significantly quieter.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Coupe weighs a good deal less, as does a manual transmission over an automatic. Difference between a manual coupe and an automatic sedan is over 100lbs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm just throwing ideas out, I'm not an expert at this and I'd never do any of this to my car since I love my cars 100% bone stock.

If you have xenons the halogens seem to weigh a bit less... no ballast and no projector glass... I'd guess you'd save 4-5 pounds total there but it's 100% on the front wheels.

A smaller capacity radiator might be a possibility, along with an electric fan instead of the engine-driven one. Again, 100% on the front wheels.

Maybe consider trashing the power steering pump?

The A/C air intake housing thing is pretty heavy (the thing the microfilter sits in). If you don't mind unfiltered air perhaps you could cut it down/eliminate it.

The plastic pieces under the engine and in the wheel well are pretty heavy too. Not sure if you'd want to remove... but something to consider.

The aluminum front bumper support. The Ms have a CF one, might save some pounds there. If you want to go redneck style dump the support and bumper skin and bolt on a piece of 2x4... that'll save some weight.

The glovebox is pretty heavy. Maybe you could mod it so it's only the panel and no insides. The flashlight in the glovebox weighs a few ounces too.

The copper wire running from the trunk to the front of the car... maybe you could replace with an aluminum one with similar current carrying capacity... might weigh a little less.

I read you've lost some weight... that's always a good way to lighten up the car.

These are just ideas, hopefully one of them set a light bulb off. Good luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
A few other thoughts.

New brake pads weigh considerably more than the blanks that come off when the pad is fully worn off. Consider grinding down your pads to 50% before installing. Obviously they'll only last half as long, but you'll save some unsprung weight. If you go through two sets of pads in the time of one full set and each set costs $200, then it's a relatively cheap mod.

Consider rotors from a 325, they're 1" smaller and should weigh less. You'll lose some braking distance though... the price difference might pay for some of the cost of the brake pad suggestion.

Get a smaller alternator when it's time. With no radio and a smaller battery you'll probably need less current. The ones from a 4-cylinder might be smaller/lighter. Maybe you could dump the starter and install a hand crank on the front?

Shop around when getting tires. Michelins seem heavier than average, the difference between the lightest tire and heaviest tire of the same size can be 4-5 pounds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

Id just like to say guys, ive got a 325 coupe, ive done a full m3 body conversion, my point is, i had the car stripped during the conversion, no doors, bumpers, wings, bonnet, rear quarter panels, no windows, only the drivers seat dash and carpet etc.... yes the power increase was considerable!!!! but the car was far too light, unbalanced and plain stupid! although i dont think you will go that far but bear it in mind! i perfer the luxuries.... u want it faster? do what mite46 done, slap an m3 engine in there!

P.S. taking your windshield out may solve the possible scratching by dirt considering u have no washer bottle, just dont go over 45mph! trust me u cant see with ur eyes watering!

Fair play though, each to their own i suppose!

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Haha, the last few posts have been pretty funny, as well as informative.

Right now I have in the neighborhood of $1500 to spend on mods. I'm leaning toward a pair of Recaro Pole Positions. Seems like the best option as weight to price ratio at about $21 per pound saved, weight is from the front as well as the rear, and I won't be sliding around like in the fat person OEM "sport" seat.

Anyone think otherwise?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
First of all, let me just say that this a a very interesting thread. This is the fist time I saw it, and I've read every post. I'm assuming you want to shave weight to get better handling, and power to weight ratio. I know it's a bit late, and well, i know you love your car and all, but why didn't you try to find a 330 with the performance package i.e. ZHP? I'm almost positive you would have been happier with it from the jump, and you wouldn't have had to gut your car. But since you did, I want to wish you luck, and would live to see how this thing turns out. Keep us updated, and keep it beemer.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
A sedan only weighs 100 lbs more than a coupe???? is this fact or is this :bs:??
A friend who is a member on E46fanatics looked at his manual and, if I remember right, said his manual 330ci was 3241lbs while my steptronic 330i is 3373lbs.

161 - 180 of 500 Posts