E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 Touring modified for endurance racing
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m fine, I wasn’t driving. New guy joined us. 5th lap during the practice session. We never turned one lap in the race. Pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,296 Posts
That sucks. On the bright side you pull all the good stuff out and build a new improved version. :)

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We might fix it, we’ll see. Gotta weigh the time and expense of repair compared to starting with new shell, new cage, etc.
I already sent a picture to my frame rack guy, he said no problem, bring it out.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I was thinking it looked like it could probably be saved, but I haven't seen the other side!

What series? A coworker is at Mid Ohio this weekend for the Champcar event. They race some AER stuff, too. That had some issues last year with off track excursions. Once was because they got hit and once was because there was something on the track and a few cars went off in the same spot. They always managed to patch it back together and make it back on track, though!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lucky Dog Racing league. It has taken the place of chumpcar out here in the west. We were at The Ridge in Shelton, WA. Super cool track

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,303 Posts
We might fix it, we’ll see. Gotta weigh the time and expense of repair compared to starting with new shell, new cage, etc.
I already sent a picture to my frame rack guy, he said no problem, bring it out.
Here you go!

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
Does suck. What was the root cause (besides lack of skill and red mist?)
TTO?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does suck. What was the root cause (besides lack of skill and red mist?)
TTO?
New driver with us. He was out during practice/qualify session to get to know the car. He raced sport bikes for years, and has done many track days in cars, but never wheel to wheel race in a car. There is a third gear right hander that leads to an uphill section. He was exiting the corner, shifting from 3rd to 4th, managed to hit second, let out the clutch and snap spun into the tire wall. Engine is of course also finished from extreme over-rev.
since it happened during practice/qualify, we never even turned a wheel during the actual race weekend. We just packed up, and towed 350 miles home. Nobody got drive time, we have a crashed car, and a blown up engine. Kind of a bummer of a weekend.
we will be back!

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
You could call that TTO, of the most extreme kind....
Sorry for your issues bro.

What is the aluminum plate and/or the PVC piping cattywhompas in the rear of the car? Some sort of fuel cell?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You could call that TTO, of the most extreme kind....
Sorry for your issues bro.

What is the aluminum plate and/or the PVC piping cattywhompas in the rear of the car? Some sort of fuel cell?
The aluminum plate supports a 2 inch fuel fill. The valve Is ust a vent I open when fueling. We use a stock tank, but moved the fuel fill into hatch window area, to make fueling easier. In order to comply with tech rules, I also had to build a bulkhead between the driver and the fuel fill. It works pretty good, we can dump each 5 gallon jug in about 15 seconds. A little crude, and definitely a work in progress. I would love to have a cell that fit in the stock location that holds an extra 2 gallons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts