E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today, after a lot of headache, I finally passed smog! I just wanted to give a big shout out to the E46 community and everyone who replied to my threads and posted awesome DIY's for some of my repairs! :thumbsup:

All the things I did / completed in my quest to repair my P1188, P1189, P0170, P0173 fault codes.

Repairs done to pass smog:

- New fuel filter (Mahle)
- ICV cleaned
- Checked DISA & DISA gasket
- Checked for leaks in all intake hoses (including the infamous little intake boot by throttle body, small repair to elbow using epoxy and heat shrink wrap, 100% fixed at this location)
- new MAF
- Replaced pre cat 02 (closest to firewall)
- CCV hoses (the #6 vacuum from the top of the fuel rail to the side of CCV was broke, replaced)
- Cleaned NGK Iridium plugs
- Replaced CCV
- Installed new intake manifold gasket
- Seafoam oil system / fuel system

Other major repairs done recently w/ the help of E46 fanatic searches:

- Replaced steering rack (including hydraulic steering gear box & tie rods, etc..)

Various repairs / mods done in the past with E46 fanatic guidance:

- Plugs
- Coil pack(s)
- Rotors, break pads, and sensors
- Expansion tank replacement
- Radiator replacement
- Control arm replace + bushings
- Thermostat replacement
- All kinds of various hoses
- Passenger rear wheel bearing
- Window regulator(s)
- Interior trim replacement
- Remote DDE kit
- Cosmos CAI intake
- P46 projector install
- 6000K HID install
- HID wiring harness install
- License plate delete install (when I had my stock bumper)
- Debaging
- Corner light delete (turn signal delete)
- 3M vinyl wrapped exterior modelings to match jet black
- CF Roundels all Round (Hood, Trunk, Steering Wheel)
- Tinted corners + install
- Blacked out side markers + install
- RCR tail install
- Body Color Grill Surrounds
- Fuel filter installation
- Rear speaker mounting / replacement
- M3 trunk lip
- How to program my home-link (which I had no idea how to do for the longest time)
- GM5 relay repair
- How to reprogram your key to a newly installed / repaired GM5 unit
- Business CD advanced menu options
- Illuminated shift knob (learned for DIY)
- H&R fully adjustable coil overs
- M3 front bumper install
- Peripheral iPod BMW interface kit install

I'm sure I've learned and done a few other things, those are the ones that I can name off the top of my head from fellow Fanatics! Hell, I even learned to change my oil for the first time on here! I have also met a few Fanatics at meets and what not that I'm actually still very good friends with to this day.

So thanks again to the E46fanatics community, members, and contributors! I'm working on some DIYs right now to give a little back and I'm always available to PM if you have any questions!

PS. There is no doubt in my mind I'd be in the poor house with my E46 had it not been for you guys! :p

Signed,
A lowly black sedan driver - islanq

33,392 Posts
you're welcome bud. Now post nudes of your female in here, or else.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Awesomer :thumbsup:
So, what do you think ultimately eliminated those codes? I gotta deal with these bastards very soon :banghead:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Job always.
Getting her up to speed.
Thanks man! When are you coming home from Portland again?

awesome bro! :thumbsup:
Wish I could have made it to the TNT meet! Next meet I'm there 100% for sureeeeeeee!

Awesomer :thumbsup:
So, what do you think ultimately eliminated those codes? I gotta deal with these bastards very soon :banghead:
I'm pretty sure the majority of it was the CCV, however, installing the stock air box (the FINAL) thing I did seemed to keep it off for good. I think since it was so wet and rainy out there was excessive amounts of moisture hitting the MAF and throwing it off.

The seafoam through the fuel system made my car run a lot smoother over all too!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
^That might be a good start point..
Going backward where you walked, put stock air box and replace CCV, goes on and on..First I gotta gtfo of this chair -_-
Again, thumbs up islang

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^That might be a good start point..
Going backward where you walked, put stock air box and replace CCV, goes on and on..First I gotta gtfo of this chair -_-
Again, thumbs up islang
Definitely the term, "KISS" comes to mind. I tried to do the "cheap" repairs first. The air duct work ICV & DISA cleaning, CCV + hoses, MAF (in my case it was bad), and stock air box are probably the the the blows the dealt the most damage to the codes.

In retrospect, I could have saved $90ish dollars on the 02 sensor which was probably needing to be replaced soon, but could have been done later.

On a side note, if you buy expensive plugs like me (NGK Iridium) which are technically rated at 120,000 miles (60k average half life).
http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/iridium_spark_plugs.htm

You can invest in one of these from Harbor Freight. It's a pneumatic spark plug cleaning system. Set your air compressor to 90PSI and it only takes about 30 seconds to 1 min to bring your older plugs back to like new condition. Mine only had about 35,000 when I cleaned them, they look great and you can notice the performance. MPG even increased after! :thumbsup:

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-spark-plug-cleaner-32860.html

For only $9.99 it's an impressive tool for your arsenal, I mean you run fuel injector cleaner every so often, why not pamper your plugs on your maint. days as well?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts