BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been quietly working with Okada Projects on one of their new products for BMW's, the "Plasma Lift". What this unit does is it increases the amperage output of the power output of the ignition coils which results to an amplified spark. The Plasma Lift will be great for force inducted vehicles, with the increased spark output the engine will run more consistent at high RPM's. Force inducted cars tend to misfire in the high rpm range, the Plasma Lift will remedy that problem. In turn you can run a larger spark gap and/or higher boost to increase engine performance.

We will be dyno testing the unit in the next couple of weeks and I'll be posting up the results. Not only will be test differences with and without the Plasma lift but we will also be testing to see how effective the unit is when we run different spark plug gaps.

You can see in the photos below we were just testing the unit at idle and we played with the adjustment just to show the range it has.
***NOTE: Max amperage should not be over 18 amps. The instructions will not that #3 setting will be the max for our cars, anything higher will cause damage to the ignition coils when under load.***

Stock: 9.7-10.1 A
Plasma Lift Setting #1 (MIN): 12.0-12.5A
Plasma Lift Setting #3 (MAX) - 17-18A
(For testing purposes only) Setting #5 - 19-20A
(For testing purposes only) Setting #6 - 23-24A

Okada is also testing Bremi "ERA" coil (BMW S54 latest coil) vs. Bosch coils (Standard for most BMW's). Since last year at Super Lap Battle we blew few of our coils during practice and wasted a couples hours driving out to the local dealer to get a set. I'm excited to see the results of that test, I'm curious to see as why BMW only recommends the Bremi "ERA" coil for the S54.

The Plasma lift target price will be around $500 with the Plug and Play harness for BMW's, thats a big difference compared to their Plasma Coils sets which run for $1700+.

Directly from Okada's website:

Okada Projects, an innovator in the field of Ignition Systems for internal combustion engines has released its newest product, the Plasma LIFT, Coil Enhancement for Coil Over Plug and other Ignition Systems. Extensive testing has proven that Plasma LIFT delivers reliable performance in a cost-effective product.
Plasma LIFT is connected at the Power Side of the ignition coil and increases spark voltage, which is especially beneficial for turbo charged engines. When turbo pressure is increased, the engine requires a much higher spark voltage, based on Paschen’s Law. If this extra voltage is not delivered, it can cause misfire. Plasma LIFT prevents this misfire. Furthermore, the Plasma Lift is designed so that the voltage adjustment is possible. This feature will give you more freedom to adjust air/fuel ratio and plug gap and performance is increased.
Plasma LIFT works perfectly together with all other Okada Projects Plasma Ignition parts and increases secondary spark voltage and spark current. This extremely important increase in secondary current creates a faster burn for high performance engines. In addition to increasing horsepower and torque, test vehicles have shown a moderate improvement in fuel mileage. The Plasma LIFT is engineered to increase spark effectiveness on modern cars and is 100% compatible with any late model OBD and engine control units.

Setting up for testing:

Stock:

OKD on lowest setting:

Turning it up!

Some more!

OKD Plasma lift!

All mounted up:

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
This is so VERY AWESOME !

I've been considering the Plasma Lift for some time now, thank you for doing the ground work with a great write-up. :bow:

I can't wait to see your results.

Question: does the Plasma Lift stay operational all the time or only activate during W.O.T. ?

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
How is it different from MSD STACKER???

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I've been considering the Plasma Lift for some time now, thank you for doing the ground work with a great write-up. :bow:

Question: does the Plasma Lift stay operational all the time or only activate during W.O.T. ?

Plasma Lift is always on.

How is it different from MSD STACKER???

Pros: Its 1/3 of the size, its plug and play, and OKD has a very good reputation with low failure rate.
Cons: Price, its $50 more. (but OKD comes w/ a pnp harness)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I guess the extra voltage squezed out of the coils would make them run hotter, and probably make them fail prematurly. Have they done any extensive testing on stock bosch coils and compared them to their own plasma coils?

·
Registered
33,140 Posts
I'm interested but curious.

-Why did BMW not optimize the coils they were using?
-How do you know the extra heat won't damage the coil packs?
-Is that the unmentioned trade off, ignition coil longevity versus performance?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the extra voltage squezed out of the coils would make them run hotter, and probably make them fail prematurly. Have they done any extensive testing on stock bosch coils and compared them to their own plasma coils?
I'm interested but curious.

-Why did BMW not optimize the coils they were using?
-How do you know the extra heat won't damage the coil packs?
-Is that the unmentioned trade off, ignition coil longevity versus performance?
That would be the purpose of testing, which is what we're doing. Also see that I noted that #3 setting will be the recommended "max" setting. :thumbup:

BMW did not design the S54 for force induction, the coil were not designed to apply spark with the increased cylinder pressures/larger spark plug gaps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tonester you got an amazing car. Much inspiration for my timeattack build! But enough with the offtopic. Do you know if okada have any datasheet on their coils for the S54?

·
Registered
33,140 Posts
That would be the purpose of testing, which is what we're doing. Also see that I noted that #3 setting will be the recommended "max" setting. :thumbup:

BMW did not design the S54 for force induction, the coil were not designed to apply spark with the increased cylinder pressures/larger spark plug gaps.
In that case, I can do nothing but applaud you for your research and development.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts

Plasma Lift is always on.............

Is there any "simple" way to have the Plasma Lift come on at say 80 or 90% or W.O.T., instead of it running all the time ?

Also, does the Plug n Play harness work on all E46 BMW's or just the M3 ?

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
Bump for updates.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Plasma LIFT works perfectly together with all other Okada Projects Plasma Ignition parts and increases secondary spark voltage and spark current.
:thumbsup:

Nice to know since I already have two sets of Okada's coils.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Any updates? I just ordered one last week (back order) but had to get the universal and there is no harness for BMW yet. Also, I am being told that it won't work with the m54 engine, is this true?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there any "simple" way to have the Plasma Lift come on at say 80 or 90% or W.O.T., instead of it running all the time ?

Also, does the Plug n Play harness work on all E46 BMW's or just the M3 ?
Only way to do something like that is manually with a microswitch hooked up to the ground side of the Plasma Lift.

The harness currently should work for all E46's, we'll be testing it on other models later.

Bump for updates.
Any updates? I just ordered one last week (back order) but had to get the universal and there is no harness for BMW yet. Also, I am being told that it won't work with the m54 engine, is this true?
We went to the time attack recently and we're happy to report that we had zero spark blow out at high rpm even with more aggressive spark gap. .030-.032. :thumbsup:

Dyno will have to wait until after the new year... too many things going on right now.

Toan, at what amperage do their actual plasma coils run at for our cars?
The amperage is the same as factory, the spark is intensified by the coil itself.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I dont know about this. the problem with using stock coils on stage 3 and up is coil FAILURE as much as spark failure. Permanent coil failure as in dead. You start boosting the stock coils even more I see failure happening even faster.
I for one am glad i spent the extra and got the Okada plasma coils. I think we only paid 1100 for them, not 1700.

I night be interested in the boost system for my Okada Plasmas. Is it designed to be paired with their own Okada Plasma coils too?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts