E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I'm in the market for a used BMW. I've test driven 330's, but have not test driven a 325 yet.

The particular car I test drove was a 2002 White/Grey 325Ci with a 5 speed manual, sport package, premium package, HK sound and bi-xenon headlights. Needless to say, it was a very nice car.

With 3 people in the car and the AC going full blast, I found the power to be more than adequate. The car drove very nicely, but it did pull to the left and the doors did not have a solid feel when closed (they're supposed to feel solid and give a good *thump* when you close them right?).

I have a question though. The car is a certified pre-owned with 34.5k miles. Sticker price was $32,500, which made me laugh at first. When I asked the saleswoman about the price, she said they have it on sale for the weekend for $28,000 and they pay your first month's payment for you. I checked edmunds.com, TMV with extended warranty is $30,000. It sounds good relative to edmunds.com, but is this a good deal compared to what other's are paying?

Edit: I just realized that if they, for whatever reason, don't have "fine print" regarding paying your first month's payment, I can finance it through them for 12 months, have them pay the first month's payment (a lot), then get a loan through my mom's credit union afterwards :shhh:.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What year is this car? If its 2001 or 2002, i think its a complete rip-off. Thats in my eyes. For like 35 or 36 you can get a new 325ci fully loaded, or a basic 330ci. :yikes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2002. I know I can get a new one for not a lot more, but anything over $30k is way out of my price range.

I can get a new 325i 5spd with sport package and xenons for around $30k though. Now that I think about it, a brand new 325i sounds like a much better idea.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
hootpie said:
As some of you may know, I'm in the market for a used BMW. I've test driven 330's, but have not test driven a 325 yet.

The particular car I test drove was a 2002 White/Grey 325Ci with a 5 speed manual, sport package, premium package, HK sound and bi-xenon headlights. Needless to say, it was a very nice car.

With 3 people in the car and the AC going full blast, I found the power to be more than adequate. The car drove very nicely, but it did pull to the left and the doors did not have a solid feel when closed (they're supposed to feel solid and give a good *thump* when you close them right?).

I have a question though. The car is a certified pre-owned with 34.5k miles. Sticker price was $32,500, which made me laugh at first. When I asked the saleswoman about the price, she said they have it on sale for the weekend for $28,000 and they pay your first month's payment for you. I checked edmunds.com, TMV with extended warranty is $30,000. It sounds good relative to edmunds.com, but is this a good deal compared to what other's are paying?

Edit: I just realized that if they, for whatever reason, don't have "fine print" regarding paying your first month's payment, I can finance it through them for 12 months, have them pay the first month's payment (a lot), then get a loan through my mom's credit union afterwards :shhh:.
-Coupe doors are larger, heavier and flimsier than the sedan and touring doors. Some of it is also due to the frameless windows. I've never found the coupe doors to have a solid thud.

-Pulling to the left consistently? Interesting. Could be bad control arms, bushings (34.5k miles is right around when that might happen). My tires tend to pull "downhill" (in whichever direction the road is sloping), a problem compounded by the fact that my bushings and ball joints are going.

-$32,500 is ridiculous for a 2002 with more than 30,000 miles, despite the CPO warranty. You might expect to pay that for a reasonably equipped NEW one, and that car could be up three years old! As I brought up in another thread, my friend paid $19,900 for a mint condition 323i manual when it was three years old with around 25,000 miles on it. Dealers were asking for between 24 and 26k for cars of the same age at the time, but with 20 or 30k more miles and a CPO warranty. His was an amazingly exceptional deal, but shows that low or mid 20's is not unrealistic in the least. In your case, I'd shoot for 24-25k (at most) if possible. The less, the better.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
it depends on the year. About 7 months ago I picked up my 2001 325ci with 39k miles on it. I got it for 25,000 not including registration + tax. It had both sport/premium and came with the 7 year/ 100k mile warranty. That was 7 months ago--- today these cars' values are much lower as the newer body style is coming out.

For 25k you can buy an 02 330ci.

Goodluck :thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
akhbhaat said:
-Coupe doors are larger, heavier and flimsier than the sedan and touring doors. Some of it is also due to the frameless windows. I've never found the coupe doors to have a solid thud.

-Pulling to the left consistently? Interesting. Could be bad control arms, bushings (34.5k miles is right around when that might happen). My tires tend to pull "downhill" (in whichever direction the road is sloping), a problem compounded by the fact that my bushings and ball joints are going.

-$32,500 is ridiculous for a 2002 with more than 30,000 miles, despite the CPO warranty. You might expect to pay that for a reasonably equipped NEW one, and that car could be up three years old! As I brought up in another thread, my friend paid $19,900 for a mint condition 323i manual when it was three years old with around 25,000 miles on it. That's an amazingly exceptional deal, but shows that low or mid 20's is not unrealistic in the least. In your case, I'd shoot for 24-25k if possible. The less, the better.
I thought that it was pulling to the left due to poor alignment. The saleswoman said it would be fixed before I purchased (if I purchase). I'll see if I can get it any cheaper, I'll use the fact that this is a 3 year old car with almost 35k miles and that a new one could be had for not much more.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
hootpie said:
I thought that it was pulling to the left due to poor alignment. The saleswoman said it would be fixed before I purchased (if I purchase). I'll see if I can get it any cheaper, I'll use the fact that this is a 3 year old car with almost 35k miles and that a new one could be had for not much more.
Alignment is possible. There could be any number of things wrong. Of course, an alignment would explain why it consistently pulls to the same direction.

Still, in my experience, alignments are seldom required on these cars (I've only gotten one on my car during it's entire lifetime), so I thought to bring up other likely issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice car indeed, but the price seems a little high and I thought bi-xenons started for 03 models :dunno:

Are you coming from an e30 or e36? You may regret not getting the premium package, it's worth every DM.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm coming from a Civic :rofl:.

So what's a fair price to pay for that car? It has everything I'm looking for and more (I don't really care for the premium package and HK sound though).

Edit: I configured a 325Ci with the exact same specs on bmwusa.com and it came out to $36k (invoice), so the $32,500 AND the $28000 both sound like they might be a bit too much.

Edit #2: I just noticed ak put 24-25k. When I ask them to knock an additional 3-4k off their sticker price, what should be my justification?

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I bought my car nearly 9 months ago for around that. In my case, the sticker showed $37,995 - I laughed as well. I knew I'd pay nowhere near that, as I knew the market and did my HW. My car was CPO with only 4K on the clock. Every option except navigation. Even in my color preference (which is hard to find, especially CPO). Needless to say with a price in mind and some bargaining, I left with my dream car at close to my dream price.The way I looked at was I was saving $10K over buying a NEW 2004 at the time and my car was virtually new in EVERY respect and had all the options.

·
loves M.J.
5,041 Posts
Hmm, I'd say get the Premium package (real leather feels nice ;) ) permium sound however--I feel you can do w/o, it sucks anyways IMHO.

for the car you were just describing, I would say somewhere around the 25,000 range. :thumbup:

The thing about the door, coupes don't close as nice as the sedans (like akh said) I've noticed that also, it has a sound that just doesn't go over well w/ my ears. Ever consider a sedan?? (espeically if your'e going to bring friends around--scuffs on the back seats are pet peeves for me)

·
loves M.J.
5,041 Posts
hootpie said:
Edit #2: I just noticed ak put 24-25k. When I ask them to knock an additional 3-4k off their sticker price, what should be my justification?

looks like mileage is higher than average, plus the coming of the e90 should get you started okay ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've thought about a 325i, but let's face it, all of the used 325i's SUCK.

By suck, I mean:

All of the 325i's are bone stock except for automatic transmissions. Don't believe me? Go search on autotrader.com. I found maybe 10/150 325i's that weren't configured like that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3P0rtlnd12 said:
looks like mileage is higher than average, plus the coming of the e90 should get you started okay ;)
Are you sure the mileage is high? It's an 02, which means its 3 years old. 12,000 miles per year x 3 years = 36k, which is right where it's at. The E90 argument will work very well though, thanks!

·
loves M.J.
5,041 Posts
:lmao: oh yeah, its almost 05, :banghead:

how does the condition of the car look, aesthetically?

I'd think that living in So. California, you'd have a plethora of choices (of 325i) hell--have you check on the classified section for cars here? you never know :dunno:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
3P0rtlnd12 said:
:lmao: oh yeah, its almost 05, :banghead:

how does the condition of the car look, aesthetically?
From what I saw (didn't check it head to toe), it's flawless.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
hootpie said:
I've thought about a 325i, but let's face it, all of the used 325i's SUCK.

By suck, I mean:

All of the 325i's are bone stock except for automatic transmissions. Don't believe me? Go search on autotrader.com. I found maybe 10/150 325i's that weren't configured like that.
I do believe it. The market in south Florida is saturated with 3 series cars, yet the VAST majority are automatics. Trying to find xenon and manual transmission in a 325i is like trying to find water in the desert. This is unfortunate, but not surprising...the 325i is the bread and butter model that most average buyers will be interested in. They'll get them with pretty average options. On top of this, a lot of these people will buy a dealer lot car over ordering, to avoid the wait. When's the last time you saw a lot car equipped only with enthusiast's sporting options? It'll either have the premium package and automatic or nothing at all and automatic. I've actually had people ask me if my car was some sort of special edition or package, just because it has euro clears, manual seats, upgraded OEM wheels and a manual transmission!

In fact, when I bought my car some years ago, I actually got the dealer to knock thousands off the price because it was a cancelled order currently just finished with production and the manual transmission made it "very hard to sell in this market" (and I pretended to want an automatic but seemed willing to "settle" for the manual at a discount :lmao: ). By a stroke of fortune, the car also had the exact color combo I wanted and the one option that can't be retrofitted later (moonroof).

Now, as for justifying the price, there are a number of ways to approach it. Always arm yourself with as much information as possible when attempting to negotiate with the dealer. Also make it clear that you're willing to consider other options without hesistation and don't let them try to high ball you. Go in there with figures from Blue Book, Edmunds, Black Book, whatever you can get your hands on. And, most importantly, print out ads for similar cars in your area...they should be right in the price range you're asking (expect to pay a slight premium for the CPO warranty, but consider the price of everything else fairly), especially from BMW dealerships in other local areas, and private sellers. Make it known (whether or not you actually intend to or not) that you'll go buy one of those other cars if they're not willing to work with you. Remember that their ultimate goal is to sell you a car and make money off of it, but selling the car obviously has to come first. They don't want it to sit on their lot and depreciate. If you're reasonable in your offer, they'll almost have to consider it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
even if you have to pay more, make sure to get the one that wont cause any trouble.

i paid 25k out the door for my 01 325ci (steptronic, premium, heated seats) with 30k miles, (which i paid slightly more OR i could have gotten a better deal) but it's in flawless condition...and the previous owner was like a 60 year old lady.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I got an '01 330ci - 35,000 miles w/everything but xenon's for $25k, this was from a private party of course but it's good to know what's out there.

Does the lady know anything about bmw's in general? If I was to buy a car, I'd probably check the fanatics here for something, they've most likely taken better care of their cars anyway.

If you want to spend 30 G's, get this car....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=202198

Or check this For Sale Forum altogether:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts