E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I got a little problem with my ambient temperature sensor.

A while back I let my friend drive my 325i :thumbdwn: and he crashed it.:facepalm:

I guess somewhere between the time of impact and him driving off my temperature sensor was lost.

After that my SES light came on and it read fault code P0070.

So.. I went and bought a new temperature sensor, wires and everything, installed it and it was working just fine for a few minutes. SES light turned off until..

The temperature on the dash started rising slowly until it hit about 121 now it just stays in that general area.:hmm:

I'm really at a loss here, SES light is back on, I even bought another sensor and connector but it still reads those high temperatures. I really don't wanna take it to any shop or stealership, I just want this problem fixed so I can smog it. :(

I've Googled this issue and I just keep finding issues where the temperature reads 122 or -40. That's not my issue, I have a sensor and the wires aren't touching. The temperature fluctuates but it stays in the high ranges of 118-121F

Any tips?

·
Registered
16,082 Posts
clean the connectors real good with some electrical contact cleaner. Then, try to see if you can make the female connector's terminals a bit smaller opening so it grips the penis of the male end real nice like.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Could be a bad sensor you just bought. Try another sensor.

·
Registered
820 Posts
OP stated he already bought a second sensor, as well as new connector. But unfortunately, after those, I don't have any ideas either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This sounds like the sensor harness may be damaged on the other side of the temperature sensor probe connector & likely shorting to ground. Check the resistance from ground to both sides of the car side connector with the probe disconnected. If both leads show low resistance to ground, that is your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
clean the connectors real good with some electrical contact cleaner. Then, try to see if you can make the female connector's terminals a bit smaller opening so it grips the penis of the male end real nice like.
So I tried this, and it took a while to connect it back to the sensor since they were all tight and stuff :rolleyes: Now it just reads 96F and just stays there.. it's only 76 degrees here btw.

Edit: Scratch that, it just went back up to 120.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This sounds like the sensor harness may be damaged on the other side of the temperature sensor probe connector & likely shorting to ground. Check the resistance from ground to both sides of the car side connector with the probe disconnected. If both leads show low resistance to ground, that is your problem.
Okay so say I do pull out the multi-meter and that is the problem..

How would I go about fixing that?

I don't even know where the other side of the wire goes.:cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts