BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I parked in a parking garage this morning for about 45 minutes, came back and proceeded to make my way down the garage to the exit. I notice my temperature gauge was on red and once I exited the parking garage, the temperature gauge went right back to the middle where it usually is. This is the first time I have seen this happen. Is this something I should be worried about? Anyone know what might be the problem? My car has 82,3** miles on it so is it time for a thermostat replacement/overhaul?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Yes. Definitely something to be worried about. A faulty cooling system will ruin your engine. It's highly possible that something is failing intermittently. Perhaps the system was unable to provide an adequate amount of cooling until the car got on the road or increased its RPMs, and then the needle went back to center.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,601 Posts
+1...but don't just worry, you do have to do something.

Therm broken closed, the car would've stayed overheated.

WP failing could explain that...the greater speed while moving would circulate coolant, while idling, not enough...so look for leaks and listen to WP for wonkiness.

A broken fan would also do this.

Look for leaks when you are home...turn car off it temp rises above dead center.

Could just be temp sensor, but don't chance it OP...simplest thing to diy is just a whole cooling system overhaul...about $300 in parts and easy diy with lots of help here.

Or, pay $300 and maybe get the one component you actually need replaced by an indy.

But, working with all new parts, you'll undoubtedly get the part that's broken fixed...unless it is the fan...and that you should check definitely...again, many threads on this...if auto, might just be fan clutch...but having a manual, I don't know what else might be there beyond a fuse (check) and maybe a relay (check).

I'll say it just to emphasize what Orient said correctly...next step in ignoring overheating engine...head gasket $12-1500....add a head for another $1000, or more seriously screw up engine and buy a new engine...costs more.

I cracked a head in my e36...and then started learning all I could so I wouldn't do something stupid again...didn't work...not even close...but my car is pretty well maintained!

HTH

Doug

·
Banned
7,217 Posts
Check radiator hoses after the car is warm. Does the bottom hose warm up? If not, your thermostat is broken.

But, if it did this within 1-2 minutes then you might have air in your system or a faulty sensor. The engine cannot warm up that fast from cold. Then you get into water pumps.. headgaskets.
Unlikely though. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts