E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2000 E46 4 door with factory radio. I saw this sharkfin antenna on a newer E46 model, and wanted someone to tell me if this antenna is strictly for navigation, Sat radio, or what? I know my car has the radio antenna box connected to the wires in the rear window, so I am assuming that is for normal AM/FM radio reception.

I'm new to the E46 world, and am in the process of updating and modernizing the car, fixing what is worn out, and making it a nice daily driver.

Glad to be here, and thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Steve

Attachments

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,811 Posts
if you have a 2000 then you have the "bee stinger" antenna on your roof. that as you suspected was not used for your radio. it was pre-wired for the navigation and maybe even a phone. Shark fin the same, not for the radio. so you'll find many people remove the "Shark Fin" if not in use since it's just adhered by tape.
BUT..the Bee Stinger has a hole in roof that it goes through and locked in by a nut underneath. But to answer your question it's not for the radio. the radio antenna is on the rear window glass.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alex. Yes, the Bee stringer is present on mine. Since I don't have factory navigation or anything like that, I may just remove the bee stinger antenna, and install a shark fin with an XM satellite antenna or something like that in its place and seal up the hole. Unless someone else has a better idea?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm interested in finding out how this works out for you OP. I'm not liking the bee stinger anthena I have. Want to put on the Shark fin but I don't want to get bad reception as I only listen to the radio.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks Alex. Yes, the Bee stringer is present on mine. Since I don't have factory navigation or anything like that, I may just remove the bee stinger antenna, and install a shark fin with an XM satellite antenna or something like that in its place and seal up the hole. Unless someone else has a better idea?

Just seal up the hole if it's leaking. On my old 328ci the rubber around it had dry up and it would leak a little when it rained. I wouldn't replace it because you're not gaining anything. Spend your money on other DIY.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input from all. I think I'll replace the bee stinger with a nice body color sharkfin, and install the XM antenna beneath it, that is of course after I install a new head unit. I think the sharkfin will improve the look and update the style.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,811 Posts
A shark fin will improve the car's style? You are giving a lot of dubious credit to an antenna.
that's not what he said. he said, "improve the look and UPDATE the style".

and considering he is coming from the earliest Coupe that had the "bee stinger" antenna for only the first year. yes i would have to say that classifies as an updated style. :dunno: kinda like LED tails.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Alex. And since most modern vehicles in recent years use some sort of sharkfin type antenna on their roof, I feel adding one to a 15 year old car will tend to update the style and modernize the roofline a bit. I think that's a valid goal, and certainly would look better than the bee stinger. Nothing dubious about it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Just to clarify not all MY 2000 e46's had the "bee stinger" antenna. It depends on the build date. I would definitely install the shark fin if my car had the "bee stinger" as it does update the look.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Shark fin the same, not for the radio. so you'll find many people remove the "Shark Fin" if not in use since it's just adhered by tape.
BUT..the Bee Stinger has a hole in roof that it goes through and locked in by a nut underneath. But to answer your question it's not for the radio. the radio antenna is on the rear window glass.
I lost my Shark Fin cap, all that was left was the attached. I didn't realize this has nothing to do with my business CD head unit. So I ordered a replacement cover from Ebay, that will fit over the original "guts". I was wondering why the radio seemed to have no loss of reception.
So, according to Alex, I can just pry off the "guts" and I shouldn't have a hole in the roof on a 2001 325i, with a stock business unit?
The Cap I ordered has a circuit board in it with a hanging wire. Anybody know if I can rewire my radio antenna to it, would it be worth it to try and increase my reception. I do a lot of long distance traveling.

Attachments

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,811 Posts
that "Cap" in the second photo is not for the E46 Shark Fin, that's a later style. so if you ordered that for your E46 style it will not fit correctly.

people remove the E46 Shark Fin all the time, it's adhered to the roof by tape. it will have the cable running out the back and down the window channel to a hole that enters the trunk. you would need to disconnect this and silicone up/rubber plug it closed so no water enters.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My car is a 2000 E46 4 door with factory radio. I saw this sharkfin antenna on a newer E46 model, and wanted someone to tell me if this antenna is strictly for navigation, Sat radio, or what? I know my car has the radio antenna box connected to the wires in the rear window, so I am assuming that is for normal AM/FM radio reception.

I'm new to the E46 world, and am in the process of updating and modernizing the car, fixing what is worn out, and making it a nice daily driver.

Glad to be here, and thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Steve
That antenna, on the E46, is used on MY 2004 and up cars equipped with BMW Assist. It's essentially an analog cell phone network antenna, but can be gutted and used as a housing for a Sirius/XM antenna (Delmarco has a write up on it). For E46s with Nav, the antenna is located under the parcel shelf in the rear, or, for convertibles, behind the instrument cluster in the dash.

Hope that helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts