E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not all coilovers are harsh... you get what you pay for... especially true w/ coilovers. That said, I'd never do coils on a car that sees winters... just my opinion. And I've not looked into coilover options for the xi... get to researching!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not all coilovers are harsh... you get what you pay for... especially true w/ coilovers. That said, I'd never do coils on a car that sees winters... just my opinion. And I've not looked into coilover options for the xi... get to researching!
Why wouldn't you put coilovers on a car that see's winter?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why wouldn't you put coilovers on a car that see's winter?
I'll clarify... winters in northern states that use salt on the roads. Even with good coating or treatments for the threads on coilover sleeves, they still corrode and collect dibris. I suppose if you are diligent about cleaning and re-treating them through the winter it would be better, but who remebers to do that? I've just seen what winters do to the sleeves and what happens when people then try to spin the collars.

If you just plan on setting and forgetting, why do coils in the first place? There are really only two reasons to consider coils. 1) Dumping the car lower than sport springs will go. 2) Fine tuning adjustments for racing... primarily for corner balancing. If you aren't doing either of these, then why bother w/ coils? Pick your wheels, then set-up your suspension.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll clarify... winters in northern states that use salt on the roads. Even with good coating or treatments for the threads on coilover sleeves, they still corrode and collect dibris. I suppose if you are diligent about cleaning and re-treating them through the winter it would be better, but who remebers to do that? I've just seen what winters do to the sleeves and what happens when people then try to spin the collars.

If you just plan on setting and forgetting, why do coils in the first place? There are really only two reasons to consider coils. 1) Dumping the car lower than sport springs will go. 2) Fine tuning adjustments for racing... primarily for corner balancing. If you aren't doing either of these, then why bother w/ coils? Pick your wheels, then set-up your suspension.
I wanna go with option 1) alex! all jokes aside i wanna go as low as posible during the warmer seasons then being able to raise it for the winter. Plus if i go with a certain size tire and rim i'l be stuck without being able to adjust ride hit!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Shindjo....are you aware that each time you change ride height you should technically have an alignment done? Changes in ride height affects rear camber, front camber, front caster, and potentially even toe if the change is drastic.

Are you budgeting for two alignments a year? Not trying to should harsh. Just brining the knowledge to the newbs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shindjo....are you aware that each time you change ride height you should technically have an alignment done? Changes in ride height affects rear camber, front camber, front caster, and potentially even toe if the change is drastic.

Are you budgeting for two alignments a year? Not trying to should harsh. Just brining the knowledge to the newbs.
I have a spot that does alignments for pretty cheap but i never took it into consideration! Thanks for the info!:facepalm:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yeah your "spot" better be well versed with these babies. My Indi shop performs a crazy volume of alignment business. He invested in a proper alignment rack to perform the task on BMW's, Audis' and Mercedes because most shops screw it up and you don't even know. My wife's MINI Cooper was aligned twice by other "pros" before we learned these are tricky to do a 4-wheel alignment properly. It's $100 a pop but well worth it. Cheap is a bad indicator they're hacking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts