BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We wrapped up the install of the Technique Tuning Turbo on my 2005 330i ZHP last Friday so I took a weekend road trip to put it through its paces. Informal findings so far:

1. On residential streets, getting much into the boost is basically terrifying to passengers.
2. On the highway I can now pass someone, or blow their doors completely off, which is nice.
3. Once I got out of test-the-turbo attack-mode I really began to notice just how smooth and torquey it is under more relaxed conditions. I found myself upshifting at much lower RPMs than stock. Mozying around town in 4th just seemed natural. Highway passing in 6th? Of course.
4. The sound with the stock ZHP muffler is great - deeper, but just as quiet when cruising.
5. Usually for this trip when the car was stock, the the OBC's Avg MPG readout would be 21.5. With the turbo I got 22.5 despite extra tearing-it-up on mountain roads! Surprising.

Here's the intercooler:

Here's where I mounted the Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller:

I'm glad to say the car is now as fast as it looks. Thanks Nick!

·
Registered
209 Posts
we all want videos.... you shouldnt tease us ZHP owners like that without posting videos and numbers and moe moe pictures lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to some runs and vids!

FYI, your OBC is no longer accurate for measuring MPG.
Our ECU software retains the correct scaling for the OBC's fuel consumption calculations. Hence, what is reported is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Congrats:) Any more pics of the install? Have you dynoed it yet? Hows the idle?

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,691 Posts
nice mod! congrats!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Nice Mod! :woot:

-TrippinBimmer

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Dyno is on the calendar. Video when I get a chance/someone to run with.

Hows the idle?
The idle is rock solid. More rumbly though.

Where in Connecticut are you located?
like 45 min away

Here's some more pics:

Convenient airbox mount points used for boost controller ground and actuator mount.

These are why no welding is needed - they actually stretch to form fit the pipes.

Oil pan: tapped! This was the scariest thing for me but it went real smooth. Make sure the batteries in your drill are charged enough to actually turn the monster bit.

This is the heart of it: turbo, wastegate, downpipe

The top hose comes from the boost controller actuator.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Very nice. Can't wait to see some videos of how it pulls. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AHHHHHH I remember when my kit looked new like that!!!!
You're the one in that 13 sec quarter mile video right? Nice!
What drag strip was that at? (it might be the closest one to me)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts