E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought coilovers (b+g s3 coilovers).. but I have a couple of questions

- The lower I set the coilovers, does that mean higher spring rates? = stiffer ride?
- Do coilovers settle like regular lowering springs? Or can I just dial in the height I want at install and thats done?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unless yours are different....height shouldn't effect spring weight, I thought spring rate was pretty much a measure built in to the way the spring was built and doesn't change. I don't think they'll settle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i figured the lower you drop the car, the more compressed the spring is.. therefore making it firmer.. unless coilovers work differently?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
itsjiggajames said:
well i figured the lower you drop the car, the more compressed the spring is.. therefore making it firmer.. unless coilovers work differently?
Coilovers change the location of the lower spring mounting point. The spring stays compressed the same amount regardless of the height.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slow323ci said:
Coilovers change the location of the lower spring mounting point. The spring stays compressed the same amount regardless of the height.
ahh.. thanks for the informative feedback. How does cornerbalancing work then?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
itsjiggajames said:
ahh.. thanks for the informative feedback. How does cornerbalancing work then?
Cornerbalancing adjusts the relative height of the car corner to corner which slightly changes the weight distribution. Which would also slightly change the loading on each spring. But that's not the same as lowering each corner equally, which if done using coilovers does not change the compression of the spring. Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah i c.. so if i dropped it equally in the front and equally in the rear, but didn't get it corner balanced, would there be a drastic difference in left / right handling? or would it be like regular stock springs / aftermarket springs that don't come corner balanced?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
itsjiggajames said:
ah i c.. so if i dropped it equally in the front and equally in the rear, but didn't get it corner balanced, would there be a drastic difference in left / right handling? or would it be like regular stock springs / aftermarket springs that don't come corner balanced?
If you don't get it corner balanced then it would just be like getting non-adjustable springs, assuming you drop the same amount on the left and right sides.

When I installed my PSS9's I didn't notice any difference in handling at all after corner balancing. Maybe I just got lucky on my initial instalation and it was really close already. Or maybe it just doesn't make that big of a difference :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts