E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to remove the sound deadening in my 2005 330i today and was surprised by a tear in the body itself. The tear is a few inches above where the bottom seatbelt mounts are and pretty much stretches for the width of the interior. I was pretty concerned when I saw this and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if welding up the crack would be a permanent solution.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,420 Posts
I don't want to be ignorant, but I doubt it's metal, looks like sound deadening and the texture of the crack doesn't match anything metal would do. Also it looks exactly like the material beneath that, slightly yellowish and an add on patch, not metal. Also there is sealer left and right of the crack. It's exactly at the spot where the rear bulkhead and the floor meet. Could you pry it a bit to verify what it is? Pictures can be tricky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to be ignorant, but I doubt it's metal, looks like sound deadening and the texture of the crack doesn't match anything metal would do. Also it looks exactly like the material beneath that, slightly yellowish and an add on patch, not metal. Also there is sealer left and right of the crack. It's exactly at the spot where the rear bulkhead and the floor meet. Could you pry it a bit to verify what it is? Pictures can be tricky

I would have to agree with @doukas007 as there are multiple layers of metal right there and really no stresses during operation that would weaken that area IMHO.
See the exploded view on the parts diagram.

Welp, turns out you guys are right and I am indeed a dumbass haha. Had me totally fooled for it being a metal panel until I pried it with a screw driver. I guess looking stupid on here beats being ignorant and taking it to a weld shop based off presumptions. Thanks y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
90 Posts
Morning, use a hot air blower (paint removal from wood when decorating) warm up the sound proofing pad, peel it back and check. The rear axle carrier panel front mounting points mig weld directly underneath this area, so if you have upper mig weld failure allowing the mounting point to flex it could move the panel you are showing.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,456 Posts
I've seen this area and others have the same crack. It's not the metal, rather the sound deadening. Quite normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morning, use a hot air blower (paint removal from wood when decorating) warm up the sound proofing pad, peel it back and check. The rear axle carrier panel front mounting points mig weld directly underneath this area, so if you have upper mig weld failure allowing the mounting point to flex it could move the panel you are showing.
Thanks for the input man. I’ll heat up and peel back the sound deadening to check some time next weekend (was planning on removing all sound deadening anyways, not knowing that this was also sound deadening before this thread). Quite an alarming video that you linked too. Almost seems like preemptively welding the rear axle carrier panel seams would make for some good reinforcement and peace of mind. Pretty sure that m3 in the video also took first place in worst subframe related damage that I’ve seen so far, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.