BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the tape from the dealer and it seems really shhitty. it has no curve like the spoiler so i am wondering how i will get it to follow the curve without having to cut the tape or having it bunch up. also, one side seems really really weak. its hardly sticky. what is up with that? next thing I know, my spoiler is gunna fall off on the freeway or get stolen with extreme ease.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Regular 3M body tape works fine. Make sure not to touch the sticky part, because the oils in your fingers will ruin the stick. It is a pain in the neck to get the plastic strip off though. You sould be able to follow the angle of the spoiler also.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I already bought the tape from the dealer and it is weird because one side has a real easy to peel off backing and underneath it, it seems very weak. weaker than scotch tape. And how did you guys stick the straight tape to match the curve of the spoiler? didnt the tape get bunched up on one side? Also, they have me tape with a different part number. I got 51 71 0 141 495. I have not seen that one before.

·
Banned
256 Posts
i took it to the local bmw dealers body shop and paid one of the guys to put some of their german teflon type tape on the spoiler before i installed it, it is strait tape on a roll however they cut it to fit the contour of the indention on the bottom & curve of the spoiler... its ROCK SOLID, feels like it is bolted to the car!

·
Obey my dog
2,616 Posts
the BMW tape works awesome. i first used the 3M but it's too thick. I think used the BMW tape and it's perfect. holds great too. i just recently took it off because i didn't like the position but i'm going to put it back on this weekend with another BMW tape.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WarSong said:
the BMW tape works awesome. i first used the 3M but it's too thick. I think used the BMW tape and it's perfect. holds great too. i just recently took it off because i didn't like the position but i'm going to put it back on this weekend with another BMW tape.
did your bmw tape have red peel off backing on one side and a tan-ish colored backing on the other side?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I used the BMW tape with mine and it worked perfect. Put it on the spoiler first. Pull it tight as you apply it and it will follow the curve without any bunching.

·
Flex UK Style
2,563 Posts
///ACS330Ci said:
I used the BMW tape with mine and it worked perfect. Put it on the spoiler first. Pull it tight as you apply it and it will follow the curve without any bunching.
:werd:

i did that and works perfectly

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
bmw tape works great. I just installed my spoiler. It comes straight, but it's easy to make it curve a bit so that the tape fits on the curve of the spoiler... it's more of a pain lining the stuff up. After you press the spoiler down after you have aligned it, it sticks really well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts