BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I tried searching but did not come up with anything. Anyways, my 2000 323i started acting up recently and I'm not sure how to proceed for the moment. I stay on top of maintenance, but i have not done any in the past few weeks. I have noticed my car is taking 2 or 3 cranks to get it started whereas is used to take only one. I was wondering if anyone has had this symptom before. I would like to catch any problems early if possible, but like I said not sure if it is just me worrying too much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm never considered that one, guess I'll leave it key on for a minute then try, and prob check the fuel pressure. Would that throw a code?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i would start with the basics that are a given and can't hurt:

air filter
spark plugs
fuel filter
fluids
clean maf
fuel injector cleaner
etc.

more likely than anything as said, it is a fuel delivery issue. funny enough, it is easier to change the fuel pump than the fuel filter on an e46 because you do it from inside the cabin :rofl: i did my pump and filter preventatively.

·
Banned
7,217 Posts
Fuel related problems will not set faults in the DME on the E46 . I would check fuel pressure at idle, and while driving. If you do have a pump problem you should replace the filter as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all those have been done in the past 2 or 3 months...since we just got the car. I also fixed like a million other things just nothing recently, so this started up all on its own lol

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
ya.. my bet is on a weak pump. mine wasnt even bad and i noticed a much smoother power band after changing it (was just bored and doing preventative maintenance) the siemens vdo pump is $157 on autohausaz.com + like a $2 gasket.. i would check fuel pressure like ac said but it just sounds definitely fuel related.

·
Banned
7,217 Posts
Maybe you live in a really elevated part of Edinburg ;)

Try cranking the car with the throttle half pressed just for kicks. See if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lmao no way not elevated at all! This si south Texas just hot and flat! lol Anyways I'll swing by my indy shop since i haven't seen my buddy in a while and i need to install Alldata and mitchell for them lol. They can check the pressure for me :). I know fuel filter has got less then 3 months on it, It had the oem one when i got it in February.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
lmao no way not elevated at all! This si south Texas just hot and flat! lol Anyways I'll swing by my indy shop since i haven't seen my buddy in a while and i need to install Alldata and mitchell for them lol. They can check the pressure for me :). I know fuel filter has got less then 3 months on it, It had the oem one when i got it in February.
lol

it sounds like you have a hook up but also keep in mind at $90/hr shop rates... for just the diagnosis you can basically buy a pump and put it in in like 10 minutes yourself for a bit more. but it sounds like you have it figured out.

fyi here is the pump
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...uel & Air System&[email protected] Pump Assembly

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, yea plus i got a shop full of tools between me and my family they were all mechanics at some point lol. And yea a hook up but more like my friend works at an indy shop and I do his boss favors with expensive automotive software ;) therefore saving HIM over 700 dollars a month lol. So he always tells me to come in whenever but ironically I hate asking for favors or imposing on people...weird huh? They have been telling me to bring it in for ages and I always just do things myself LOL, besides i like learning this car in and out, ya feel me? First euro car we've owned lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Battery check a good idea, cheap and easy. Years ago I bought a fuel pressure gauge that screws into the fuel delivery port, and you use it while the car is running. This has saved me tons of times and makes diagnoses so much easier. I would recommend getting a cheapo one from Harbor Freight it has served me well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea i had planned on getting one from harbor freight but i should check to see if i have one in the family toolbox :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the same problem and it got worse and worse till it would no longer start. I figured my battery was dying but it turns out it was the alternator I cant remember what the part on the alternator is called but bmw replaced the whole alternator and now works fine.

·
Banned
7,217 Posts
I had the same problem and it got worse and worse till it would no longer start. I figured my battery was dying but it turns out it was the alternator I cant remember what the part on the alternator is called but bmw replaced the whole alternator and now works fine.
Voltage regulator? Mine has been going out.. :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update got a new battery after it wouldn't start in the first cold day here. Seems fine now so far. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts