E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions from a non-mechanic:

My car - 03 M3 6T, 105k miles, original clutch, all work up-to-date, never tracked.

Known problems - throwout bearing makes noise...waiting until clutch starts to slip before changing out with new one and flywheel; and a slow oil leak.

I take the car into an Indy shop in Dallas for an oil change (nicer than your normal indy shop...started to think twice after seeing Miele Espresso maker in lobby). That afternoon, while on a lift, the service manager shows me what he says are "catastrophic issues".

Says my trail arm bushings are shot. (I haven't noticed any alignment issues or abnormal wear on the tires)...he tries to show me with a flash light...I could kinda seal some rubber with a slight tear on one side, but have to admit I wouldn't know a damaged one if I saw one.

Next he says there's play in my differential (he jerks it hard and there's a slight wiggle). Says the core is good, and I should change it with a Dinan 3.9 (cool...I'd love a 3.9...but do I need one now?).

Lastly, the throw out bearing makes noise after the car is warmed up and outta gear...but not very loud yet. I tell him I'm waiting for clutch to go...he says I need to do it now.

In all, he said there was no order of importance...ALL WORK should be performed NOW, otherwise I should park it and not drive.

All this for about $7k...when I came in for an oil change. Needless to say, I'm going to another shop I know. I figure looking at the '69 Ferrari on one side of me and a 911 RS on the other...the typical clientele here is used to absolute perfection. I'm not there.

In any case...any feedback on the issues. Was he trying to take me...or just being a perfectionist (when it was warranted)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wow! Crazy $hit. What Indy place so I can avoid like the plague!!??

- Danny

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sorry - I also meant to say - good idea on a second opinion. More repairs = more revenue. It's a sad fact but that is the world we live in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
as far as the throw out bearing its not gonna hurt to wait, if it goes out no damage should occur you just may not be able to start the car or put it in gear or anything as it is what engages and disengages the clutch, also where is the oil leak from, and my opinion on the clutch and flywheel if you do plan on replacing them i would do it all at once for sure, but hope it helps good luck. And as a technician we do try to sell additional service but this sounds a bit much sounds like he is trying to shaft you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
also about the trailing arm bushing, idk about these but i do know some bushings are split to be able to remove without removing components but i wouldnt know without looking at it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm taking it to Stett Performance. Chad is a good guy, and I trust him.

In this particular case, Autoscope is on my way to work...and decided to give it a try. I certainly don't want to damage they're reputation. My impression is that they are very thorough and are used to clientele who demand the utmost in service. For me...let's just say I don't swim in the same pool :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts