BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yea i am going to buy a system and i wanted to know if the stock headunit(mine is a cassate player) has the places to plug in the wires that get out of the amp?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
So yea i am going to buy a system and i wanted to know if the stock headunit(mine is a cassate player) has the places to plug in the wires that get out of the amp?
OEM units don't have rca outputs. You either need to buy an adaptor or and amp that can take balanced-differential signals directly.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea where i can get the amps that already come with differential signals? so i can just plug in the wires from the stock amp to the new 1.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
There is no plug and play, but an amp that handles diff. signals would just need a set of RCAs cut and soldered to the wires coming from the head unit. These wires are in the trunk at the factory amp.

As far as equipment that handles balanced-diff signals: JL, Zapco, Audiocontrol (they don't make amps but make eqs, processors), soundstream (at least their van gogh series amps).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ok thx for help! I was wondering, do i have to get a separate wiring harness if i get a in dash flip ups? i am getting a really cheap one it is really cool but i cant find the damn wiring harness for it. Do i even need it or it just plugs right in? i know i have to get one of these 2 http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=191957&page=6.
Do you know where i can get the wiring?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
The unit comes with a harness. You need another harness that is wired into the aftermarket head unit and plugs on the OEM wires.

If you get a centerred trim, you have o modify the frame behind the radio a little bit. If you are on a budget, just get the regular trim. The trim you can buy at stores is not centered, but costs a lot less and no cutting is required.

You can buy the trim, harness and antenna adaptor at any stereo shop (or best buy, circuit city, etc).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts